Search

Social Butterfly

Painful Rhyming

In my car went the sack,

a painful sudden whack.

Grocery cart took a roll,

my toe took the toll.

Doc said hairline crack.

Beware of possessed grocery carts!  Seriously, a cautionary tale to make sure your cart is really stable and not going to roll.  The usual treatment: ice, elevation, supportive shoes and I'm graduating from a basic orthotic to a custom one.  The silver lining was x-rays showed the start of an arthritic ankle, because my arch needs additional support. So I can stop that in it's tracks.   ---  Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

Great limerick, @Rhymesometimes . I feel your pain. I might have 2 toes left that haven't been broken. Rhyming is an excellent remedy for elevating a positive attitude, which does lower the perception of pain. Rhyme on, sister! 😎 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@DeahWA  Thank you, that's so nice.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Shouldn't all rhyming be under Leisure and Lifestyle?

And, aren't you diminishing the seriousness of pain as a medical condition by posting usage of the word "pain" as entertainment here?

As someone with chronic pain conditions, which coincidentally makes me grumpy, I do not appreciate the frivolity.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky  I'm sorry if you were offended by my limerick. It was not to belittle or disrespect other people's situations. My intent was the old adage, laughter is the best medicine.  Trust me when the demon-possessed grocery cart hit, and cracked one toe, sprained others and triggered the arthritis in my ankle, I was a few steps beyond "grumpy."  But I choose to see the silver-lining of getting the arthritis diagnosed.  My kidney stones have been a two year, four surgery odyssey that still has no definitive answers on never forming more.  But, I will continue to do extensive research, adjust lifestyle habits and rhyme about that too. I see what I do as levity, you say frivolity, both have light-heartedness within the definition.  That is what I like to bring to people with my rhyming limericks. ( or at least try to ) People with chromic pain could use more light-hearted humor in their life.  ---  Christine

Gold Conversationalist

ChristineAZ....you are a brave and positive victim of pain.  I hope your treatment is working and that you will enjoy a healthy and happy future.

Social Butterfly

Thank you @SIMPLEGAL .  Doing better every day, thx for asking.  Should be getting into custom orthotics in a few weeks, can't wait.   I try to be a positive, respectful and encouraging influence on line.   ---  Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you Christine! As someone who has endured 11 surgeries in 12 years, mostly work and sports related, I know a lot about pain and I find your rhyme suggestions to be therapeutic and fun.

Please keep doing what you do, which is a lot of good!😀

Gold Conversationalist

Dear postman29....OMG!  I cannot believe you have been through such terrible pain.  Your upbeat attitude is truly inspirational.  I wish you good health and a life filled with joy and happiness.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Are you in pain right now?

I am because that's what "chronic pain" means.  And my pain is not diminished by rhymes about pain.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

When you have 4 rotator cuff surgeries, can only sleep on one side, can't reach or lift above your head without hurting, had 4 knee and leg surgeries and have pains shooting through your legs every day, 3 other surgeries that are none of your business, then yes, I do have pain. I'm sorry if your pain is "chronic" but that doesn't mean I don't hurt every day. Everyone is different in how they handle pain. Lighten up. The rhymes are not meant to diminish anyone's pain. We all hurt as we get older, for various reasons, some more than others. I truly wish you well in coping with your chronic pain. No one is laughing at YOU!

Social Butterfly

@postman29  Thank you so much for sharing and caring.  Wow, you have been through so much.  I admire the fact that even though you've gone through all those surgeries, have pain every day, you show up on these forums with optimism, kindness, encouragement and, yes humor.  I thank God that you have not lost your humor, for that makes life so much sweeter.   ---  Christine

Trusted Social Butterfly

Whatever your intent is, it would just as well be served by posting under the proper category.  The guidlines say:

"Posting unacceptable topics

We have created specific categories within our community to host relevant conversations so they are on topic and constructive, and foster appropriate member connection. If readers cannot hold a constructive debate around a topic, it does not belong here."

If someone wants to laugh about pain, they can go to Entertainment.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Oh yes...and the metal can cause a painful shin injury if you hit yourself on one of those nasty bars on the lower level shelf.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@SIMPLEGAL That is so true.  Need to be on the defense when I get near shopping carts, maybe, shin guards, knee pains and metal toed shoes. 😄 You can never be to careful!   ---  Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

It is fifteen years ago today, 

the day that our mom passed away,

The pain is still real,

cuts through us like steel,

there's no words anyone can say.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@postman29  A very touching tribute to your mom.  So sorry for your loss.   ---  Christine

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP