Explore the possibilities of part-time work! Register today for AARP's online career expo Jan. 24.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Sympathy: Needed Grief Counseling

Message 1 of 11

Thank you for your kind thought and the very nice Picture of the staircase to heaven.

Beautiful. I still hurt but I believe that I will see her again. Bless you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Needed Grief Counseling

Message 2 of 11

Wow, everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable about grief resolution. I surely did not expect it. I want to thank everyone for offering suggestions and tips to help me deal with it.  I am following up on everyones suggestions with self-help books on grief, talks with other family members and professional counseling very soon.

Again Thanks everyone

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Sympathy: Needed Grief Counseling

Message 3 of 11

My sympathy to you in the loss of your mother.  May you find peace and comfort.

STAIRWAY.gif

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11
I'm very sorry for your loss. In a similar circumstance, when my wife passed away, I found a grief support group through the hospital that was good for the moment. Later I contacted a hospital where I had been a patient and asked if they could help me out. They did over a couple years. In my case I went to both a counselor and a psychiatrist. The latter for Rx meds I needed and the hospital required what they called drug management. I'd say my longer requirement for help was due to depression, in general, more than grief. Hope this helps anyone looking at your question and responses. Many need this kind of information.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

BHaney27,

If your mother was under the care of hospice, part of their service is grief counseling.  I first used this service when my husband died and then again when my mother died.  Available for as long as it takes - their counseling sessions are many times group oriented and I am pretty sure that they offer it to others experiencing loss also.

Moving through the different stages of grief is different for each person - I had a particular hard time with anger after the loss of my husband.  Talking during this time, about the people that you are missing, about the process of grieving, recognizing what is normal and what is not and actually just sharing the load, does help.

They help you and you help others -

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

I just want to applaud PattyDiane's thoughtful and very kind response to your personal situation.  I also want to reinforce her suggestion about "Hotlines" and let you know that the counselors are there to listen and help no matter what your problems are.  I was a Crisis Counselor for ten years and I can personally attest to the care and concern of the counselors as well as the ongoing training required to maintain their skills and competence.  Please do not be afraid to reach out to someone...even if it's 2, 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning.  The counselors are there to help you sort out your problems and grief is a problem we all face.  I hope things are looking up for you now and I do hope you have sought out a grief counselor or psychologist/psychiatrist to help you understand the grieving process and help you through it.  Heart

~  Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11
thank you community host for suggesting patty Diane. helpful very helpful thank you.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11
thank you for all of the great information I could not think for the loss of my mother last week. I appreciate you including other areas of grief as I can now pass on this information to other family members dealing with other areas of grief thank you
Kudos
Views
Retired Moderator
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11
PattyDiane has some great ideas there. And, you may also want to try to contact a grief counseling group , through Hospice" https://netforum.nhpco.org/eWeb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=NHPCO&WebKey=a9338cdd-546a-42f5-9061-6b91dbdb3...
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

I happened top notice your posting this morning.  I also noticed that, although several people have viewed your post, nobody has responded, so here goes.

It's difficult to give direction to someone without having more information.   I did notice that your post is at 2:00 AM and I want to congratulate you for reaching out.  That is the first step in getting help.

I don't know you or what the grief is about, however in my experience it doesn't matter that much the source of the grief.  As the saying goes "Pain is Pain" and it's the same with grief.

I got professional help from a therapist and I strongly recommend that.  I prefer psychologist's rather than psychiatrists because they use talk therapy instead of depending on pharmaceuticals which have side effects and sometimes makes the situation worse.  In my experence it's the talk that is the important element in the therapy, which means it might be just as therapeutic with a supportive friend, a minister, or a support group. 

However at 2:00 AM there is a shortage of all the above.  In most cities there are crisis lines.  I had a friend who worked for one and when she was on duty overnight she prayed someone would call and give her something to do.  And, you don't have to be suicidal to call.   They are anonymous which makes it easier to talk.  AA and Al-Anon also have crisis lines in many places and are listed in the phone book.

My own personal activity when dealing with grief is to write about it.  This can be in the form of a journal or diary, or sometimes I post here on AARP on the "Writing Memoirs" Group or on the "Short Stories to Share" Group.  There used to be (before the recent changes on AARP) a group specifically for "Grief" but it seems to have been discontinued.  Perhaps they will reinstate it, however there are some singles groups that get into the topic now and again with certain discussions.  I haven't checked out the groups under the "Working" heading but it's possible there are some dealing with job loss, which brings up it's own set of issues.

I hope some of this helps.

Kudos
Views