Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Naturopathic Medicine

Message 11 of 13

@fifty1997 wrote:

Glad this is being discussed.  Yes, I prefer naturopathic.  I use essential oils and herbal blends along with homeopathic remedies.  I've had serious medical problems that required conventional medicine, and glad for it, but to help my body heal and get rid of chemicals, I use natural.  Unfortunately, I can't see government going along with this as part of "medicine" and allow coverage.

It depends on your state, specifically the insurance commissioner office as to whether or not providers are licensed and if coverage is available.

In April 2014 Maryland became the 18th state to allow licensing.

Maryland Licenses Naturopathic Doctors

Section 2706 of the Affordable Care Act creates an opening:

Kaiser Health News July 2013Health Law Boosts Status Of Alternative Medicine -- At Least On Paper

From the link:

"And with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, the field could make even more headway in the mainstream health care system. That is, unless the fine print -- in state legislation and insurance plans -- falls short because of unclear language and insufficient oversight.

One clause of the health law in particular -- Section 2706 -- is widely discussed in the alternative medicine community because it requires that insurance companies "shall not discriminate" against any health provider with a state-recognized license. That means a licensed chiropractor treating a patient for back pain, for instance, must be reimbursed the same as medical doctors. In addition, nods to alternative medicine are threaded through other parts of the law in sections on wellness, prevention and research. "

You can read more at the above links.  If people want it, they have to try to get it passed at their state level.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Naturopathic Medicine

Message 12 of 13

Glad this is being discussed.  Yes, I prefer naturopathic.  I use essential oils and herbal blends along with homeopathic remedies.  I've had serious medical problems that required conventional medicine, and glad for it, but to help my body heal and get rid of chemicals, I use natural.  Unfortunately, I can't see government going along with this as part of "medicine" and allow coverage.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Naturopathic Medicine

Message 13 of 13
Do you use it?
Would you use it if it was available under your insurance plan - Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, employer coverage or individual coverage, on or off the exchange?
* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Replies