Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

My conclusions about cholesterol

Message 1 of 1
When i was 50, I had a full-body CT scan.  The results were somewhat unexciting, but at least I found out that due to the amount of arterial plaque buildup, I was in the 0% risk category (no buildup).  I took the results to the doc, he said those scans don't mean anything, and he did some bloodwork.  I got in to see him soon after the scan, and they do have you do the whole bowel prep and everything for like 48 hrs before, so I was in ketosis (which he should have realized) and that morning I had had coffee with heavy cream in it.  Well, the bloodwork came back showing I had cholesterol levels through the roof, glucose levels in the diabetic range, and my bp was elevated.  I knew I needed to lose weight, so I embarked on a campaign to lose 20% of my body weight, which would get me down to what I weighed during my college days (except I weighed a lot less in graduate school).  Anyway, I achieved my goal in about4 or 5 months.  During that time, I had some chats with my daughter who is a phlebotomist, med tech and histologist, and she says that it is unfortunate, but most docs do no know how to either properly conduct simple tests for like cholesterol as well as interpret them.  I tried telling my doc that his test was improperly conducted but he just scoffed at that and said well if you really believe that lets schedule another one.  We did -- I had nothing but fruit smoothies for a week before the test (a bit extreme, but I wanted to make sure that I had no cholesterol going in and enough sugar to keep me out of ketosis.  Well, the bloodwork showed perfect cholesterol levels, normal bp and glucose levels in the normal regions. 

The point is, don't believe everything the doc tells you, and certainly don't belive that he knows how to properly conduct tests.  Usually they say something like 'don't eat 12 hours before' or something like that, but that is assuming you have a pretty high metabolic rate and any cholesterol intake is purged.  My metabolism is a bit slower than most, so that's why I gave myself a week, to be sure.  I didn't tell the doc any of this and I figure the results speak for themselves.  I think the weight loss had more to do with my health than anything though.  I try to be as active as possible, run 3 to 10 miles a week, bike when I can and swim 1200 yards on fridays.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies