Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Managing chronic pain

Message 51 of 57
Oh, and I'm tired of my own complaints. So, thanks for listening.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 57

For the past 3 weeks (around the clock) I've been on a generic arthritis strength acetaminophen.  The last couple of days I've downgraded to extra strength. I know, I know, not good. But the pain has been pretty much  unbearable. With sciatica you can't sit, sleep, or even lie down to rest comfortably. I also took muscle relaxants this time for about two weeks. I can't take NSAIDs or even an over the counter inflammatory due to stomach issues. Pretty much suffer it out. Also use occasional ice. Heat seems to make it worse with the inflamation.

Afraid of starting on prescription pain killers. 

I have advanced DDD in lumbar area and two other bulging discs at different levels in lumbar region. I had a cervical fusion 9 years ago (surgery induced fibromyalgia there, not my imagination, told to me by a physical therapist) It still bothers me at times if I'm not careful.

I do seem to be getting better now..but the left over depression from all of this is hanging on today. Plus, it's cold and rainy here today.  Smiley Sad  Getting to old for this.  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 57

Hi there,

I know the feeling well Smiley Sad , I am on Norco for spinal stenosis and several other spinal issues.

When I go to any other doctor for some other reason ( not pain ) and they ask for a list of the meds I'm on _ I get that look and they always comment on the pain med, say " you need to get off that ".

I have told them right out _ I would if I wasn't in such awful pain everyday of my life.and HELLO- I am seeing a spealist for my spine and he put me on them.  I know they are addicting, but I DO NOT abuse them and without them I would have no quality of life at all.

I also get angry over the new laws that make me have someone drive me to my doctors every month now ( 1 hour each way ) to pick up my script and take it to the drug store. I don't understand how this is hurting people who abuse or sell drugs? All it does is make it harder for those who need it to get it.

I am so sorry you were treated like that Smiley Sad , don't let that get to you!     Blessing to you and know your not alone.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 57

I have been suffering from chronic pain sice 2002. In 2000 I had to have a cervical fusion that was successful then 2 years later, I began having pain again, I was then diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I am seeing a great pain management doctor now, but due to allergies and side effects, the only things that helps my pain are opiates, MS Contin, Dilauddid. However, when I go to the ER or a new doctor, the first thing that the nurses and doctors tell me is that I have to stop the narcotics. I feel so asshamed that now I will not even go to the ER when I should. I had a milkd heart attack in October, 2014 and the resident who was taking care of me would not give me anything for pain and called me a drug seeker, then said that the doctors who prescribed the medicatios for me should not be allowed to practice medicine. I got up the next morning and left the hospital and have not been back since. Even though there have been several times that the chest pain is so bad that I have fallen to the floor in the grocery store. I am so frustrated at being treated like this and there is nothing to do. I feel sorry for the doictors that really care because now, they have to see a patient for a precription for Vicodin. The situation with the pain medication abuse is terrible, but why are we, the ones who benefit from it, are the ones suffering? I did not choose to be "Opiate Tolerant" but that is what the pain management doctor has as one of my diagnoses.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 57
I've tried those and more. Don't work for me.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 57
Managing chronic pain is hard. I finally found a combination that works for me. Upper durals as well as Fentanyl patches. The injection I do once every 5 or 6 months others may need them more often than others. If your not happy with your pain management doctor then find another. I went through 4 before I found my current doctor.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Managing chronic pain

Message 57 of 57

Kudos
Views