AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Managing chronic pain

Message 31 of 57
I have a similar story, but I would like to ask is who can we write to or how can we start a grassroots movement to change this law and possibly make it easier and cheaper for seniors to get their medications without the monthly doctor visit. My expenses every month plus addition $50 every few months for a drug test added to the visit (to make sure I'm taking it and not selling it????) is money needed elsewhere. My back doctor says my spine is not fixable. I do not want to lay around in pain until I die. And making it a crime to assume and accuse someone of being an addict because they worked hard 40+ years and are paying a physical price.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 57

To this point, in WI, I have been able to pick up scripts for my wife's meds and bring them in to pharmacist. So she does not have to come, and we do not get charged for a 'visit'. So far....

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 57
Ohio has the same procedure. You must go to the Dr. to receive a prescription for opiates.Hopefully we will pass the marijuana laws to give us an alternative
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: Managing chronic pain response to rb92419543

Message 34 of 57

Yes it is a law in Colorado. Everytime you go to a pharmacy and have a prescription for any narcotic, the scan it to the Board of Pharmacy in Colorado along with your ID and then any doctor can get this report to see if you are taking the medications  you say you are or to see if you are Dr. shopping for drugs. You can also call the state board of pharmacy and fill out e release form and they will send you a copy of your report. I check mine once a year just as if it were my credit report. I make sure that it is only my information on the report and that it is all accurate. I am glad that they started this. I wish that they had a national data bank for this because I think they would catch more of the people that they are looking for than just having a few states have information for their state. Also this report from Colorado does not show any prescriptions you have filled through a mail order pharmacy unless that pharmacy is here. So it only shows the doctors, patients, and pharmacies here in Colorado.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Reply to JN6768: Managing chronic pain

Message 35 of 57

Dear JN6768,

Your post is a good one! Turmeric is a natural spice used to treat pain and also heal stomach ulcers.  I wish the drug manufacturers would focus more on this symptom.  Right now acetaminophen (Tylenol) and aspirin (NSAIDS) are the ONLY over-the-counter pain relievers without a prescription.  The brands may be different, but that's all.

Long term use of either can damage the stomach or liver.  We need a stronger type of pain relief but something that is coated to protect other organs.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 57
The people who treat you like this have never experienced chronic pain. People who have not experienced it should not be allowed to treat or comment or make rules about it. Until I experienced it I had no concept of the utter desperation and depression that it causes. These people think they are doing good and all they are doing is causing needless suffering.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 57

I use Ice Packs and Soothanol X2 for my back pain.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 57
I have had chronic pain for twenty years.My problems were so severe that when I put in for disability,they accepted me.I tried everything for pain,nothing worked.thenI tried the natural way.I found Turmeric,it is a spice(I get it in capsules) at Walmart.It works better than Cleabrex or Vioxe.You take it every day and it cuts back on inflammation. It worked like a miracle for me..I also pray for the pain to go away.God is good.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 57

I'm so sorry for your predicament, and it could have been written, word for word, by my kids'

mother here in Ft Collins with the addition that one doctor scolds her for taking these pain medications while another tells her that she must take them regularly to manage the pain. I wish that I knew the solution, but I'll encourage her to share yours and other posts regarding this. I hope and pray that she, you, and others will find some relief. Please don't give up.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 57

I believe that every state requires you to go to the Drs. once a month a pick up a refill.  I lived in VT and am now in SC and it works the same way.  I have suffered from chronic pain since 2011, TKR went bad and the quality of my life is zip.  I have bad reactions to the usual pain killers and am on Methadome 60 mgs/day which does help with the pain but the longer I'm on my feet the worse the pain gets.  I'm glad I found this forum as I don't feel alone as must of my "friends" have disappeared.

Kudos
Views