Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Managing chronic pain

Message 41 of 54

I don't know if it's an actual law here in Colorado, but it is required to go through those exact steps to get narcotics.  There is a state registry available to pharmacies and doctors.  They check with this before filling the written scrip to make sure you're not filling them all over the state by different docs.  It is horribly unfair to those of us who do not abuse meds. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 54

Oh my, doesn't anyone remember the shake up about Fentanyl? I thought it was banned! I was on it, but I was allergic. Now, almost everything has been tried on me and nothing worked long term, so now (three years or more) I take nothing for pain. After my doctor moved away, there was no one else in my town to trust. It's very hard, but I exercise everyday and try to eat right. I do use Turmeric and Cayenne pepper powder daily. To preach to the non-choir, There is nothing, nothing you do that does not hurt. I've heard that doctors don't study about pain in medical school. Wow! I know my doctors did not understand that I didn't want to be addicted to anything. I don't want a high. What I want is the pain gone, even for a few hours per day... Friends, I know what you feel. I say hang in there. I know it feels like you're going to lose your mind. Get through it minute by minute if you must. I've done it, you can too. Maybe doctors will catch up soon.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 54
My doctor told me the same thing initially, but when I pressed for more information, it comes down to the insurance group requirements or the Medical groups policies. Mine won't allow them to issue more than a 30 day prescription of these opiate drugs. So now I also have to pay for an appointment with my dr every 2-3 months and she write monthly prescriptions, labeled with "do not fill before" dates on them. More cost to insurance company and us for these appointments just to pick up the prescriptions.
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 54

Here's what I do:  I take meds that don't work.  I exercise as much as I can.  I pray.  I cry.  I spend sleepless nights because there's no comfortable position, so I'm tired all day.  I keep telling myself I'm stronger than the pain, not looking forward to the day when the pain proves me wrong.  I get on with my life the best I can.  I can't get a job because I'm in constant pain.  No doctors will put me on disability because they can't "name" the condition.  That's how I "manage" chronic pain.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 54
Only those that have chronic pain brought on because of an on the job( being a rural route mail carrier) understand. I was hurt in 2001 and now the DDD ans spinal stenosis and bulging discs in my neck and fused tailbone because of the workers comp office won't pay for ANY kind of surgery.
It makes me very angry. I hope that all the doctors, all the people that judge me find out first hand how chronic pain affect a persons life. I hope the have the pain that I have so bad that they cry at night . That includes ALL the so called workers comp doctors that don't have any pain. And all the people that make the laws sign the bills.everyone who has anything to do with making it so hard to get out of pain. I know it's mean, but when you are in the kind of pain that I am in, you would understand.mean, and the odd things is that I had both my babies without any mess and I have a very high pain tolerance. So when I saw I am in pain. Then those that know me understand that I AM IN PAIN.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 54

Well in n.y.. refills on opiate pain meds are no longer legal and it is also not legal for doctor to call in prescriptions,so you have to physically go to your doctors office to get them once your 1 month supply is used up.This also means a charge for the office "visit".

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 54

There are no laws that require a patient to have somone drive them to pick up a prescription. I don't know who told you this but they lied. Ask them for the state statue that says this. It will be interesting to see what they make up.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 54
Oh, and I'm tired of my own complaints. So, thanks for listening.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 54

For the past 3 weeks (around the clock) I've been on a generic arthritis strength acetaminophen.  The last couple of days I've downgraded to extra strength. I know, I know, not good. But the pain has been pretty much  unbearable. With sciatica you can't sit, sleep, or even lie down to rest comfortably. I also took muscle relaxants this time for about two weeks. I can't take NSAIDs or even an over the counter inflammatory due to stomach issues. Pretty much suffer it out. Also use occasional ice. Heat seems to make it worse with the inflamation.

Afraid of starting on prescription pain killers. 

I have advanced DDD in lumbar area and two other bulging discs at different levels in lumbar region. I had a cervical fusion 9 years ago (surgery induced fibromyalgia there, not my imagination, told to me by a physical therapist) It still bothers me at times if I'm not careful.

I do seem to be getting better now..but the left over depression from all of this is hanging on today. Plus, it's cold and rainy here today.  Smiley Sad  Getting to old for this.  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 54

Hi there,

I know the feeling well Smiley Sad , I am on Norco for spinal stenosis and several other spinal issues.

When I go to any other doctor for some other reason ( not pain ) and they ask for a list of the meds I'm on _ I get that look and they always comment on the pain med, say " you need to get off that ".

I have told them right out _ I would if I wasn't in such awful pain everyday of my life.and HELLO- I am seeing a spealist for my spine and he put me on them.  I know they are addicting, but I DO NOT abuse them and without them I would have no quality of life at all.

I also get angry over the new laws that make me have someone drive me to my doctors every month now ( 1 hour each way ) to pick up my script and take it to the drug store. I don't understand how this is hurting people who abuse or sell drugs? All it does is make it harder for those who need it to get it.

I am so sorry you were treated like that Smiley Sad , don't let that get to you!     Blessing to you and know your not alone.

Kudos
Views