From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Main Causes of Pelvic Prolapse

Message 1 of 6

@BronwynM413834 Yeah, I tried to explain that I have always been an anomoly of a female and that since I was emancipated at 15 years old, the 23-y-o before them was actually more like 35. Didn't pierce their ego, that bit of knowledge, so I ditched 'em. And continue to call them all bl33p holes, lo these many decades later. Smiley Wink 

Meek and mild wallflower, that's me. Smiley Wink (cough, cough)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

@Epster Ouch, some doctors always think they know best right :-)

I am glad you came right through and maybe at some stage, we should all learn your language, Smiley LOL

I had two kids already and at first, my doctor said no, you're too young, you may want more kids, yada yada yada, so I told him if he doesn't I will find a doctor that will, after many talks he eventually agreed and I have never been sorry.

Sharing is caring :-)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@BronwynM413834 Oh that stinks! I'm sorry they didn't take proper care of you.

FWIW, I had 13 male doctors who refused to give this childless, married, 23-year-old with debilitating endometriosis a hysterectomy, because in their infinite wisdom they >knew< one day I'd long to parent and they were gonna make me suffer through weeks-long hemorrhaging escapades every month until I got around to doing what I was on this earth to do. (bl33p holes Smiley Happy) Then I found a female gynecologist, who, apparently heard me cussing up a blue streak while in post op (the men's idea of a fix: hey, we'll scrape the uterus every month). She told me if I signed a form releasing her of responsibility for making me sterile, she'd yank the offending organ for me. Smiley Happy I almost kissed her on the lips. Smiley Happy

Moral to the story: it pays to know enough choice words that you can cuss --a lot-- while under anesthesia. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Hey @Epster

Lol, yes, I found the bleeps funny as well but as long as everyone can understand :-)

I am glad that you had a good doctor, I had my hysterectomy at 28 after two kids due to the uterus collapsing and had my one ovary removed at age 34 as it actually burst and no one thought of support for the other organs, well, a lesson learned I guess :-)

Sharing is caring :-)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Hi @BronwynM413834 When I had a (partial) hysterectomy in my 20s, my doctor pinned my innards in such a way as to support the remaining organs. She did this to guard against prolapse. So far so good. Smiley Happy

PS Hilarious that the AARP system bleeped so many of your truly medical terms. Oh, the horror of using accurate language! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Main Causes of Pelvic Prolapse

Message 6 of 6

For quite some time I have been struggling with a weakened bladder, especially when coughing. Yet, this wasn’t as bad an issue when it started, but lately, I have also been having some cramping in my pelvic area which I just couldn’t pinpoint. So, I visited my doctor and she suggested that it may be a pelvic prolapse.

Here is some detail on what it is for those who may also be wondering about it. It helped me understand my condition better and because I am not fond of having operations, I will rather try to keep it in control for as long as possible.

Nearly one-third of women are affected by pelvic prolapse involving a pelvic organ. This is known as a disorder of the pelvic floor. Some muscle groups form a type of hammock within the pelvic floor across the opening of your pelvis. Usually, the tissue and muscle that surround it keep organs of the pelvis in place.

At times the tissues and muscles might cause problems. Generally, this can develop through childbirth, but it is also commonly found with the aging of women. With these disorders, it’s possible that one, or sometimes more organs within the pelvis can stop functioning properly.

It can relate to the following:

**bleep** incontinence

Urinary incontinence

Pelvic organ prolapsed

womens-2684462_1280.jpg

About prolapse of the pelvic organs

Generally, it refers to drooping or descending of your organs. When this happens it may affect the following organs:

Rectum

Small bowel

**bleep**

Uterus

Bladder

Pelvic prolapse is when an organ starts to descend either into or even to the outside of your anus or vaginal canal. Depending on which organ, it can be referred to as:

Rectocele – which means prolapse of your rectum

Enterocele – is for prolapse of your small bowel

Vaginal vault prolapse – when your **bleep** prolapses

Uterine prolapse

Urethrocele – this is associated with the tube or urethra

Cystocele – it is when your bladder prolapses into your **bleep**, and it’s a very common problem

For more detail on pelvic prolapse and these mentioned above visit

https://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/tc/pelvic-organ-prolapse-topic-overview#1

https://www.obgynecologistnyc.com/conditions/pelvic-prolapse/

young-woman-1191978_1280.jpg

Reasons for pelvic prolapse of organs

Most of the time, pelvic prolapse is caused by the strain of giving childbirth. Ordinarily, these organs are kept in their place by the tissues and muscles located in the lower part of your belly, the abdomen. With childbirth, the muscles may stretch or weaken, and if they don’t recover on their own, they won’t be able to support your organs found in the pelvis.

It may also happen due to a hysterectomy surgery. This is when the uterus is removed and can happen due to the fact that it also offers some support for the different organs within your pelvis. Anything which could increase the pressure inside your abdomen may cause a prolapse.

Here are some of the ones that are most commonly the reason:

Surgical hysterectomy for removal of your uterus

Cancers of your pelvic organs

Constipation

Chronic and long-term problems with your respiratory system, like coughing

Obesity

Labor during pregnancy, plus childbirth

Sometimes genetics can also be the cause

Aging among women

Other factors of risk may include:

Family history

Being Caucasian

Excessive weight lifting

The possibility of preventing pelvic prolapse of organs

Most factors of risk for prolapse of pelvic organs may be out of our control, like a surgical hysterectomy, difficult delivery with childbirth, aging, and family history. However, it’s possible to reduce your chances of developing such problems.

You could reduce your chances by trying the following steps:

Avoid getting constipated.

Try to maintain a weight that is healthy.

Perform daily Kegel exercises in order to maintain an excellent strength of your muscles within your pelvis.

You should try to stop smoking, because it may affect your tissue, plus with chronic coughing mostly found among smokers, it can also increase your risk to develop some problems.

If you have any other tips, please do share as sharing is caring, thank you.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season