Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Low T from AARP Bulletin

Message 1 of 2

RS, if you can establish care from an excellent Internal Med or Geriatric PCP, they will be able to give you this therapy if it is indicated and does not conflict with another condition or with a necessary med.

You can get a shot of T in an adjuvant or something like that once per month and i believe cost would be roughly $20. allowable without office visit. The gels tend to cost well over $300. per month Allowable.  Good luck.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Low T from AARP Bulletin

Message 2 of 2

I just got through reading the article in the AARP Bulletin.  And I was appalled at the lack of real information.  This is a subject that needs to be brought up and authorities ciited with real information.

I for one believe in the problems that can be caused by Low T.  Because I have been there and done that.  I was seeing a DO who is more on the homeopathic side of medicine.  I changed my eating habits following some guideline not really a diet per se.  I was able to lose 50llbs over about a 6 month period..  I also suffer from ED and when he checked my testosterone levels checked.  They were borderline at about 300 and the free testosterone levels were low.  First we tried the gel while that worked it was inconvienent and messy.  Next we tried pellets that were injected under the skin and those lasted for about 4 months.  I had to pay for those myself and he would charge me for an office visit to inject them.

The point of all this is that after I stopped getting the pellets injected and I wasn't applying the gel anymore my level of activity dropped immediately I started gaining weight.  The ED returned.  I have now gained 60lbs and my activity level way down.  My testosterone level is still at around 300 but my new doctor won't prescribe anything.  Try as I might I can't lose weight and I am tired most of the time.

It would be really nice if when you write an article someone did some real research and at least gave some viable options.  I have always been one to have a lot of input into my health care so maybe I know just a little bit more than some.  And informative article would have been to give some guideline on what to look for and what to watch out for.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies