From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Lidocaine infusion

Message 1 of 5
Hi again Tootyfruitness,

Well, I can tell you when I did have the epidurals and other procedures that I did have, they did help.

It took some time for me to feel the total effects from them, though. 

When you have an epidural done, for example--depending on the patient and what the doctor decides, etc.--they are usually done in a series of three at the most, if they are successful. 

In other words, if the first one seems to help, then you have another one, and if that one also works, then you have a third. They are spread out over a period of weeks between them, to give them a chance to work and to see if they have been helpful.

I have had them done both in my neck and upper back, and they especially helped in my upper back where they calmed down pain and muscle spasms there. I would have the series of three, for example, and I would be good for about a year then, before I had them again in my upper back. 

I remember my PM doctor telling me to give the epidural medication--or procedure--time to work or to take effect--that it needed time to get through the spine first and to then work its way through the nerves and muscles, etc.

I have had other types of spinal injections and procedures too, so if you any other questions, I would be happy to try and answer them for you. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5
In response to "Re: Lidocaine infusion":
Hi Tootyfruitness, I have never heard of a lidocaine infusion until now, after reading your post.  First of all, let me tell you how very sorry I am that you are in any kind of pain.  I have had epidurals and other kinds of pain relief procedures that involved the use of diffient kinds of local anestethetics like marcaine or buvipicaine mixed with a spinal steroid. I hope that this procedure with lidocaine offers some kind of pain relief for you. I am sure that you already know that you have to let your pain team know what is or isn't working for you. I wish you all of the best while you are trying to find some kind of pain relief.
Posted by oldgraymare2

Thank you for the kind concern oldgreymare2
I have an appointment to go back an see my pain management consultant in a months time. Today I feel slightly light headed, but I don't think the pain has lessened any. I'm hoping this is one of those slow release treatments that takes time to get through your system. But its definitely not working for me so far.
Have the treatments you mentioned had any impact at all on your pain levels?
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5
Hi Tootyfruitness,

I have never heard of a lidocaine infusion until now, after reading your post. 

First of all, let me tell you how very sorry I am that you are in any kind of pain. 

I have had epidurals and other kinds of pain relief procedures that involved the use of diffient kinds of local anestethetics like marcaine or buvipicaine mixed with a spinal steroid.

I hope that this procedure with lidocaine offers some kind of pain relief for you. I am sure that you already know that you have to let your pain team know what is or isn't working for you.

I wish you all of the best while you are trying to find some kind of pain relief.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Lidocaine infusion

Message 4 of 5
Hello, I'm new here and hoping I can get some help from someone.
I've suffered chronic back pain caused by a bulge in back pressing on nerves. Its left me wheelchair bound and I'm on a whole ton of pain medication which at first had me bed bound. I was barely able to talk and it honestly was the worst time in my life. Over the course of two years I tried so hard to reduce the medication to a balance were I can tolerate the pain, but manage to actually have some quality of life also.
My pain management consultant suggested I try a lidocaine infusion to see if this would help the nerve pain, which I've had done today.
Whilst it was being infused through a canula in my hand I felt no changes at all. The consultant said I'd probably experience numbness around the mouth or I would feel fatigued. I felt neither. I sat and had this drip and felt.... Nothing.
I came home and did feel tired, so have had some sleep and have woken slightly nauseous.
Has anybody here had any experience of a Lidocaine infusion?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Lidocaine infusion

Message 4 of 5
Hello, I'm new here and hoping I can get some help from someone.
I've suffered chronic back pain caused by a bulge in back pressing on nerves. Its left me wheelchair bound and I'm on a whole ton of pain medication which at first had me bed bound. I was barely able to talk and it honestly was the worst time in my life. Over the course of two years I tried so hard to reduce the medication to a balance were I can tolerate the pain, but manage to actually have some quality of life also.
My pain management consultant suggested I try a lidocaine infusion to see if this would help the nerve pain, which I've had done today.
Whilst it was being infused through a canula in my hand I felt no changes at all. The consultant said I'd probably experience numbness around the mouth or I would feel fatigued. I felt neither. I sat and had this drip and felt.... Nothing.
I came home and did feel tired, so have had some sleep and have woken slightly nauseous.
Has anybody here had any experience of a Lidocaine infusion?
Kudos
Views
Replies