Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

Kidney Stones

Still looking for good solid, current, peer reviewed information on recurring kidney stones.  Treatments?  Dietary? Medication?  Lifestyle changes?

Honored Social Butterfly

What type of kidney stones do you have?  Blood /urine test would probably give you a good indication of the type. Specific and long term diet changes might help but not a cure.  Water intake is probably one of the things that helps all types but then some people are on limited fluid intake for other health conditions.

My father had the uric acid type of kidney stones and he also had the gout so he had to take medication to ease both of these conditions - even the meds didn't stop one or the other from flaring up occasionally.

AKF:  Kidney Stone Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, & Prevention

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Social Butterfly

@GailL1 Have done the 24hr test a few times as I've changed my diet.  There is always too much calcium, so on a small does of meds for that and another tweak on the diet. Which means I've cut down on even the 100% grass fed milk and yogurt. Avoiding high oxalate foods, which is challenging since I'm nearly vegetarian. Beans, brown rice, whole wheat flour, nuts, spinach, collard greens, swiss chard, green tea, dark chocolate all high oxalate, among many others. 

Baking, I now use oat flour, when I want to make a wrap, burrito or pizza, I've been using 

cassava flour.  Looking into chickpea flour, also lentil pasta.  Trying everything I can.  After four surgeries in to years, I'm trying everything at my disposal, urologist, nerphrologist, and a few sessions with a nutritionist.   

Read your AKF link, well written, but I know the info in it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sounds like you are doing everything that you can - people just process these chemicals / products differently - and sometimes not correctly.  I know they are painful - four surgeries in two years - WOW.  Sounds like you also create some really big ones.  Do they try to bust them up before surgery with, I think, sound waves, or are they already too big and have to have surgery to remove them?

Being well hydrated seems to be one of the things that crosses over the different types of kidney stones - hope you don't have any other condition that contraindicates fluid (water) intake.

Sorry you are having to endure these and are having to give up some of the foods that you really like and in most cases are really good for people.

You probably already have something like this to reference - but here it is for a quick glance.

Dietary Changes to Prevent Calcium Oxalate Kidney Stones 

Good luck - 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Social Butterfly

@GailL1 Lithotripsy for three stones, and one where they go in with a basket, break it up, retrieve the pieces, and then you have a stint for a week.  So much fun.😩 One of the biggest frustrations  ( trust me, there are many ), is that you can go to multiple sources, and download the oxalate levels for foods, and they can vary, sometimes by a great deal. Difficult enough to maintain the "perfect" low oxalate diet, but there needs to be agreement among sources to know what that is.

For now, lentils, chickpeas and quinoa are my friends. Lentils, chickpea and quinoa, oh my!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@GailL1  Calcium oxalate stones.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rhymesometimes they say some people have them due to their genes = family trend. Lots of water and not sure about diet, but I am sure that would help. Medications, no idea.

Social Butterfly

@Anonymous  Your right right, #1 thing is lots of water.  Yes there is a genetic component, sadly can't change that. I've done lots of research, and my doctor says to decrease high oxalate foods, unfortunately, that is nearly all super healthy things like beans, nuts, whole wheat, brown rice and the big one spinach. So finding alternatives to those items is the latest thing I'm working on.. 

Thank you for input.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP