Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How often do you get your eyes checked?

Message 11 of 15

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I'm always floored by people who say they don't have their eyes and/or teeth checked on a regular basis; only seeing a doctor when they already have a problem. We only have one body, and if we don't keep it in good condition, we'll pay for that as we get older!

I go for an annual eye exam; in fact I think I'm due about now.

@ASTRAEA, Thanks for reminding me. I should make an appointment for April soon. Last year my eye doc told me to start coming in every year. Before that it was every two years. (Dentist and primary doc every 6 months.) Cat Happy N.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

@AARPTeri  I went in once a year when I primarily wore contacts, but since I gave those up have been going to the optometrist every other year. My vision hasn't changed. Indeed I have 20 year old glasses that work perfectly for me.

Now, ask about how often I have to have my head examined.... Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

I'm always floored by people who say they don't have their eyes and/or teeth checked on a regular basis; only seeing a doctor when they already have a problem. We only have one body, and if we don't keep it in good condition, we'll pay for that as we get older!

I go for an annual eye exam; in fact I think I'm due about now.

@wilful - I am nearsighted, and wore contacts for about 25 years, until my eyes started changing in my 40s. With my contacts on, I couldn't see close up anymore! I looked into lasik, and was disappointed to find out that they still have no way to totally correct nearsightedness .. without it causing a problem with your close vision. Doctors try to minimize that downside, and may suggest progressive contact lenses, but most of the nearsighted people I know who had it as part of their cataract surgery, wound up having to wear reading glasses to see close up.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

Once a year works for me, Teri.  Once every 4 or 5 years - a sufficient change in my vision requires that I get new glasses.  Were I younger - I would have the lasik surgery and do away with the glasses.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How often do you get your eyes checked?

Message 15 of 15

I have a few friends who have never had an eye exam.  This surprised me, and I wondered is this common?  They just use the cheaper reading glasses.  Do you get an exam every year, every other year or not at all?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season