Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you manage your diabetes?

Retired Community Manager

How do you manage your diabetes?

Do you have an exercise routine or eat a structured diet? Do you have other habits to control your diabetes? Let us know what works for you.

Contributor

Mine is not managed as well as it could be. I take medication and insulin, and watch my diet, but I definitely need to be more physically active. My husband recently got an awesome new tool to help manage his. It's a Freestyle Libre, and monitors his blood sugar constantly. He puts a sensor in his arm (has to put a new one in every 14 days) and to check his sugar, he just holds the meter near the sensor. It's enabled him to see the effects of food, activity, and medication on an ongoing basis. His A1C had already gone way down before he got it - due to illness that almost took him out - but with this monitor, he's been able to keep it down to nearly normal. I should get one too. The idea of sticking something in my arm scares me a bit! But it's better than sticking a finger, and it's much better than many of the side effects of diabetes.

Contributor

Hi, 

I found out I have diabetes 4 yrs ago,first 2 yrs pills, didn't worked,  3yr insuline, after been on insulin for a year and had 2 scary situations,  I decided to walk one day out of the blue because I was overweight, after 30 yrs without doing any real exercise,  I measure my sugar levels before a went for a walk, 45 min later when I got home, very tired, I measure  my sugar levels again I dont know why, there was not reason  to do so, and then is where the miracle happened  

My sugar levels drops 125 points I went from 245 to 120 in 45 min, not even with my rapid acting insulin that ever  happened,  since that day I started walking as many times a week as I can , always 3 to 4 miles , 3 weeks later I trashed my insulin bottle, that was a year ago, now I just walk. No more insulin,  no pills, nothing, just walking and eating right, since walking get me more energetic I decide to do exercise, I was weighting 223 pounds, now I'm at 183, and really fit  i just keep doing the same routine.  ,my sugar levels use to be on the 400, now my highest is 150, sorry for the big introduction but I was really impressed for what happened to.me, walking for me it's a bless,  there you go, that's how a keep mine under control, I'm 52 yrs old,and I feel terrific,   I hope that work for you as well,thank you

Trusted Contributor

how i manage my diabetes is watching what i eat. i only eat once a day & watch how much i eat. every once in a while i'll treat myself to a doughnut, a piece of cake but only once a week. 

Contributor

i don't, i have uncontrollable diabetes, the person i see at the VA HOSPITAL  is all over me because my readings are all over the place. they keep changing the medicine, from pens to bottles etc. just when i think i have it under control they change it. i get frustrated and give up.

Contributor

I am a type 1 diabetic, having been diagnosed Jan 27, 1962.  I am now 71 years old.  I use an insulin pump.  It provides me with a small amount of insulin each hour for 24 hours a day.  

I count carbohydrates and test my blood glucose 5 times each day.  This system gives me much better control over my low and high blood glucose readings.  I add extra insulin to keep my blood glucose from going high when I eat or drink something. 

I exercise daily (unless I am ill) by standing on a vibration board for 35 minutes and I ride a stationary bicycle for 10-15 minutes daily.

My recent A1c has been about 6.9% for several months.  

I am very pleased I am doing so well because I take reasonably good care of myself.

With medications, diet and exercise 

Conversationalist

It was probably in high school that I read and heard what to consume to get diabetes so I didn't and have it I don't nor sympathy for those who do excepting those genetically disposed to be afflicted.

I also read and heard about the causes of lung cancer but inhaled tobacco smoke for almost seventy years, anyway, so when I'm diagnosed with lung cancer, I expect no sympathy for the stupidity of my self-caused affliction.

That I have not been diagnosed with either I attribute to a life-long healthful diet despite being a glutton who'll eat whatever's put in front of me.

My body mass today is a very fat 25.6. Click here to calculate yours.

Conversationalist

My husband became a diabetic, which the both of us did not know what that was or how to treat the disease.  They kept telling him to go on a diet and eat lots of vegetables.

My husband came from Tonga, where he ate only food from the ground or from the sea.  They had some chickens but we're scrawny. Their had no cows inTonga, just pigs and horses. But, there was plenty of seafood.

when, he came to America, he loved the American diet, lots of chicken, prime rib,steak,corn beef, all protein which was a whammy for him.  Too much protein in the blood causes havoc.  Plus, fats and sugar, another whammy.  So, what can I eat?  He use to say, I'll starve. I told him you have to go back to your Tongan diet, no processed food, no can food, no steak or prime rib, it causes high cholesterol.

You have to decide if you want to live for a reason, see your grandchildren grow up for example or get married, or graduate and be part of their life or your children. You have to make the decision, yourself

When, your a diabetic, you lose a lot, your hair, your teeth, your heart, your eyes, your kidneys, The only thing you don't lose is your mind, so change your diet big time!

Become a vegetarian- and downsize your intake of food.  Put more vegetables, green ones is best, try different ones, no gravy or butter, use spices to make it feel alive in your mouth, your senses!

Start preparing your own food, and yes, you have time, your days off. Prepare and freeze. It must be fresh items, no prepared food at all. Why? It has too much salt, sugar, fat or cholesterol in it. Remember, they are whammies!

Get an exercise class you love- try this one- Hasfit.com- on -YouTube.  It's only 30 minutes and it's fun. You can sit down or stand. It's a beginning for you.

Social Butterfly

I take my medicine morning and evening, Insulin in the evening 8 units. I exercise and do my best to eat right. I had a good report last January when I had my checkup and hope to have the same this January.  

Periodic Contributor

I have been a Weight Watcher member when I worked. It kept the cost low for the agency. I also participated in an online study about carbs and lost a lot of weight and controlled my diabetes. Now, I have gone back to cooking from scratch. I shop the store where ever I go for bargains. Many stores have produced reduced because of bruises or wilting which I buy that is reduced ( Kroger is .99 for a good amout of produce). My grandmother walked to the hay market 6 days a week to glean what ever couldn't be sold. Bring it home and pare it and cook it. We ate healthy at no cost. I do the same. I buy in bulk and cook large portions and freeze it in individual portions so thaty I am not tempted to just grab anything because I am hungry. I don't do fast food, packaged food that that are loaded with salt/sugar and preservatives, Doctor's orders ( cardiologist ). I make a point to keep moving as much as possible each day.

Periodic Contributor

I am practicing intermittent fasting as well as eating less than before and I,m not hungry which means I have found the right combination for me. I am getting more exercise (no specific amount). Also, I'm eating fresh or frozen foods, VERY few packaged foods, less meat and meditation which helps me stick to my program. Oddly I seem to need less sleep.These things are serving me well.

Regular Contributor

I like to walk in park for 30 to 60 minutes most days. ( walk with someone at times, but most I listen to music in headphones) But I did join a  gym to have a better spot for bad weather days. In gym I use treadmill in place of 20 minutes walking and lift a few arm weights  of varied types. I use a kettle bell only 15 or 20 lb a little, I am age 75. Some gyms charge seniors only 10 to $20 a month for membership.

Exercise is only 20% your diabetic challenge, eating low carb diet 80%.

Contributor

If you have a supplemental medicare advantage plan, they may pay for your gym membership at no cost to you... I have United Healthcare AARP plan, and have complete use of rec center at no monthly cost...check out yours

Regular Contributor

Manage type 2  by eating less good as you age,  especially over 50, exercise most days with someting you enjoy  it possible. Eat lower carb foods, minimize processed foods  and minimize high glycolic index foods. Check Blood sugar after meals to see good impact. Eat out less often and only were you know the place has an option you can endure.

Honored Social Butterfly

The real question is what people are doing to prevent giving themselves an incurable disease. The answer is, pretty much nothing.

The CDC has stated that at least 90% of the over one million new cases diagnosed of Type II diabetes every year were 100% preventable. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Regular Contributor

You ask why more people do not make a personal effort to protect health from type 2 diabetes. I was born in 1944. Nobody at home or in school was able not even tried to tell me that  I might be eating too many carbs, especially the no nutrition value junk type carbs were especially damaging. Even as I began to add a few too many belly pounds, I was just overweight. Nobody was saying it would cause damage to most body organs, even to my 40s. Then a the type  2 diagnosis,  no big deal was made, just take these few pills to fix it.  By the time some realize the gravity of damage that is done by eating foods that may taste great and be addictive, but are harmful, some of us were hooked. It's Then a real struggle to just stop the list of long term poor choices. We try. Some small steps, cutting back. Some larger steps of actually eliminate clearly damaging foods. Diabetes has been around us all our lives, so how did it just sneak up and attack?  I think nobody defines when you crossed too many lines. Nobody, except yourself, can block the devil!

Periodic Contributor

I would like to know why the FDA allows so many unhealthy foods to be placed on the market. They have dangerous levels of sugar, salt, fats and pesticides. Additionally, the nutrient content of foods has declined because the mineral content of the soil is depleted. It is difficult to eat properly and our families suffer.

Regular Contributor

I agree the list of processed foods and junk foods or sweets and items with near zero protein  or vitamins or fiber, etc is a  very long list.  I cannot really speak  for FDA, but my guess is that companies are not truly trying to keep us healthy as much as make profits, even when  products, if  eaten  too often, are  very harmful to health.  It does put the family cook into an increasingly hard position to pick safe and healthy family foods, and either. minimize or block or eliminate negative junk items.  I  once asked a dietician speaker what most simple healthful low cost meal is ( for good health) she said eat beans and greens!

Contributor

Supplements. You can't trust doctors. They only want the kickback from prescrptions.

Contributor

Doctors have been telling me I am pre-diabetic for years. But they refuse to help me get my weight down.
Contributor

and the upcoming generation of grandchildren will be diabetic at earlier ages with all the processed food and snacks that parents give them today..
Periodic Contributor

I whole heartedly agree so we must post these messages on every platform available and hope that parents, children, and companies listens.
Regular Contributor

Ever one is victim as food  industry is marketing a great deal of unhealthy  foods just to get  a profit.  Eating a healthy  set of foods is harder and harder. Quality foods cost more, low quality fast food is often cheaper and tastes good.   Cooking high healthy foods takes some time and shopping and cooking knowledge. So in some ways eating poor quality food that might taste good and be low cost is easier  choice than to  do quality food at most meals. Not all poor  diets  cause type 2 diabetes, but a big % of people do get diabetes. Exercise is 20% of health need,  while  good diet and keeping low carbs may be 80%. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP