How do you manage your diabetes?

Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you manage your diabetes?

Message 11 of 17

If you have a supplemental medicare advantage plan, they may pay for your gym membership at no cost to you... I have United Healthcare AARP plan, and have complete use of rec center at no monthly cost...check out yours

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17

I am practicing intermittent fasting as well as eating less than before and I,m not hungry which means I have found the right combination for me. I am getting more exercise (no specific amount). Also, I'm eating fresh or frozen foods, VERY few packaged foods, less meat and meditation which helps me stick to my program. Oddly I seem to need less sleep.These things are serving me well.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17

Ever one is victim as food  industry is marketing a great deal of unhealthy  foods just to get  a profit.  Eating a healthy  set of foods is harder and harder. Quality foods cost more, low quality fast food is often cheaper and tastes good.   Cooking high healthy foods takes some time and shopping and cooking knowledge. So in some ways eating poor quality food that might taste good and be low cost is easier  choice than to  do quality food at most meals. Not all poor  diets  cause type 2 diabetes, but a big % of people do get diabetes. Exercise is 20% of health need,  while  good diet and keeping low carbs may be 80%. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17

I like to walk in park for 30 to 60 minutes most days. ( walk with someone at times, but most I listen to music in headphones) But I did join a  gym to have a better spot for bad weather days. In gym I use treadmill in place of 20 minutes walking and lift a few arm weights  of varied types. I use a kettle bell only 15 or 20 lb a little, I am age 75. Some gyms charge seniors only 10 to $20 a month for membership.

Exercise is only 20% your diabetic challenge, eating low carb diet 80%.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17

Manage type 2  by eating less good as you age,  especially over 50, exercise most days with someting you enjoy  it possible. Eat lower carb foods, minimize processed foods  and minimize high glycolic index foods. Check Blood sugar after meals to see good impact. Eat out less often and only were you know the place has an option you can endure.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 17

The real question is what people are doing to prevent giving themselves an incurable disease. The answer is, pretty much nothing.

The CDC has stated that at least 90% of the over one million new cases diagnosed of Type II diabetes every year were 100% preventable. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you manage your diabetes?

Message 17 of 17

Do you have an exercise routine or eat a structured diet? Do you have other habits to control your diabetes? Let us know what works for you.

Kudos
Views
Replies