Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you feel about marijuana?

Retired Community Manager

How do you feel about marijuana?

Would you use it to relieve pain or for other medical issues? Would you use it recreationally? Have you used it? If so, what has your experience been--did it help with your issue? 

Find out all about medical marijuana here:

https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2019/basics-on-medical-marijuana.html

Bronze Conversationalist

Tried it when I was younger, but it never caught on for me- i just am not a drug user. Don't trust the drug I get for a sinus infection! Am now taking Amoxicillin for an ear infection. Don't trust that either.

Problem being, the dr.s who prescribe them so readily don't seem to have a clue. "That drug didn't work for you ? Let's try another !"  Man Mad

Sandee2

As a 55 year old who's unemplyed, I feel like I need some! Smiley Wink

Seriously though, I find it ironic that you can smoke yourself until your lungs rot with tobacco and drink until your liver falls out but if you dare lay hand on cannabis, you're a criminal. 

What's the difference between all three? The government has a tax stamp on the first two so they're magically ok despite the suffering they cause and the millions they kill each year.

Let's stop all the misinformation already and let adults decide for themselves.

Contributor

I think it could reduce opioids, I have severe degenerative arthritis and eat up with it, have had 5 joint replacements. After the government has taken over half of meds away they need to have some thing for people to reduce their pain. They have used cannabis for thousands of years, to say it has no medicinal values is crazy, their lying. They're afraid of losing money.

Contributor

For myself, I do not use the product. Quality control Marijuana with a genuine medical card is the way it is now set up with government control for its purity is the way to go. The grass coming in from the South American countries should continue to be outlawed. People who are truly in need of their medical comfort needs is OK by me. As for recreation amusement to me, that is no different than people stopping at Bars and Clubs and get drinks that may get them to where they are not 100% in control of their thoughts and get into their vehicle and drive while partly intoxicated it is no different with people using Marijuana and driving a vehicle. Imagine a person consuming both products and then decide to go for a drive that could happen to get involved in some accident and innocent bystanders are in the mishaps. If you want to use Marijuana fine, stay home and use it do the same thing with your liquor. Nelson 

Honored Social Butterfly

@cactuspatch  - You make a good point.

If it is legalized for smoking / recreational use, there should be some regulation about using it in public areas, just like cigarette smoking, or maybe confined to home / private use only. There are already established smoke free zones.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Contributor

Good for AARP for taking this subject seriously and for opening this forum to comment. What I have noticed is that no one has talked about the way in which marijuana can enhance your sex life. It can be an amazing aphrodisiac. Put on some relaxing music, have a glass of fine wine and light up a joint with your wife or husband or significant other, and you will find yourself more easily aroused, and sex greatly enhanced. As the aging process takes its inevitable toll in this area, pot can be a fountain of youth.

Contributor

Medical use only. I have worked with recreational users in the past and they are still high hours or days after use. I shudder to think they are driving that way. Recreational use should be prohibited.

Periodic Contributor

I am 82 and yes as some of us I have smoked a Joint or two socially during my lifetime.. To me marijuana is like anything else you over indulge in.. Is it any different to smoke a joint in the evening to wind down after a busy days work etc.? Isn't that much the same as the person that has a beer or a glass of wine for the same reason to wind down and relax.. Now, having said that I am talking a good marijuana not laced with any thing else to make it stronger and you hallucinate.. Also I am an advocate for Medical Marijuana in some cases but there needs to be more studies on this.. I think it has benefitted some Cancer Patients, not as a cure but to help with some side effects from Chemo Etc.. Anyhow as I said I am 82 and drink my Golden Turmeric Milk and loving the benefits..

Contributor

I can't wait for it to be legalized in New York! It's use is better than alcohol with less danger.

its madisamamal purposes are very helpful for alot of people, and some prescriptions are alot worse for you with side effects and addictions. so I say if pot work for you then by all means smoke it.

I am a chronic pain patient who has been on pain medication for several years. I also have severe anxiety.

After my drs would no longer give me my anxiety medication with my pain medication I started to use marijuana occasionally to help with my anxiety. It really helped a lot.

I also voluntarily cut my pain medication dosage by more than half and used marijuana to help with pain also. Unfortunately it’s not legal in my state but I’m only 10 minutes away from Washington DC.  

I fully support decriminalization of marijuana and advocate for federal legalization. With the latest vaping illness crisis I think federal legalization is the only way to make sure the cannabis products sold and distributed is 100% safe.

Regular Contributor

I suppose that my question would be this. If you can get the medicinal benefits of the cannabis plant through the use of CBD then why would I even bother with the marijuana type of cannabis? Granted, I have read many articles relating to how marijuana helps, but as a CBD user who has experienced delightful results from use I question if full blown marijuana is a necessity for for all but a small amount of us. I.e. why take Prilosec if Tums do the job just as well? My thoughts tend to go towards some just want to get "stoned". That is fine if it is legal and no worse than alcohol but is it overkill for some conditions that claim medicinal use? Maybe my thinking is obsolete.

Periodic Contributor

Yes, they are obsolete. Why do you fear your consciousness ? No-one is in control of anything.

For medicinal practices it should be allowed for all others regulate it as you do achol and beer

Contributor

I am for it! It is a great, safe outlet for retired people to spend a few hours of free time.I am pleased with AARP doing an article on it in the last issue. When the article came out I realized that I dont have to hide my desire to consume small ammounts whenever I am in the mood. 

Contributor

I wish they would legalize it in New Jersey! Helps Arthritis, insomnia!

Trusted Contributor

i don't think it should be classified as a drug. it should be classified as a cigarette like any other. i don't understand why it is not. i personally don't smoke at all let alone marijuana but i don't understand why it's not classified as a cigarette?

Contributor

Until there's a way to measure sobriety I'm 100% against it. Also, everyone makes a big deal against smoking tobacco and now those same people are wanting to push for another smoking product?

Periodic Contributor

Do you care about controling other's behavior and what is put into their body ? As long they aren't murdering your children (or until) marijuana has been a target for discriminatory regulation forever. 

I feel if it would be legalized & doctors could help tell which strain helps what ailments it could benefit those struggling with severe health issues. If people want to smoke mj they'll find a way but it would be more beneficial if they had the right strain. It should be legal in all 50 states & each person's personal decision, NOT the government's. 

Periodic Contributor

Stop taxing everything !

Periodic Contributor

Hi, old hippie here. I've been smoking for 52 years but now the reason is a bit different. Then, it was to get high, get the giggles, be cool. Now, it's the giggles and to sleep. It doesn't take much. A few hits off the pipe and I'm good. Sometimes I get silly with friends, other times I get mellow with my cats and fall into a deeper sleep.  

I'm in NJ where they are fighting to legalize it but I 'd be much happier if they would just seriously decriminalize it. At 66 yrs old I really don't want to have to worry about getting busted if I've got a joint on me. I also do NOT drive while high. That's another worry about legalization. There are already enough nuts on the road (drunk, texting, on the phone) to worry about.

It's also very helpful to chemo patients. One side effect of chemo is loss of appetite and a side effect of weed is the munchies. That's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. I'm lucky that I had no bad side effects from chemo but others, not so much. You need to keep up your strength with all those strong drugs surging through your body. Marijuana can be extremely helpful in that regard.

Home-grown of known strains is our protection from big Tobacco and Pharma taking cannabis away again. Never saw a fight at a cannabis-only party. Never had a blowout breakup of any attending couples either. Can't say that about alcohol included parties though.

Almost every ancient documentation that mentions cannabis notes it's medicinal properties. Why is this even in question anymore? Try it for yourself. Recommend Colorado and Washington State as they have had legal cannabis a long time and have gotten it right.

Periodic Contributor

• It should be legal in all states and regulated like Ca. and Co.  
Contributor

After moving to a 55+ active community in California I met several retired medical professionals who were using “cannabis” (the updated and less stigmatized name now used in place of ‘marijuana’) for their medical issues. They used cannabis for recovery from surgery, cancer, chronic pain and other issues. After doing extensive research for 1.5 years, myself and a neighbor decided to start a Cannabis Education Club. I believe that educating ourselves on the benefits of cannabis is important. I primarily use a product for sleep issues and a topical for intermittent tailbone pain. We identify viable resources, and bring in educated and experienced speakers once a month. Our club is 1.5 years old with 175 members! We do focus on medical cannabis and do not sell or use products at our meetings.

Other than not clarifying the term cannabis vs. marijuana, this article was excellent. These are the topics that we discuss. What product options are available, possible uses, best websites for further education, refrences to medical professionals with cannabis expertise and more. We have even had a veterinarian speak about cannabis for our beloved pets greater health. The opportunity to help my neighbors for a possible improvement in their lives and to remove the stigma’s is viable. It is imperative that everyone understands that this is a “self-education” process. One product that works for a friend’s issue may not work for you. Educate yourself and be patient with the timimg it may take to ascertain whether a product will work for you. This is an evolving industry with many uphill battles. Big pharma is worried! Cannabis is not a cure all, although it can assist in improving our quality of Life.

Regular Contributor

I do not use marijuana nor have I ever. But I do use CBD every day and believe in what it does. I do not think I would like being "stoned" but I also rarely drink alcohol because I have never much liked the feeling it gives me. After discovering CBD my opinions have changed much and now feel that if medical marijuana helps people then it should be available to those who need it. It is just a plant after all.

Bronze Conversationalist

@JohnB469069  You commented that the origins of CBD are "just a plant".  Please be careful with  all plants until you know what each one is.  Many common garden plants are deadly toxic. Just a few examples are Rhododendrum, Hydrangea, Oleander, and Foxglove, and there are many more that you might have in your yard.  In fact, you can't even strip the flowers off Foxglove without the danger of having a heart attack!  Research before you touch or taste.  Those "just plants" could kill you!  (I have a master's degree in herbology and PhD in natural medicine and I've studied these plants.) 

Contributor

One of the best results of legalizing marijuana/cannabis is the multiplicity of product testing that is required and results  identified for thhe consumer.

Contributor

I feel that everybody needs access to medicinal use marijuana. We should completely decriminalize it by its legalization. This being said I do not feel marijuana is an appropriate drug for people under 21 years of age. The use of marijuana can lead to short term issues with memory and motivation. We've been fighting the legalization issue for 50 years, it is time to DO IT!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP