Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you feel about marijuana?

Retired Community Manager

How do you feel about marijuana?

Would you use it to relieve pain or for other medical issues? Would you use it recreationally? Have you used it? If so, what has your experience been--did it help with your issue? 

Find out all about medical marijuana here:

https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2019/basics-on-medical-marijuana.html

Regular Contributor

I do not want to get high, did that in the 70s and was not really a fan of it.
I want CBD without THC. My Doc won't prescribe it. It is legal here for medical use.
I have severe chronic pain from arthritis and other conditions. I have heard it helps immensely.
So you do not have to smoke it or get high. It is not the THC that works, it is the plant base.

Contributor

If you want straight CBD, it is not illegal nor do you need a doctor's prescription. It can be purchased through the mail if you don't have a drug store or market that carries it near you. I've used the CBD from Charlotte's Web (online) and find it of high quality but other places carry it to, just google. Good luck!

Periodic Contributor

CBD is WAYYY overpriced !!!!!!

Regular Contributor

IN my early years in the 70s I smoked MJ. Enjoyed a nice temporary high. I am in my 60's now and use CBD oil and cream for my back pain. I use tincture for more severe pain. Since I started using it my back has never felt better. I have not tried edibles but plan on it. I don't use any products with THC in them as that is not the goal I am looking for. I want the pain relief that comes with CDB. THC is the "get high" chemical.

Update 2021: I have now tried Delta8 THC gummies and did not get high. I simply felt more relaxed and at ease. Please research a bit before you comment on the "horrors" of MJ and its derivatives. Knowledge gives you power.

As far as people driving while high...I never remember going over 30 mph.  LOL

~Sharon~
Contributor

I have been using MJ, in various forms, for 42 years. I don't use it to get high, but to treat chronic pain associated with RA and back pain due to a car accident. When I was in college, in 1981 I think, I wrote an article for my student newspaper on the benefits of MJ. I specifically addressed the value of standardization and regulation, both in consumer safety and economic outcomes. I would prefer standardization and across the board legalization. For those who think MJ is a "gateway" drug and can only be smoked, please educate yourselves before commenting. MJ can be an exit strategy, under medical supervision, for those who are addicted to opioids. There are sensible reasons MJ should be legalized, join us...its 2019.

Prefer medical marijuana vs popping opiods. Relieves pain, reduces anxiety, and improves mood. Indicas help

with insomnea and relaxes you for a good night's sleep.

I am 81 years old with bad arthritis. If I could fine some I would use it.

Retired Community Manager

New video from AARP on Medical Marijuana--what conditions it helps with, where it's legal, etc.

Bronze Conversationalist

As an asthmatic caused by my mother's chain smoking of cigarettes when I was a child, I won't ever smoke pot or anything else.  However, CBD is another story.  I've read reports from reputable sources that say it can help relieve pain without the side effects (and price) of western medicine.  Unfortunately, these products aren't strictly regulated, so the amount of CBD and the strength of each product might differ from what it says on the container.  Bottom line:  yes, I'd try CBD before risking my life on western medicine!  I have a PhD in natural medicine and a Master's Degree in Herbology, so I like to research these things.  It's interesting how facts from reputable sources can differ from what we read in ads and on billboards!.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

I've never tired marijuana and don't have any intention of doing so. I've read several reports that indicate that smoking marijuana, potentially has some very serious health risks; lung disease, cardiovascular problems, brain damage (potential for later dementia, stroke, etc.), cancer, etc. In fact, some reports indicate that smoking marijuana has greater health risks than smoking regular tobacco. Everyone is free to choose what they want to do with their health. Personally, I've used healthy eating and lifestyle changes to totally eliminate arthritis; no meds needed and no marijuana used and pain is totally gone !

One of many sites indicating health risks is at:

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects.html 

Contributor

I hate it, I don't understand how can they not make that in a pill form you take pills for everything else why is that not made into a pill. And absolutely stinks.

Contributor

I like marijuana!  It has improved my mood, given me more energy, and has helped me sleep at night depending on the type I smoke! I don’t know why it’s not legalized on the Federal level. It could help pay off our national dept!!

My pain Doctor, who is working on my knee pain and my Rheumatoid arthritis pain, has me on Oxymorphine and oxycodone.  I never take any more pills that I'm not supposed to, am not an addict, just a woman with chronic pain.  PA has medical marijuana and he said I qualified for it.  When I smoke I don't use near as many oxycodone.  The oxymorphine is long release so I take one in am and one in pm.  I'm actually going to lower the dose because I think the marijuana is helping.  It doesn't turn you into an addict!  Some people have real pain and need the pills (or preferably marijuana)

Lee Ann Held

I feel that it's ok if it's helping ppl heal. I want to try if for my Neuropathy. Tired of the pain.

I also wanted to try it for my neuropathy but after reading about it. I cannot use it with the meds that I am taking.

I feel that medical marijuana is ok. I would like to try it.

Recreational marijuana is a definite NO. It is just as dangerous as drivers with alcohol in their system.  I worry about a person drunk injuring a family member now included is recreational marijuana to that list.

Are our insurance rates going to rise because of more accidents?

Social Butterfly

Not interested. It’s becoming legal because the government just realized how much money they could gain from legalizing it.  As usual , money and greed rule!

Trusted Contributor

Recreational marijuana is not for me. Never tried it; don’t plan to. Traffic deaths are on the rise in several states that have legalized recreational marijuana. Marijuana used during pregnancy can be harmful to baby’s development and breastfeeding as well. The data is out there. I ask you? How can putting smoke into your lungs be good for you? Any kind of smoke. And then there’s the dependency issue. Now, MEDICAL marijuana, that’s a different story. There’s evidence that it helps patients with a myriad of medical problems so I’m all for it as long as it's managed. It can adversely affect other prescription drugs and more. Though some states have legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes, as well as for recreation to varying degrees, the federal government has NOT. Did you know this?

Regular Contributor

It can be put in food and does not have to be smoked.
It is out there in CBD form without THC. You will not get high without THC.
I smoked as a teenager, but stopped when I had children. I never enjoyed the high really. I have never enjoyed being high at all, so I when I rarely drink, I only have a couple of drinks.
I do not think pot is the cause of more automobile accidents.... unless they are mixing with other substances.
I could drive fine when I used back in the 70s. If anything, I drove slower and was more aware of how I was driving. Maybe forgot where I was going a few times, but hey, I do that without being high, ha.
If it takes people off Opioids and other addictive drugs, it's a wondeful thing.

Contributor

I absolutely hate it, hate it, hate it. It stinks, everytime I smell it I get sick which is now all the time.

If people just need to use it, because of medical condititon, why can they not put it in a pill. I have never smoke the stuff, I know people that have, and all they did was eat and sleep, they were not good for anything, in this was way back in the day, I can only imagine what it does to people today.

Hate it!

Trusted Contributor

it made me feel good. but that was a long time ago. rvn.

Contributor

Not as addictive as cigarettes. People I know who've used cannibis do so infrequently; cigarette smokers smoke daily. It's helpful for pain relief, now sometmes prescribed by doctors for patients undergoing the effects/pain of cancer treatment.  

Periodic Contributor

Time to legalize marijuana nationwide. It is here to stay. Always has been. Quit making the lawyers rich, and jailing people for it. Quit letting the underground dealers make all the money. Regulate and tax it just like alcohol and tobacco. Oh, forgot to mention I've been a user of marijuana for 45 years. 

Contributor

Not only generates tax revenue, if legal, it can be monitored to make it safer, without deadly additives.

Periodic Contributor

I am in my 70's and have used MJ for close to 45 years - some years more than others.  It should be legal for anyone just like alcohol.  Worked for 40+ years am now retired.  It never interfered with my work. No negative effects that I can tell.  I am mostly a health nut regarding exercise and diet.  All of the old hype that MJ is a gateway drug to H is absurd and we all know it.  The right end of the political spectrum uses it (and other lefty issues) to discredit the left.  Get over it.  Hope the day comes when people can make honost conclusions based on facts and not bias. (I should live so long.) - PS. my BP is 110/40

Contributor

if i could get it legally i'd try it in a heart beat!!  i have severe and moderate herniated disks and arthritis on the right side of my neck, rotator cuff spurs, and degenerative joint disease in both hips.  the neck issues cause severe pain, and therapy and exercise haven't helped. i finally got a cortisone injection about 5 months ago, which did give me relief, but the injections have to be at least six months apart.  the pain also raises my blood pressure.  i tried cbd oil with no noticeable relief.  i've heard that marijuana has brought some people pain relief, so i'm more than willing to try it.  i 'm very active, and love to dance, but the neck pain is so severe at times, that i can't sleep on either side, and have pain down both arms, which throws my entire body and activity levels out of whack!! 

Periodic Contributor

I had a complete melt down after my recent mastectomy due to inability to sleep. My older son bought me some mj edibles as well as a bottle of mj in tincture form. We experimented and found the dosage that worked for me. For the past few decades, sleep was never my friend, even with good bedtime practices. Now, with continued use of a low dose "jelly" form mj, I am sleeping better than ever! I will continue to use this every night. I am finally able to turn off my brain, and ease into a very good night's sleep. I do not wake up "hung over" as I did when using Benedryl, or Ambien (which people over 65 are not supposed to use). I wake up refreshed and ready to face the day!

Feel like marajauna is garbage unless all the THC is removed!

www.independentlife.com

Pot is normally smoked. If cigarettes are         cancer causing to lungs why wouldn't  smoking pot  be in the long term

Periodic Contributor

Marijuana doesn't have the added chemicals and other additives that cigarettes contain. That's what causes cancer I believe.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP