The AARP Movies for Grownups Awards premieres tonight on many PBS stations. Watch at 9 p.m. ET.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you gotten your hearing tested?

Message 11 of 38
Hello,
This is my first post on this site.
I've learned a lot regarding the different types hearing impairments and the aids available.
I'd like to commend hose who were willing to share their stories and provide information.
I claim that GOD RESTORES the hearing to ALL IN NEED and the FINANCIAL SERVICES provided as well.
I'm so grateful for being directed to this site and for the developers of it.
LOOKING FORWARD TO EXCELLENCE WE PROGRESS
Have a GREAT DAY
Derrick
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 38

I do have hearing aids....Used the no interest loan.

@HelpYouHear wrote:

An organization that helps many Americans afford Testing and Hearing Aids, is SERTOMA (Service To Mankind). Check out your local chapter.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 38

An organization that helps many Americans afford Testing and Hearing Aids, is SERTOMA (Service To Mankind). Check out your local chapter.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 38

This would be wonderful....I was always thinking it was just me or something wrong with my aids.

It is so hard in public places...I end up taking out my aids  to try to understand...just to   understand a waiter....then they have to talk louder.....

@HelpYouHear wrote:

If you wear Hearing Aids, you need to learn about HEARING LOOPS. These may be installed in Public Spaces so that you may hear clearly what is being presented, instead of being overwhelmed by all of the ambient noise.

The Hearing Impaired should learn about the technology of Hearing Loops, and advocate for their installation in all of the places where you routinely go. Churches, classrooms, auditoriums, airports, theatres - there is no limit to how many places can be opened up for your participation with the addition of a Hearing Loop.

I sent this article to my kids,   as they have no clue what it sounds like   and get very aggravated with me....

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 38

If you wear Hearing Aids, you need to learn about HEARING LOOPS. These may be installed in Public Spaces so that you may hear clearly what is being presented, instead of being overwhelmed by all of the ambient noise.

The Hearing Impaired should learn about the technology of Hearing Loops, and advocate for their installation in all of the places where you routinely go. Churches, classrooms, auditoriums, airports, theatres - there is no limit to how many places can be opened up for your participation with the addition of a Hearing Loop.

(This post was edited to remove link advertising personal business)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 38

I am wondering whether Medicare will pay for surgical removal of exostosis (bone growing and blocking the ear canal shut). It's called "surfer's ear" because exposure to cold water and wind sets it off. I think I've got it although I've never been a surfer and I hate cold water.

http://www.eardoctor.org/Conditions___Treatments/Surfer_s_Ear.cfm

Would it be only after "we can comprehend less than 40% of the sentences being said on certain DVDs they supply"?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 38

@mv2498 wrote:
My husband has a deficiency that is significant and should wear hearing aids. There is no Social Security or hearing compensation from our insurance. This keeps him from getting hearing aids

Many audiologist might have used, refurbished models available.

Use to get them for my mother since she needed extremely powerful models - they were about half the cost of a new one and worked just as well and also had a good guarantee.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 38
My husband has a deficiency that is significant and should wear hearing aids. There is no Social Security or hearing compensation from our insurance. This keeps him from getting hearing aids
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 38

I've been wondering how to get this done without getting roped into buying a device.

I don't think I have a problem with volume...but I don't seem to hear fast enough to catch what a lot of these younger people are saying....sounds funny, but I really do have to keep asking them to repeat and slow down. This only happens with certain people and others are just fine.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 38

I noticed hearing loss in left ear but overall I thought I was OK - got tested.  Had hearing loss in both ears, more left than right.  Mostly in crowds, it was hard to hear conversation above noise of say, a noisy restaurant.  All came to a head when in a crowded retaurant the waitress asked me how I was today and I said "Diet coke please".   Wife had a good laugh.  

I am curious as to pricing plans people are seeing.  I went first to ENT office and they were nice but I followed up at Costco and saved SUBSTANTIAL $$$ there.

Kudos
Views