Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Info Seeker

Re: Have you gotten your hearing tested?

Message 1 of 35
Medicare? Or Medicaide? Ordinarily Medicare does not cover anything more than the hearing test: does not pay anything toward hearing aids.
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 35

Many times an audiologist will have used models that have been refurbished and have a warranty.  A licensed audiologist can test your hearing and recommend the best type of aid or other corrections that can help people in their life. 

They also know other things which maybe available on the marketplace to help with a specific type of problem. 

My mother had an audiologist that we worked with for over 40 years - he worked with a local deaf school and he always took the finances of people in mind or he helped find them financial resources.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 35
Perhaps you"ll let us know where God keeps all the hearing aids & posts the addresses of the financial services.
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 35

The VA as a benefit will supply hearing aids to those qualified free of charge.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 35

I have had my hearing tested 3 times. Fortunately they came back with a conssitant result. I'm trying to decide what the best unit is before i purchase. Can anyone give me some insight on the Starkey Premier iSDS or the Seimens top brand or Sam's Club top brand. Any helpful direction would be appreciated. I need to make a choice.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 35

Hearing aids are by far the most over priced health aid on the market! It's almost criminal how much dispensers of aids mark up the cost of their product! I was able to land a pair of used hearing aids that retailed for over $7,000/pair for a mere $350!  Fortunately the ear molds fit quite well and I avoided having to replace them with what I call the Universal replacements that cost $100. I don't know how you would come across used hearing aids, but now that I am retired perhaps I will look into that as a business. You can purchase new aids on line at a fraction of the cost of going to a hearing aid rip off palace! Today's hearing aids are indeed magical devices. After someone gives you a hearing test, they are able to see exactly the frequencies you have difficulty with as well as the degree of difficulty at each frequency. With this information they are able to program your aids to your exact needs, amplifying the frequency you are not hearing, and leaving alone the ones you are having no problem with. It's sort of like a graphic equalizer on your sound system and some aids have as many as 16 different frequency adjustments! When the salesman put them in my ears, I could hear like I was 16 years old again. At that time, about 15 years ago, he wanted $6,000 for them which was way out of my price range. As far as finding used hearing aids, i might  suggest talking to your friendly funeral home director. My feeling is that most aids that get donated back, hoping they go to needy hearing impaired people, either get tossed or resold as new.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 35

I had my hearing tested over 5 years ago. It was discovered that I was half deaf in both ears. After undergoing the usual questions from the Dr. (Where did you work?, Do you hunt?, etc.), it was determined by the Dr, that it was I said it was when I walked through the door. Listening to Rock & Roll, both at concerts and during my listening at full volume. A friend of mine does business with a hearing aid co., and he got me $6300 worth of hearing aids for free! I couldn't believe the differance when I first put them in at her place of business! She was rifleing through the pages of the instruction booklet and I jumped up, telling her that I couldn't remem

ber ever hearing that before! Now I'm sure my hearing is worse, because I still listen to my music at full volume, even with my hearing aids in. As I say to everyone, "Old hippies never die, they just go to pot."

John P Capizola Sr
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 35
Hello,
This is my first post on this site.
I've learned a lot regarding the different types hearing impairments and the aids available.
I'd like to commend hose who were willing to share their stories and provide information.
I claim that GOD RESTORES the hearing to ALL IN NEED and the FINANCIAL SERVICES provided as well.
I'm so grateful for being directed to this site and for the developers of it.
LOOKING FORWARD TO EXCELLENCE WE PROGRESS
Have a GREAT DAY
Derrick
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 35

I do have hearing aids....Used the no interest loan.

HelpYouHear wrote:

An organization that helps many Americans afford Testing and Hearing Aids, is SERTOMA (Service To Mankind). Check out your local chapter.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 35

An organization that helps many Americans afford Testing and Hearing Aids, is SERTOMA (Service To Mankind). Check out your local chapter.