Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Have you gotten your hearing tested?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you gotten your hearing tested?

Statistics show that hearing loss has doubled in the past 30 years.  Have you tested your hearing?  Do you have a baseline to test again for the future?  Curious how many people test their hearing as parf their health routines.

AARPTeri
Contributor

Yes, I am 66-years-old and have had my hearing tested for the past 6 years.  My father wore hearing aids and so does one of my sisters.

Kristie

No I have not gotten my hearing tested

Contributor

If  you go to www.nationalhearingtest.org you can take a hearing test that is free to members of AARP...once a year.  You have to have your current membership, or else it costs $8.

No 

Havent had one in years.

Now it's getting harder to understand  what people are saying and have to turn tv up louder to hear.

No but I should for years family has been telling me something is wrong with my hearing.  Where or how can I get a free hearing test?

Yes

Yes

Trusted Contributor

One of AARP's June 25th newletters had 2 articles, including 1 with a FREE hearing test for members.

1)    Do you know the signs of hearing loss?
There’s a lot you can do about hearing loss. Explore the AARP Hearing Center for helpful tips and tools, including a free hearing test members can take by phone from the safety of home.

https://click.email.aarp.org/?qs=39fb261f49618917b6f6bd3ce1a7c2a86127bfbdd216c564a27d940184614992a20...

2)    National Hearing Test — FREE for AARP members
Test your hearing annually with this free, phone-based hearing test taken from the safety and comfort of home. It’s confidential and scientifically validated.

https://click.email.aarp.org/?qs=39fb261f49618917550d8820e8c9ce859e99a610fe1959622c75ab4917dd92f8d84...

I already have hearing aids, but for some reason decided to keep the newsletter in my email.

Hope it helps someone.

Peace, Love, Blessings, Health and Happiness!

Contributor

NO.  I would like to get tested

Trusted Contributor

yes, i had it tested a few years ago & was told i had a mild hearing loss. i was given hearing aids & it was a blessing. i can still hear without them but when i do have them on i can hear a lot better; sound is a lot clearer & certainly louder. the only trouble i have is with the wax guard. they are a hassle to deal with.

Contributor

no

Contributor

Yes. After Vertigo, I lost hearing in my left ear. I was tested by VI Ear and Nose and was referred to VI Department of Human Services for a Hearing  Aids. I have been waitinhg over a year for it.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Blondell

Contributor

Yes

Periodic Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have had my hearing tested on a fairly regular basis over the years. As a retired audio/video engineer it was simply a good practice.

For anyone who has not done so, please do at your earliest opportunity. You likely will be surprised at how poor, and how fast your hearing can deteriorate. A quick and dirty test is whether you can understand someone speaking to you at about 3 feet with "normal" room noise. That is about 65 decibels, and a reference for various hearing tests. You may also be surprised that you can still do things to protect your hearing.

Also, be aware that there are several types of hearing loss. Some can be helped by hearing aids, many of which are ridiculously expensive. Part of the cost is initially "tuning" the devices. Medicare considers that since hearing aids do not need medical assistance to use they are not covered.

Also be aware of several types of hearing loss. As we age our ears simply "wear out", the fancy term means "old ears". They may be damaged by various sounds and recently it's been discovered that the typical "ear plugs" for outdoor or some industrial work may not be sufficient to prevent noise induced hearing loss. And finally be aware of "sudden sensory neural hearing loss". With SSNHL you can litteraly go to bed and wake up deaf. SSNHL requires surgery so is partially covered by Medicare.

Sorry for being so long winded. Too many years being concerned about a very complex subject.

No

Hi no I haven't gotten my hearing tested 

Yes. I have significant hearing loss but can't afford hearing aids. Yes insurance doesn't cover them. 

Contributor

Yes 

Contributor

Thought this would be appropos to this conversation:

https://www.the-goldenage.com/hearing-aids-medicare-whats-the-truth/

Yes and need hearing aids

Yes, just within the last 2 weeks  the hearing center in Tacoma, WA said that I am needing to get hearing aids it is very recommended. They said with my insurance I was unable to get hearing aids.

Social Butterfly

The VA as a benefit will supply hearing aids to those qualified free of charge.

Contributor

I have had my hearing tested 3 times. Fortunately they came back with a conssitant result. I'm trying to decide what the best unit is before i purchase. Can anyone give me some insight on the Starkey Premier iSDS or the Seimens top brand or Sam's Club top brand. Any helpful direction would be appreciated. I need to make a choice.

Periodic Contributor

I had my hearing tested over 5 years ago. It was discovered that I was half deaf in both ears. After undergoing the usual questions from the Dr. (Where did you work?, Do you hunt?, etc.), it was determined by the Dr, that it was I said it was when I walked through the door. Listening to Rock & Roll, both at concerts and during my listening at full volume. A friend of mine does business with a hearing aid co., and he got me $6300 worth of hearing aids for free! I couldn't believe the differance when I first put them in at her place of business! She was rifleing through the pages of the instruction booklet and I jumped up, telling her that I couldn't remem

ber ever hearing that before! Now I'm sure my hearing is worse, because I still listen to my music at full volume, even with my hearing aids in. As I say to everyone, "Old hippies never die, they just go to pot."

John P Capizola Sr
Contributor

Perhaps you"ll let us know where God keeps all the hearing aids & posts the addresses of the financial services.
Honored Social Butterfly

Many times an audiologist will have used models that have been refurbished and have a warranty.  A licensed audiologist can test your hearing and recommend the best type of aid or other corrections that can help people in their life. 

They also know other things which maybe available on the marketplace to help with a specific type of problem. 

My mother had an audiologist that we worked with for over 40 years - he worked with a local deaf school and he always took the finances of people in mind or he helped find them financial resources.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

Hello,
This is my first post on this site.
I've learned a lot regarding the different types hearing impairments and the aids available.
I'd like to commend hose who were willing to share their stories and provide information.
I claim that GOD RESTORES the hearing to ALL IN NEED and the FINANCIAL SERVICES provided as well.
I'm so grateful for being directed to this site and for the developers of it.
LOOKING FORWARD TO EXCELLENCE WE PROGRESS
Have a GREAT DAY
Derrick
Periodic Contributor

If you wear Hearing Aids, you need to learn about HEARING LOOPS. These may be installed in Public Spaces so that you may hear clearly what is being presented, instead of being overwhelmed by all of the ambient noise.

The Hearing Impaired should learn about the technology of Hearing Loops, and advocate for their installation in all of the places where you routinely go. Churches, classrooms, auditoriums, airports, theatres - there is no limit to how many places can be opened up for your participation with the addition of a Hearing Loop.

(This post was edited to remove link advertising personal business)

Bronze Conversationalist

This would be wonderful....I was always thinking it was just me or something wrong with my aids.

It is so hard in public places...I end up taking out my aids  to try to understand...just to   understand a waiter....then they have to talk louder.....

@HelpYouHear wrote:

If you wear Hearing Aids, you need to learn about HEARING LOOPS. These may be installed in Public Spaces so that you may hear clearly what is being presented, instead of being overwhelmed by all of the ambient noise.

The Hearing Impaired should learn about the technology of Hearing Loops, and advocate for their installation in all of the places where you routinely go. Churches, classrooms, auditoriums, airports, theatres - there is no limit to how many places can be opened up for your participation with the addition of a Hearing Loop.

I sent this article to my kids,   as they have no clue what it sounds like   and get very aggravated with me....

My husband has a deficiency that is significant and should wear hearing aids. There is no Social Security or hearing compensation from our insurance. This keeps him from getting hearing aids
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP