AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Free iOS App to promote medication safety

Message 1 of 1

Hi Everyone,

My name is Bob Mullaney and I've been a family physician for over 10 years. I've become increasingly concerned about prescribing practices of other providers when it comes to older folks like you. 

Day in and day out I encounter patients who have been put on medications that are not considered safe for use in folks age 65 and older. These medications cause patients to not feel as good as they could and increase their risk of fall, and in some cases, even death. 

Did you know that there's a list of 128 medications that are considered unsafe for use in the elderly? Too many of my fellow physicians don't know about it either. It's called the Beers List. 

I tried for a long time to educate other doctors on how medications behave differently in older patients compared to younger patients but progress has been entirely too slow. 

So I decided that a better way to go about this was to create a tool that would empower patients (you!) to know more about your medicinces so that you could have important conversations with your provider about your medications. 

It took me a long time to come up an app for you but I finally did. I worked on this in my spare time over the course of the last 2 years and it's still a work in progress but it's finally to the point where I think it can help people. 

The name of the app is Pillchex. It's free. Right now it's only for apple devices. It's a little rough around the edges but it works. What you do is enter the name of a drug into the app and if that drug is on the Beer's list, it will pull up a list of stories I wrote that will explain the side effects the drug can cause and why that might be bad for you. I really did my best to write these stories free of medical lingo so that they are easy to understand and fun to read.

Nobody is really making apps for elderly people to use so I need some help from you in making it better and easier to use. It's deliberately short on features for this reason. 

I truly believe that together we can make healthcare safer. Pillchex is my attempt to do that. I believe that doctors and patients need to colloborate and have important conversations about their healthcare and I hope that Pillchex allows you to do just that. 

Please download the app, use it, and tell me what you think. Tell me how to make it better. It's OK to hit me with sharp criticism if you need to. My patients have given me so much and now it's time for me to give back. I want to make the tool you need so that you can live the healthiest life you can. 

Thanks for your time. 

Robert Mullaney, MD

[email address removed from public view for safety]

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors