Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Food Allergy Triggers

Message 11 of 21 (1,449 Views)

@Prosecco6247, @amcoffiebean - There is also something called "Leaky Gut Syndrome", which results in allergy/sensitivity tests showing a person has a reaction to a lot of things (or in my case EVERYTHING) .. although the person may not have any allergy/sensitivity at all! There are natural supplement that can heal Leaky Gut.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 12 of 21 (1,343 Views)

Thanks for the links Prosecco6247. Reading up on allergies is an on-going project for me as food and pollen allergies are definitely within almost all my family members. Most recently, my 7 year old grand daughter started breaking out in a rash out of the clear blue and we are on a mission to figure it out.......so far, the standard food, pollen and even latex reactions do not provide any consistency and it's not the same food allergies I have. The mission is underway.

amcoffiebean
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 21 (1,350 Views)

@amcoffiebean said this (in part)..."There is a good book, Total Renewal by Frank Lipman, that makes perfect sense to me.  It suggests an elimination fast then reintro of foods, etc which frankly was too disciplined and tough for me to even think about trying.  But, he made a long lasting impression by stating allergies are so often unique that you will never get to the bottom of many of them  Like, you can install new carpet that may give off formaldehyde and be fine until you eat a banana one day and bingo, your body has a reaction to the combination."  

Thanks to all who have responded so far...you have given us so many interesting comments to think about and explore in our search for answers and tactics to avoid our likely allergens.

A couple of you have commented on the rigors and limitations of food allergy testing...suggesting that it wasn't something you felt was worth the information you might glean from it.  I totally agree with that theory.  

There is also the probability that continued exposure to a substance will end up in a future allergy if your personal physiology is so inclined...it can turn out to be a never-ending struggle...akin to the Greek myth of Sisyphus <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus>

@amcoffiebean also brings up "combination" and "cross-over" types of allergies.*..which can sometimes be fairly complicated to track down.

In point of fact, it's all complicated.  My hat is off to each of you who are aware of the problem and are educating yourselves and others to the possibilities of what is lurking "out there" for the potential and unsuspecting "food  allergic" consumer.

*  <http://www.foodallergens.info/Facts/Facts.html>  This is an interesting reference.  Look to the list in the upper left-hand corner and go down to the topics that list food allergens associated with pollens and food allergens associated with latex.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 14 of 21 (1,349 Views)

What I am absolutely sure of is that as I age, I'm adding to my list of allergies, most recently I now have pollen issues and peanuts seem to give me problems when I go overboard.  Since I was a child I've been allergic to peaches, apples, cherries and walnuts, tho something when apples are cooked is eliminated because I can eat anything like applesause or apple pie (thank goodness!) I spent years trying to find the association and finally read an article that those sensitivities mean I'm likely allergic to birch.  

Most recently I've discovered that there is something in Tums that causes me to break out in a rash.  It was a complete accident to discover that, I've had this off and on rash for many years and never figured out the cause, nor has a dermatologist without going thru all those tests, which I am not going to do.  I'd been taking Tums since my 40's for a source of calcium and just recently stopped taking it for no other reason than I ran out and didn't get replacement for quite some time.  Never had the rash until I started taking again, so the lightbulb went on so some ingrediente in Tums or combination of likely is the culprit.  There is a good book, Total Renewal by Frank Lipman, that makes perfect sense to me.  It suggests an elimination fast then reintro of foods, etc which frankly was too disciplined and tough for me to even think about trying.  But, he made a long lasting impression by stating allergies are so often unique that you will never get to the bottom of many of them  Like, you can install new carpet that may give off formaldehyde and be fine until you eat a banana one day and bingo, your body has a reaction to the combination.  

amcoffiebean

Message 15 of 21 (1,458 Views)

@pf6783 - I can empathize with your daughter! Although I'm not allergic to soy, I avoid it (along with a lot of other things) due to a bout with cancer. One major problem with soy .. which people think of as healthy .. is that a lot of it today is GMO (genetically modified), so everyone should avoid that. It makes me something of a PITA having a meal out!

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 21 (1,462 Views)

My 30'ish daughter suddenly developed a life threatening allergy to soy which it seems is everywhere.  The vast majority of prepared foods at Whole Foods contain soy.  She's read it is the number one cause of food allergy in the US.  Interestingly Europeans do not add soy to everything.   Frightening when we fly.  She brings her own food to all flights and on trips to avoid a nasty journey to the ER.

Conversationalist

Message 17 of 21 (1,468 Views)

I have allergies to hazelnuts and peach skins; they both make my lips tingle and throat swell.  Several years ago, after having a few years of bloating, abdominal pain,and morning nausea, I underwent tests and was told I have an intolerance to gluten and casein.  After about 6 months of no gluten or dairy, I no longer had the morning nausea and the other symptoms diminished.  I now am able to eat goat or sheep milk products and a little cow dairy, but eating gluten (as has happened accidentally a few times) still triggers all the symptoms.  It is inconvenient, but I am lucky I'm not celiac and can tolerate some cross-contamination, and that there are now so many gluten-free options.  I do miss a really good pie crust though.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 18 of 21 (1,634 Views)

I guess I am lucky considering the other posts. The only thing I am allergic to food wise are artificial sweetners. I have to check labels on some things to make sure it does not contain any of them.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 19 of 21 (1,655 Views)

Years ago I was diagnosed with multiple allergies, but was warned that food allergy testing wasn't foolproof.  I was given a list of foods to avoid and over time worked my way through checking them out.  Milk was the number one issue, though cheese and yogurt were fine.  And no, lactaid type products didn't help.  I found citrus gave me hives, but most of my reactions were gut related.  Then I was diagnosed with IBS, for which my triggers are mega-multiple and cross every food group.  I have a very limited, boring diet - and then I became lactose intolerant which eliminated yogurt and cheese (and no, lactaid is no help).  I've recently begun taking a Sam's club probiotic which actually does help, but doesn't allow me to add anything to my diet. 

It's almost impossible to travel or eat out, and any social activity that involves food is just no fun.  But hey, I'm up and about and active and every day is a gift. 

Message 20 of 21 (1,764 Views)

I thought this was a very interesting topic, because I've read a lot about food sensitivities in the past year. I also had a battery of tests for food allergies/sensitivities, and tested positive for everything under the sun .. although I've never had a reaction to anything I've eaten. So the doctor & other experts in the field say those test results are probably due to "leaky gut syndrome" (AKA "increased intestinal permiability"). Fix that, and the sensitivities/allergies may go away or lessen.