Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Food Allergy Triggers

Message 21 of 25

I have allergies to hazelnuts and peach skins; they both make my lips tingle and throat swell.  Several years ago, after having a few years of bloating, abdominal pain,and morning nausea, I underwent tests and was told I have an intolerance to gluten and casein.  After about 6 months of no gluten or dairy, I no longer had the morning nausea and the other symptoms diminished.  I now am able to eat goat or sheep milk products and a little cow dairy, but eating gluten (as has happened accidentally a few times) still triggers all the symptoms.  It is inconvenient, but I am lucky I'm not celiac and can tolerate some cross-contamination, and that there are now so many gluten-free options.  I do miss a really good pie crust though.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

I guess I am lucky considering the other posts. The only thing I am allergic to food wise are artificial sweetners. I have to check labels on some things to make sure it does not contain any of them.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

Years ago I was diagnosed with multiple allergies, but was warned that food allergy testing wasn't foolproof.  I was given a list of foods to avoid and over time worked my way through checking them out.  Milk was the number one issue, though cheese and yogurt were fine.  And no, lactaid type products didn't help.  I found citrus gave me hives, but most of my reactions were gut related.  Then I was diagnosed with IBS, for which my triggers are mega-multiple and cross every food group.  I have a very limited, boring diet - and then I became lactose intolerant which eliminated yogurt and cheese (and no, lactaid is no help).  I've recently begun taking a Sam's club probiotic which actually does help, but doesn't allow me to add anything to my diet. 

It's almost impossible to travel or eat out, and any social activity that involves food is just no fun.  But hey, I'm up and about and active and every day is a gift. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

I thought this was a very interesting topic, because I've read a lot about food sensitivities in the past year. I also had a battery of tests for food allergies/sensitivities, and tested positive for everything under the sun .. although I've never had a reaction to anything I've eaten. So the doctor & other experts in the field say those test results are probably due to "leaky gut syndrome" (AKA "increased intestinal permiability"). Fix that, and the sensitivities/allergies may go away or lessen.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Food Allergy Triggers

Message 25 of 25

As someone who has multiple food allergies and sensitivities myself, I was interested in this Web MD slide show of some common (and uncommon) food allergies.  It makes the point that an adult can be suddenly stricken with a shellfish allergy and it will remain with him for life...nothing to play around with as shellfish allergies can cause life-threatening anaphylaxis.  It also distinguishes between allergies, sensitivities and food intolerance.  I was only vaguely aware that a wheat allergy did not necessarily mean that someone would automatically have a gluten sensitivity.

It's good information presented in a quick, interesting format and a good "refresher" for all of us. How many of you have allergies yourselves or, even if not, have dealt with food allergies suffered by children and grandchildren?

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/ss/slideshow-food-allergy-triggers

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Replies