You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Fighting cholesteral using fishoil

Message 1 of 6
My cholesterol has risen from 104 to 250 over the past 20 yrs. & gaining 20 lbs.  I only lose 5 lbs when I walk 3 miles/day but I feel great; however, bad cholesterol is a worry.  Doc has tried 6 cholesterol meds/statins & now wants me to start on another one, taking an aspirin 30 minutes prior to taking it to prevent flushing.  I'm really scared.  The pains I've had with the various meds are pretty disabling.  I cut anything out to eat that has cholesterol in it; still didn't work.  No meat, went vegetarian (not vegan), no success.  I'll have to get in the habit of using fish oil EVERY day.  Glad to hear it works.

In Response to Re: Fighting cholesteral using fishoil:
In Response to Re: Fighting cholesteral using fishoil : Just found your post.  My bad cholesteral did go down using the fishoil.  I take two 1200's twice a day.  I shall never be on a statin drug again; it almost did me in.  I hope you're doing well changing your eating habits. 
Posted by lady67

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6
In Response to Fighting cholesteral using fishoil:
Anyone having good luck using fish oil?  What ideas are being used by you to fight bad cholesteral in a natural way?  
Posted by lady67
I suggest using Krill Oil!

Cholesterol and Triglyceride Lowering Foods

Mushrooms

Used for centuries in Eastern medicine, mushrooms have powerful effects on the immune system – especially the maitake, shiitake, and reishi varieties. "Mushrooms such as maitake help prevent and treat cancer, viral diseases, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure," says Bauman. In fact, mushrooms are used as an adjunctive cancer treatment throughout Asia because of their ability to counteract the toxic effects of chemotherapy and radiation while simultaneously shrinking tumors. What's more, Japanese researchers have found that regularly eating shiitake mushrooms lowers blood cholesterol levels up to 45 percent.

Dark Chocolate

When it comes to chocolate, bitter is better – at least in terms of health. The benefits of chocolate come from flavonols and antioxidants (the same disease-fighting chemicals found in cranberries, apples, strawberries, and red wine). The caveat: Only real cacao contains flavonols, so look for chocolate that boasts a high percentage of cacao (60 percent or more). Dark chocolate also has fewer calories than other varieties, and when eaten in moderation, it lowers unhealthy LDL cholesterol and prevents plaque from building up in your arteries.

Pomegranates

Pomegranates have up to three times the antioxidants of red wine and green tea – and the juice has been shown to reduce artery-clogging plaque, which in turn prevents heart disease and stroke. Research shows that long-term consumption of pomegranate juice may also help slow aging and protect against cancer.

Eggs

The best protein source on the planet, eggs consistently outrank milk, beef, whey, and soy in the quality of protein they provide. In addition to containing all nine essential amino acids, eggs are loaded with nutrients. "And for God's sake, eat the yolks," says Bowden. People avoid the yolks because they fear cholesterol, but egg yolks contain choline, which helps protect heart and brain function and prevents cholesterol and fat from accumulating in the liver.

Almonds

Almonds are loaded with fiber and monounsaturated fat, both of which have been shown to lower cholesterol. According to the Food and Drug Administration, eating 1.5 ounces of most nuts, including almonds, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease. And even though almonds are relatively high in fat and calories, studies show that eating almonds can actually help with weight loss (their protein, fiber, and monounsaturated fats provide the feeling of fullness, preventing overeating).

Garlic

Research shows that garlic lowers total cholesterol and triglyceride (blood fat) levels, helping prevent clogged arteries. "Two to three cloves a day cut the odds of subsequent heart attacks in half for heart disease patients," says Bauman. "Garlic also tops the National Cancer Institute's list of potential cancer-preventive foods." Whole baked garlic helps detoxify the body of heavy metals like mercury (from fish) and cadmium. Garlic also acts as an antibacterial and antiviral, boosting resistance to stress-induced colds and infections. Can't stand garlic breath? Chew on a sprig of parsley.

Fish and Fish Oil

Eating fish helps cut the risk of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, stroke, diabetes, and arthritis. The fatty varieties may also help alleviate depression. The American Heart Association recommends that adults eat at least two fish meals per week, especially wild salmon, herring, and sardines, because those varieties provide the most heart-healthy omega 3s. Avoid mercury-containing varieties like shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish, and albacore tuna, says Roberta Anding, M.S., R.D., national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. (Chunk light tuna is okay.)

Blueberries

Antiaging superstars, blueberries are loaded with antioxidants, especially anthocyanins, which have been shown to improve vision and brain function. Studies show that eating blueberries slows impairments in motor coordination and memory that accompany aging. These little berries also reduce inflammation, which is inextricably linked with virtually every chronic disease from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, to diabetes and heart disease. Other studies show that blueberries have much greater anticancer activity than other fruits.

Apples

"An apple a day really does keep the doctor away," says Jonny Bowden, Ph.D., C.N.S., author of The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth. Apples are loaded with the powerful antioxidants quercetin and catechin, which protect cells from damage - that means a reduced risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease, especially if you eat the skin. Research shows that the apple peel contains five times more polyphenols than the flesh. Apples and their skins pack a lot of fiber too (about twice that of other common fruits, including peaches, grapes, and grapefruit), which may help fight the battle of the bulge.

Avocados

Sure, they're high in fat, but avocados contain healthful monounsaturated fat, which has been linked to a reduced risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. "Avocados aid in blood and tissue regeneration, stabilize blood sugar, and are excellent for heart disorders," says Ed Bauman, Ph.D., director of Bauman College. They're loaded with fiber (11 to 17 grams per fruit) and are a good source of lutein, an antioxidant linked to eye and skin health.

Avoid trans-fat. Stay away from items that list "partially hydrogenated oil" on the label, especially snack foods such as chips or cookies. Use fresh garlic regularly in your meals. This traditional herb has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels. Drink green tea daily. The antioxidant compounds in green tea help lower cholesterol and prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol. Eat plenty of soluble fiber. Fiber has a powerful cholesterol-lowering effect. The best natural sources are beans and lentils, apples, citrus fruits, oats, barley, peas, carrots and freshly ground flaxseed. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6
I started on a plant based diet on Sept. 1 of this year. I eat NO oil, No meat, fish or chicken, and no calcium products or salt. So far my weight has dropped 13 pound and my blood pressure has fallen below normal. My annual checkup is soon and I will see how much my cholesterol has dropped. If you wish to find out more about this diet read: "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease". It is a restrictive diet but  well worth trying if you have high cholesterol or high blood pressure. You will have to read the labels on all foods that you buy and get used to not using salt or oil. It is best to get your total cholesterol below 170. Ten years ago my cholesterol was 375 and with the use of statin drugs I have kept it between 180 and 200. I hope to drop it at least 30 more points with this diet and perhaps get off the stain.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6
I am 68 years young. I was recently told my cholesteral if 84, but should be at 70.
Does this fish oil stuff really work?

I was also told my calcium level is too high. I want to change my eatng habits once and
for all. I would like to loose 70 lb.

I need some good encouragement along with good encouoraging news.

Ms just getting started, and will never give up.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Fighting cholesteral using fishoil

Message 5 of 6
Anyone having good luck using fish oil?  What ideas are being used by you to fight bad cholesteral in a natural way?   Undecided
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Fighting cholesteral using fishoil

Message 5 of 6
Anyone having good luck using fish oil?  What ideas are being used by you to fight bad cholesteral in a natural way?   Undecided
Kudos
Views
Replies