Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Does Any One Have Reoccurring Kidney Stones?

Social Butterfly

Does Any One Have Reoccurring Kidney Stones?

Had my first stone in 1991, and then none until two years ago.  Since then, I've had four surgeries to remove four of them.  Would like to get more information on an eating plan for someone who is a "stone former."  They are the calcium oxalate  type.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Never had a kidney stone but people warned me that drinking a lot of milk, which I do, causes it, so I did some research.  Apparently soluble oxalate enters the bloodstream from eating certain green leafy vegetables and drinking milk with it forms insoluble calcium oxalate which reduces absorption.  The point is drink a lot of milk when eating high oxalate foods.  Better yet, don't ever eat high oxalate foods and drink a lot of milk.  See

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12810415/

I just now read that cashews and almonds are high oxalate. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky Thank you for the info.  Yes, you want to combine calcium with any oxalate foods.  Continuing to read everything I can about stone formation.  Another thing I recently learned, was that most American eat way more protein than is necessary and sodium levels are sky high.  Both connected with kidney stones.  Meeting with a dietician in a few weeks recommended by my Dr. to see what adjustments I can make.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP