How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Do your knees talk to you?

Message 1 of 8 (1,100 Views)
I want to be able to walk the dog without pain, and go to a national park and take an easy trail. Is that asking too much? And I really want to get back to gardening with my native plant beds.
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 8 (1,116 Views)

texn wrote:

My knees are hollering for help.  Their life style has certainly been affected.  I'm going to be merciful and give 'em a break in two weeks, and get some replacements.  Hopefully I'll then have the ability to be more active, lose some weight, and be on better terms with my new knees.

@texn A couple of our friends have had knee replacements, though they did them one at a time. For one the surgery worked wonders, for the other, well, let's just say it reduced his pain but didn't improve his recumbent cycling speed a bit (I still beat him everytime Smiley Happy).  The one for whom the surgery worked wonders was out walking his 3 mile route this morning and looking chipper. All this to say: best wishes on your surgery and weight loss goals!

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 8 (1,127 Views)

My knees are hollering for help.  Their life style has certainly been affected.  I'm going to be merciful and give 'em a break in two weeks, and get some replacements.  Hopefully I'll then have the ability to be more active, lose some weight, and be on better terms with my new knees.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8 (1,764 Views)

One of my knees frequently talks-the-talk and has trouble with the walk-the-walk. It sounds like a squeaky hinge especially when I bend/squat down under my full body weight and then try to stand up.

After sports in school I continued to play softball into my early forties and I don’t think I did any favors for my knees or body by doing that, but I sure had fun doing it. I also think some of us have more of a genetic predisposition to arthritis through our DNA.  

Once my knee really starts inferring with my lifestyle I’ll concede to the scalpel and join the 600,000 people who receive knee replacements each year. But for now I’ll just take a couple ibuprofen with my morning coffee and be on my way.

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 8 (1,897 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

No. Never had a knee problem. I'm going on 67 and have been working out 5 days a week for 35 years or so. Wife is doing the same. We both jog and bike regularly, pain free.

I do a step class and a boot camp class where we do a lot of squats, walking knee bends with weights, and other leg exercises.

You have to push yourself with aerobics and weight training, keep the weight off, and unless you have some hereditary condition, should be able to keep active indefinitely. There are some other, older people in the classes I attend who are as fit as I am. Our Pilates instructor is just about my age, and I can't do half of what she does in class, seemingly effortlessly.

Epster continually posts about what one can accomplish, physically, if motivated. 

@retiredtraveler  I'll share the secret of my personal motivation: a congenital defect resulting in a mal-aligned sketetal system, which, doctors have been saying for decades, will land me in a wheelchair. I aim to prove them wrong. So far so good. Only 35ish more years to go before I can claim victory ... LOL!

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 8 (1,904 Views)

No. Never had a knee problem. I'm going on 67 and have been working out 5 days a week for 35 years or so. Wife is doing the same. We both jog and bike regularly, pain free.

I do a step class and a boot camp class where we do a lot of squats, walking knee bends with weights, and other leg exercises.

You have to push yourself with aerobics and weight training, keep the weight off, and unless you have some hereditary condition, should be able to keep active indefinitely. There are some other, older people in the classes I attend who are as fit as I am. Our Pilates instructor is just about my age, and I can't do half of what she does in class, seemingly effortlessly.

Epster continually posts about what one can accomplish, physically, if motivated. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 8 (1,930 Views)

Yeah they're always talking lol

Community Manager

Do your knees talk to you?

Message 8 of 8 (2,008 Views)

I have had noise in my knees for years and several people state that is a sign of arthritis?  What do you think?  I know there isn't much in the way of cartilge and remember my doctor stating how that is so much more common today.  Do your knees talk to you?

AARPTeri