Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you use earplugs? Have you?

The more articles on hearing loss, I realize I should be using ear plugs for certain events.  I noticed at a local pub with live music that the staff were wearing ear plugs and thought that was a great idea.  Have you worn them? 

With so much hearing loss caused by noise - maybe you should...

Article worth the read:

http://blog.aarp.org/2015/05/13/earplugs-that-let-in-the-good-block-the-bad/

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Have worn moose canceling headphones on range, to protect hearing from sound of .44,.45, .22, and 50 still can hear after 55+years.

Ear plugs and air pods for chainsaws in yard works, mower, blowers, etc with the occasional cannon fire in close proximity 

Thankfully my ears still work

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos

I wear ear plugs in the studio when others are using power tools, or metal working tools. I wear ear plugs when we go to see a movie in a movie theatre, or used to, anyway...I haven't been in a movie theatre since March of 2020. I wear ear plugs when I use the vacuum in my home. I experienced some ear sensitivites after recovering from a bout with Bell's Palsey, and I also have some tinnitus.

Trusted Social Butterfly

I have two pairs of earplugs that I got for free that I don't use because they are too large for my ear canals.  I picked them up off the sidewalk.  These days, along with face masks, earplugs are a common form of litter.  Remarkably, in the last five years, money has become much less common on sidewalks, maybe, because people use more credit and debit cards instead of cash.  Or, maybe, pockets are less inclined to develop holes.  Who knows?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Maybe you should throw those earplugs away

Contributor

Earplugs are de rigueur for riding the subway in NYC.  Putting them in and noticing the silence enter gradually is wonderful.  Feels like taking a vacation in the middle of the busy city.

0 Kudos

Yes

0 Kudos

Occasionally

0 Kudos

Yes, I have Chronic Migraines which are frequently noise induced so I am frequently wearing ear plugs. Something as simple as a watch ticking or a fan running can be a trigger for me. I prefer the silicone /wax like ear plugs. They are moldable to any ear shape and very comfortable. If extra protection is needed for things like mowing grass I add a over the ear type hearing protector. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

• I really like the silicone/wax earplugs as well, they work great for me. I sleep so much better with ear plugs in. What i DON'T like about them is the way they tear out my ear hairs when I remove them...
  •  
  • I can't understand how people can pay to have parts waxed?!?!?! Yow!!!😂

I use ear plugs every time I fly on an airplane.  I think I’ve only worn earplugs to sleep once to drown out the noise because there were many people in my immediate sleeping environment at the time. My husband, a retired carpenter had many of those foam earplugs and I would take some of the packets and use then for traveling. Maybe I should have worn them more often, and I wouldn’t be having the ringing and hissing sounds now. 

0 Kudos

I use earplugs every night. They drown out the sound of my husband's snoring  and talking in his sleep.  I also use an eye mask and by doing so I get the most restful nights sleep now.😁😁

Contributor

I do exactly the same and find it so helpful.  My spouse doesn't snore but I was often waking up due to other even less loud sounds.  Then it was hard to get back to sleep.  Now I sleep all through the night.  So much better.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I also use earplugs and an eye mask every night.  Additionally, I now keep a pair   of earplugs in my purse and use them at the movies and other loud venues.

0 Kudos

I also wear earplugs and eye mask almost every night.  I am a widow and I now live in a senior apartment complex that is right on a busy intersection.  It's nuts.  I bought hearing aids 2 years ago and it's been so frustrating getting them adjusted just right.  

0 Kudos

I always keep my earplugs in my purse.  I like to use the soft, waxy kind, but don't make them too big--maybe the size of a pea.  If I don't use earplugs when I swim I always get water in my ears and it's a real pain to hear for days on end.  Also, when I'm traveling I need them, keeps out the noise of everything when I need a good night sleep.  Love my earplugs!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I wear ear plugs at movies. I say if people want to hear the movies at such a ridiculous volume, give them head phones which allow them to listen to the movie as loud as they want
Contributor

I have always worn ear protection for concerts and other loud events like sports, shooting range, power tools and riding a motorcycle.  I also am mindful of not cranking up the volume of my music on my earphones or in my car.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

When I'm mowing the lawn, using the chainsaw, leaf blower, pressure washer, or listerning to Mad Money with Jim Cramer on CNBC.  They're all extremely irritating and will cause permanent hearing loss.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I losted my hearing at a very early age- 50 years ago- and have suffered very severe tinnitus ever since. At times it is so distracting that I cannot concentrate or sleep. Constant loud, high-pitched whistle.

I now wear ear muffs and inserts (sometimes both if at the gun range) while mowing, using a chainsaw/power saw/other lawn equipment.

If you do not protect your hearing, you will be sorry- I sure am.

Contributor

We wear them at concerts and movies. Why do they have to be so loud?
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, I wear plugs for certain events with loud music. More importantly, I use ear muffs when running outdoor machinery: lawn mower, blower, string trimmer, chain saw..............

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Social Butterfly

I have always been sensitive to very loud noise. I used to go to concerts as a teen with tissue paper stuffed in my ears. I do worry now about ear phones and hearing loss. I love my MP3 player when I walk my dogs. But I do try to be aware at keeping the volume from being too loud.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP