Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you take baby aspirin daily?

There are several reasons that people are told to take baby aspirin every day, do you take it?  Why?

AARPTeri
Contributor

No

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Thanks for your report. No, I don't take daily aspirin as preventative treatment for possible future heart and circulatory system problems.  It is my opinion that taking a known cause of stomach and intestinal bleeding, when it is not needed, would be foolish.  I believe the best behavior to stay healthy is exercise, good  nutrition, and healthy thoughts.  If I were to need a blood thinner, I would first try ground cloves which is a healthy natural blood thinner, without known side effects.  

Why pay the pharmaceutical-chemical companies for manmade, toxic chemicals, with bad side effects, to attack a sick body which needs healthy solutions to make it healthy again? The medical-pharmaceutical industry is about making money with toxic treatments, instead of natural cures with no toxic side effects.  It would be great if large institutions, like AARP, would champion change in the medical establishment toward good preventive health practices, instead of expensive and often harmful treatments. Surgery is sometimes helpful, but is often recommended when it is not needed. An emphasis on good health rather than profits might help to improve results.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, one baby aspirin a day

0 Kudos

I presently take two daily. I used to take one then my physician increased the amount to two. I am 72 and have taken baby aspirin for likely 13 years. My dad died from congestive heart failure at age 68 and maternal grandfather passed from a stroke in his 80's.

0 Kudos
Contributor

yes

0 Kudos

My Doctor put me on a whole 325 Mg Asprin after a suspecte stroke in 2009.  I haven't had any bleeding issues but I am concerned what to do in the future.  Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I stopped taking daily aspirin because of recent news about it on TV.  I have noticed that I don't bleed nearly as much when I cut myself shaving. If you have unexpected surgery, aspirin can cause serious bleeding problems.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take two every day to thin my blood to help prevent a third TI.  I had heart burn before the first TI and I stated taking baby aspirin.  I didn’t know how serious a problem heartburn really was if not treated properly.  I developed scare tissue in my throat and stomach.  I started meditation to correct the acid level but the damage was done.  I was concerned about taking aspirin with the scare tissue problem.  I have had no additional problems caused from taking baby aspirin.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do NOT take a daily aspirin.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, had a heart attack August 18th this year. Have been told that I need to take that one for the rest of my life. 

I also take a few other pills which I am glad to stop after a year or so.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes.  Now I wonder if I should continue to do so.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, My wife and I both take a baby asprin daily

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, One doctor recommended for the "Just In Case" scenerio that it may help because have some relatives with cardio problems.

0 Kudos

Yes, I am now 80 with no heart problems.  I have been taking baby aspirin a day now for 40 years.  My father died at 54 with a heart attack from clogged arteries back in the day when they did not do bypass surgery, so all my doctors up to now think its a good idea to keep taking the baby aspirin just in case.

0 Kudos
Contributor

been taking it for 24 years daily
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I have had two mini strokes.  One 81mg in the morning and one at bedtime.

0 Kudos

Yes I have since 1998

0 Kudos

Yes, I do.  On the recommendation of my Cardiologist. 

0 Kudos

Yes - My Dr recommended it after learning thatmy Dad died from a massive heart attack at the age of 59.   Started taking baby aspirin (81 mg) daily ince my late 40's and I am now 65.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take two anacin daily because I have osteo arthritis and it really helps with the pain I get. I chew it with deluted juice and swallow it. Then I eat a piece of bread or something small and so far, I have not had an ulcer. Also, I am afraid of other over the counter meds for pain because they say that those meds like alleve and ibuprofin, etc can cause calcification and plaque build up in the arteries and asparin is less likely to do that. Celebrex and clinoril makes plaque buildup worse so I take the anacin which is  twice as strong as one aspirin for pain. Yes, it does increase chances of bleeding but so do all the other blood thinners around. I let the anacin take care of all that, too. I use k2 M7 to help counteract blood thinning and it seems to balance things. It certainly helps me with arthritis pain. Anacin is a combination of regular sized asparin and some caffeine so it works better for pain. Old folks just have to find things that work for them and causes fewer side effects. I do not think 81mgs. help much for aspirin. I use the full dosage for the regular size asparin. Just try anacin in your local drugstore or grocery store. 

0 Kudos

1. Aspirin is an NSAID just like Aleve and Motrin.
2. NSAIDs do not really make "plaque build up" worse but they do increase chances of bleeding ulcer (this includes aspirin) and can harm the kidneys with daily use
3. Low dose aspirin has almost no effect on arthritis, that's not what it's used for
Really there is virtually no difference (as far as risk goes) between 2 full aspirin and a dose of Aleve or Motrin, don't fool yourself. Ask your doctor!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes.  325mg everyday.  I have a history of corroded artery stroke and vascular disease.  I have been on this dose for 11 years and I have a long history of ulcers in my 20's and 30's.  I have my labs done annually watching my kidneys and I take care of my stomach.  People often forget how many health issues can be controlled by managing a healthy gut!

I agree on the strength of aspirin.  I also take 1000mg of prescription Naproxen daily, but I have very high pain levels, so on occasion if I need a pain medication boost I simple take an extra aspirin.

My family has a high record of opiod addiction and I would never utilize anything stronger than an aspirin.  If that doesn't take the edge off you might need to find alternative pain management.  ex: chiropractic care, accupuncture, massage, EDR, bio feed back, etc.... We have so many choices!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I took 81mg of asprin per day for the last 3 years. I started having stomach problems and got checked out by a gastro doctor. He performed an endoscopy two times.... the 1st one 3 months ago and the 2nd was yesterday. He told me I have a stomach ulser and gave a script to help heal it. I am 63 and cannot eat what I used to be able to eat since it messes my stomach up pretty bad. I quit taking asprin altogether.

Periodic Contributor

absolutely
0 Kudos
Contributor

NO

0 Kudos
Contributor

No
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, after suffering a stress-induced heart attack from a dog bite 6 years ago.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes. Recommended by doctor after leg artery was found to be 100% blocked.
0 Kudos
Contributor

yes

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP