Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you take baby aspirin daily?

Message 1 of 120

yes, I am 82 yrs. old never don't have any heart problem. My doctor told me to take baby aspirin every night. I only have heart palpitation sometimes. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 120

Yes, I am now 80 with no heart problems.  I have been taking baby aspirin a day now for 40 years.  My father died at 54 with a heart attack from clogged arteries back in the day when they did not do bypass surgery, so all my doctors up to now think its a good idea to keep taking the baby aspirin just in case.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 120
Family heart issues...
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 120

YES

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 120

Yes.  325mg everyday.  I have a history of corroded artery stroke and vascular disease.  I have been on this dose for 11 years and I have a long history of ulcers in my 20's and 30's.  I have my labs done annually watching my kidneys and I take care of my stomach.  People often forget how many health issues can be controlled by managing a healthy gut!

I agree on the strength of aspirin.  I also take 1000mg of prescription Naproxen daily, but I have very high pain levels, so on occasion if I need a pain medication boost I simple take an extra aspirin.

My family has a high record of opiod addiction and I would never utilize anything stronger than an aspirin.  If that doesn't take the edge off you might need to find alternative pain management.  ex: chiropractic care, accupuncture, massage, EDR, bio feed back, etc.... We have so many choices!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 120
It depends on your age and your level of risk. Sadly, even aspirin has become complicated! We used to think it was an across-the-board benefit but now we are learning that even the small risk of increased bleeding offsets the protection for many people. Those with established heart or vascular disease should VERY DEFINITELY be on aspirin unless there is a compelling reason to use something else. This should be for their doctors to decide! But for preventing heart attack/stroke in those who haven't yet had one, it's no longer a simple "yes, why not?" but takes some deciding between you and your doctor.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 120
1. Aspirin is an NSAID just like Aleve and Motrin.
2. NSAIDs do not really make "plaque build up" worse but they do increase chances of bleeding ulcer (this includes aspirin) and can harm the kidneys with daily use
3. Low dose aspirin has almost no effect on arthritis, that's not what it's used for
Really there is virtually no difference (as far as risk goes) between 2 full aspirin and a dose of Aleve or Motrin, don't fool yourself. Ask your doctor!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 120

I take two anacin daily because I have osteo arthritis and it really helps with the pain I get. I chew it with deluted juice and swallow it. Then I eat a piece of bread or something small and so far, I have not had an ulcer. Also, I am afraid of other over the counter meds for pain because they say that those meds like alleve and ibuprofin, etc can cause calcification and plaque build up in the arteries and asparin is less likely to do that. Celebrex and clinoril makes plaque buildup worse so I take the anacin which is  twice as strong as one aspirin for pain. Yes, it does increase chances of bleeding but so do all the other blood thinners around. I let the anacin take care of all that, too. I use k2 M7 to help counteract blood thinning and it seems to balance things. It certainly helps me with arthritis pain. Anacin is a combination of regular sized asparin and some caffeine so it works better for pain. Old folks just have to find things that work for them and causes fewer side effects. I do not think 81mgs. help much for aspirin. I use the full dosage for the regular size asparin. Just try anacin in your local drugstore or grocery store. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 120

I take a daily aspirin daily and a full aspirin on the 1st. & 16th. of the month. I had read in the past that by doing so it further reduces your chances of heart attacks by 40%. Am I correct or did I misread it ?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you take baby aspirin daily?Y

Message 10 of 120

Yes, 85 mg! I'm an 83 year old heart patient and have been taking them for several years!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera