Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you take baby aspirin daily?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you take baby aspirin daily?

There are several reasons that people are told to take baby aspirin every day, do you take it?  Why?

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

While low-dose aspirin, often referred to as "baby aspirin," has some potential benefits, it also carries certain disadvantages and risks. It's important to note that the information provided here is not a substitute for professional medical advice, and you should consult with a healthcare professional before starting or stopping any medication regimen. Here are some potential disadvantages of taking baby aspirin daily:

1. Increased risk of bleeding: Aspirin, even in low doses, can inhibit blood clotting. While this can be beneficial in certain situations, such as reducing the risk of heart attack or stroke in individuals at high risk, it can also increase the risk of bleeding. This is particularly concerning for individuals with a history of gastrointestinal ulcers, bleeding disorders, or those taking other medications that can increase bleeding risk.

2. Gastrointestinal side effects: Regular aspirin use, including baby aspirin, can irritate the lining of the stomach and increase the risk of developing gastrointestinal ulcers or bleeding. This risk is higher in individuals with a history of stomach ulcers or gastrointestinal issues.

3. Allergic reactions: Some individuals may be allergic to aspirin or develop an allergic reaction over time. Allergic reactions can range from mild symptoms like rash or itching to more severe reactions like difficulty breathing or anaphylaxis, which is a life-threatening condition.

4. Drug interactions: Baby aspirin can interact with other medications, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs. It's essential to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking to avoid potential interactions or adverse effects.

5. Limited benefits in low-risk individuals: The benefits of daily low-dose aspirin therapy for preventing cardiovascular events (such as heart attacks and strokes) may outweigh the risks in individuals at high risk. However, in low-risk individuals, the potential benefits may not outweigh the risks, and the decision to take aspirin should be made in consultation with a healthcare professional.

It's crucial to remember that the decision to take aspirin, especially on a daily basis, should be based on an individual's specific health condition, risk factors, and medical history. Your healthcare provider is the best resource to provide personalized advice and recommendations.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I bought some a month ago to take but it’s just been sitting there.

0 Kudos
Contributor

yes

0 Kudos

No.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes

0 Kudos

yes, I am 82 yrs. old never don't have any heart problem. My doctor told me to take baby aspirin every night. I only have heart palpitation sometimes. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Family heart issues...
0 Kudos

YES

0 Kudos

I take a daily aspirin daily and a full aspirin on the 1st. & 16th. of the month. I had read in the past that by doing so it further reduces your chances of heart attacks by 40%. Am I correct or did I misread it ?

0 Kudos

It depends on your age and your level of risk. Sadly, even aspirin has become complicated! We used to think it was an across-the-board benefit but now we are learning that even the small risk of increased bleeding offsets the protection for many people. Those with established heart or vascular disease should VERY DEFINITELY be on aspirin unless there is a compelling reason to use something else. This should be for their doctors to decide! But for preventing heart attack/stroke in those who haven't yet had one, it's no longer a simple "yes, why not?" but takes some deciding between you and your doctor.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, 85 mg! I'm an 83 year old heart patient and have been taking them for several years!

Yes I take an 80mg asprin for my heart and a 325mg everyday for aches and pains.It has not killed me yet. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Not any more.  As I approached age 70, my doctor expressed doubt of any benefits given my overall good health.  So I stopped.

Contributor

Yes.  After a heart valve replacement too plavix for 4 months plus a low dose aspirin.  After 4 months the plavix was discontinued but advised to remain on low dose aspirin.

Contributor

I have been taking a baby aspirin at night with my asthma and statin medications for a few years now.  I occasionaly have PVCs and some family members had heart problems. I decided a daily baby aspirin was a good idea for me.

0 Kudos

YES

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, adult low dose (81 mg).

0 Kudos

I have taken prescribed aspirin, 325mg daily (not the baby tablet) for about 20 years.  I have had Peripheral Atheroscrosis (both legs) for approximately 60 years. I am 81 years of age (a/o Feb 02, 2019). Know for your record that I have been going to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida since 2002 for everything but occular problems.  I am extremely active, climb stairs, climb ladders to 1 & 2 story commercial roof tops.  I own and operate retail businesses.  My circle of friends are in their 50's.

To be fair to your program, know that I have a blind spot in one eye that is attributed to a blocked blood vessel in the eye.  The blindness affects only my center field of vision.  The peripheral vision

is OK in that eye.  The cause of the vascular blockage has been diagnosed, but the conclusion was that they  have not yet developed sufficient information in this field.  For occular problems, I go to the Bascom Palmer Hospital in South Florida (world famous for occular care).

Know that at 78.5 years of age I began to have current memory issues.  I have no problem remembering things of the past.  Diagnosis ruled OUT Alzheimers.  I forget words but remember the definition of the word that I cannot verbalize.  We are going to do cerebral/head testing to determine if this might be caused by damaged blood vessels.  Should this be the cause, it would most likely be evident.

Sara L. Jacobson

407-314-5745

jacobson.antiques@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, we are both 80 [6 days apart] and have been taking one Baby Aspirin a day according to our doctor's recomendation.

0 Kudos

Yes. My dr told me to
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, I take a baby aspin at night with food for 30 years. I also take "Prescribed" fish oil for about 15 years...again with food.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take fish oil instead.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I did for many years but have stopped recently due to the information in the recent studies.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes and have taken them for about 20 years. i'M 75+ AND NO SIDE EFFECTS BUT PLAN ON NOW STOPPING.
Bill Fernandez
0 Kudos

Yes, have hx of CAD.

Contributor

I take a baby apirin daily with my morning prescriptions.

0 Kudos
Contributor

No, never.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, I have an artificial heart valve. 

0 Kudos

YES

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP