Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?  What is your experience, discuss with others here!

AARPTeri
Contributor

Any scuba divers out there you might want to take it up at least for temporary relief, my brother has tennitis and noticed it go away temporarily during and for a short time after diving.I am an open water nitrox diver and know that you can't dive with a blocked estution tube its painful to try, but diving can open the tube(please excuse spelling stupid spell check keeps changing words)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I've had tinnitus since 1995.  I had brain cancer and the radiation after the surgery caused severe damage to my aural nerves, so I have profound hearing loss and severe tinnitus.  I'm stuck with it until they figure out how to repair nerves.  I could have died from brain cancer, so I'm OK with it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have suffered for many years and have total hearing loss in one ear and tinnitus in both. Nothing I have tried helps.

0 Kudos
Contributor

have a whole in right ear have alot of ringing dr said i need ampliyer and  medicaid dont cover it because it was a birth defect, i want to learn sign language but don't have a car to go anywhere or maoney to buy a car i am a widow and funds are limit, 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sherri, if you can find an elder advocacy organization in your area, such as Council on Aging, or AGE, maybe they can find help for you on getting the hearing device and help you need.  Best wishes.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SherriR896865 wrote:

have a whole in right ear have alot of ringing dr said i need ampliyer and  medicaid dont cover it because it was a birth defect, i want to learn sign language but don't have a car to go anywhere or maoney to buy a car i am a widow and funds are limit, 

Medicaid coverage for hearing loss problems depends on your age and the state which you have Medicaid coverage.

Hearing Loss Association of America: Medicaid 

If you are already on Medicare and have Medicaid as 2nd coverage - the rules of Medicare rule.

Medicare.gov - Hearing and Balance exams 

Medicare.gov - Hearing Aids 

However, if you only need amplification, there maybe some help coming soon -

AARP 05/06/2019 - Congress Approves Over-the-Counter Hearing Aids  

Sign language is great if you are surrounded by people who know how to communicate that way - otherwise, not so much.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

I have a.severe hearing loss in both ears, have been to audiologist that simply recommend hearing aids for me. My quality of life is very poor. I don't enjoy anything anymore, don't talk to people, I have isolated myself do to my hearing loss. It is very stressful with my family, I can not afford hearing aids, it is ridiculous the prices. What can I do ? Can anyone help me? I can't hear and my life is miserable because of it. Can you help? Maybe you can put me in the right direction where I can get affordable hearing aids? Thank you

0 Kudos
Contributor

Harbor Freight has hearing aids for around $10 although I don't think they're allowed to call them hearing aids but they have the piece that plugs into the ear and the part that rests over and behind the ear they amplify well and are battery operated, you can't tell by looking at them that they aren't hearing aids.

0 Kudos

I sure hope you were able to get help.  I see the date of this post is over a year.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Write to Sharkey with your situation that makes hearing aids out of reach,  they do have a foundation that may be able to help you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Where are you?  I use Advanced Hearing Aid Centers and I wear one of their hearing aids that really help me.   They're on Central Ave in Albany, NY.   Another thing I have found is to use masking noise, like a radio.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am in Florida. Have been to ENT doctor. I have hearing aids that are also maskers. When the noise gets extra loud I use them and I have  a medication for night time sleep. Just had 2 quiet days which was awesome. Watching the 2 trials for cures that are in progress. Otherwise just trying to habituate to the sound by mostly keeping busy.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, I had mild tinnitus in my right ear. After haveing surgery on my left ear I lost my hearing in the left ear and developed sever tinnitus in that ear. Now I suffer with this 24 hours a day. Since there is no known cure I can only say that those who suffer, "I wish you the best and believe me you can live a somewhat normal life by facing the reality and putting up with those who cannot deal with those with tinnitus asking them to constantly repeat themselves." Once they realizing that a person suffers with tinnitus they should make an effort to speak clearly and louder in the presence of the one suffering. It is our mission to share the effects of tinnitus and inform everyone they speak to so they can make an effort to help. Do not be ashamed to share your problem with everyone. Pray those few that do not understand and help never have to suffer with tinnitus as they may have a much worse challenge facing it.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I've had severe tinnitus since 1995.  I had brain cancer followed by surgery and radiation, both of which damaged my aural and spinal nerves.  I then got hit by a car in 2009 which did more nerve damage.  I have tinnitus and phantom pain...both suck, but they beat the hell out of dead.

Conversationalist

I dropped my phone once too often and was getting a lot of static on it. Then I started having ringing ears. Finally got rid of the phone but the volume control on the new phone wasn't working and the problem was persisting. Got a third phone with volume control and I'm finding essential oils in jojoba or castor oil as a carrier on a bit of cotton in my ear and spread around my ear are helpful. Ringing is stopped, although there is still a bit of pain. Hoping to heal the nerves before they die. 

CBD oil, Rosemary oil and Helichrysum 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been suffering Tinnitus for years. I hear it constantly in my right ear, with one exception.  While undergoing dental surgery,  after receiving multiple shots of novocaine on my right side, it completely went away for about 24 hours. I was blown away how nice it was not hearing the incessant ringing! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

How very interesting about the novocain at the dentist that stopped your ringing. Maybe something the researchers should look into.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have had tinnitus for 6 months now and wound up in hospital after 1 month and not sleeping for 3 weeks. Tried noise machine, maskers, ENT, etc. Finally got med for sleeping-took 5 tries to find the right one. Following Erchonia and Innerscope Hearing-they are awaiting FDA approval for low level laser therapy for trearment of tinnitus. Certainly keeping my hope up along with cognitive behavioral therapy. Very hard to ignore the screeching.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I started to have buzzing in my ears after taking aspirin.  Couldn't figure out what it was or how to get rid of it.  Plus, when I took medications it seemed to make it worse.  The doctor told me there is no way to get rid of it, well doctor when you said that, I began my research.

Then, I read in a book, that there was a way to get rid of it and permanently without any side effects.

Its called Fenucreek Seed Tea - you can buy it at a health food store, the seeds and you make a tea.  It tastes pretty good as well.

Boil one cup of water, put in 1 tsp of Fenucreek seeds, steep 20 minutes and then strain and let cool, then drink it.  Can make 3 x a day.

It will make it go away, it all depends on your usage of medications.

the first time I tried it, it took a week to completely get rid of it.  Now, I use it if it flares up and yes, flares happen.

Periodic Contributor

Hmm....sounds interesting!  I'll have to try it!  I love the idea of actually stopping the hissing whine in my ears.  Does it calm the aural nerves, is that how it works?

That's what's causing my severe tinnitus: damaged aural nerves.  They were damaged by radiation therapy to the head....but if they hadn't done it, I'd be dead from brain cancer, so there it is.

--Beth  🙂

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'll try it.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Actually, It's 1 tsp of Fenucreek seeds into 1 cup of water.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I've had tinnitus for almost 20 years.  While the common myth is that a mis-spent youth working and playing at loud concerts caused it, the more likely reason was 15 years working as a field representative for a major company in print and reproduction.  While the overall loundness was far below a concert's (The Who - Quadrophenia - @140db) it was the daily exposure that damaged my inner ear.

In my case it sound like I live in a passenger jet all day long.  Since I now suffer a measurable hearing loss I may find some relief with hearing aids.  When bad, the tinnitus blurs sylibants and makes clear understanding difficult.  If I am engrossed in a task, I no longer notice the noise - so the brain can learn to "tune it out."  Unfortunately, unlike jet noise, there is no way to externally cancle out the frequencies.  

I am hoping that a set of hearing aids can raise the "noise floor" so that conversation is above the constant "hiss" I hear.

0 Kudos

Yes

0 Kudos
Contributor

I’ve had it for years now in one ear only, which also is losing ability to hear.  High pitch tones usually which is miserable when I try to sleep.  I have aid which seems to help soften the sounds sometimes.  I’m wondering if and when I can no longer hear in that ear, if the tinnitus will stop!  Really wish there was solution.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have tinnitus and wear hearing aids in both ears, though only my left ear has severe hearing loss.  The hearing aids do muffle the tinnitus, but without the aids, the tinnitus is still loud and persistent, especially, it seems, in the left ear.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just recently started experience the symptoms of tinnitus.  This started to occur after I started taking antibiotics for an infection which they say can be a cause for this to happen.  My symptoms are just a low whistling sound but I'm concerned that it could get worse.  Talked to my doctor about it and he told me to not think about it and it will not impair you.....yuck.  Sounds like bad advice so I plan on visitind an audiologist to see if any else can help address this.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Have you considered scheduling an appointment with an ENT ( Ear Nose Thoat) rather than an Audiologist?
Conversationalist

If the tinnitis was the side effect of a fluoridated drug like one of the fluoroquinolone antibiotics (Cipro, etc.) your fluoridated toothpaste and fluoridated tap water could be setting you off. Ditto for foods made with fluoridated water or substances, and that includes tea, cofffee, wine, beer.... 

For the first time in I don't know how long, I had a short spell just yesterday. I know exactly what I ate to set me off because it was something I only very rarely eat and when thinking about it I realized it has a high water content.

I'm lucky as all my episodes have been short lived - so in my case I was able to ignore it - but that is bad advice. Tininitis was my body telling me I was being poisoned. Definitely consult another doctor, but don't count on them. Took me decades to figure this out. Vertigo and arthritis were just two of the other symptoms I 'lived with' that were symptoms of fluoride poisoing and much more debilitating. Let me tell you, I was impaired... and now I'm furious. 

0 Kudos

Yes, I suffer from it and frankly it is beyond me that all I get from my Dr. is that there’s nothing that can be done!!  It can be extremely disturbing specially late afternoon every day!!

HELP!!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health