Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?  What is your experience, discuss with others here!

AARPTeri
Contributor

I have also acquired tinnitus from an anti-depressant.  It is a mild medication so I decided to try going off of it and found the tinnitus was not lessened at all.  I feel it is permanent now.

Contributor

I have had Meniers for about 25 years. The side effect of that is loss of hearing and tinnitus. I had a hearing aide 10 years ago or so. But it amplified the tinnitus so after a bit of time I stopped using the hearing aide. Even with current technologies I am reticent to invest in a hearing because I am not confident it will work with the tinnitus 

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

About 25 years ago, I had a brief episode of Meniers and it was one of the worst experiences in my life.  I was so dizzy that I couldn't read large lettering to dial 911.  I remember crawling on my stomach on my lawn while vomiting.  My neighbor noticed and called 911 for me.  I got a ct scan that didn't show anything abnormal.  My doctor told me that it was probably due to a viral infection.

This happened while I had tinnitus, which didn't change because of Meniers.

0 Kudos

I had a similar episode... thought I was having a stroke ...My ENT did a VNG test and said “ i’m sure you have a problem I just can’t find out what it is”... approximately three weeks later I woke up one morning with Nightes Nightes horrible horrible experience...

0 Kudos

Sorry should have been tinnitus .

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in 1999. I not only had tinnitus, but dizzy spells, vertigo, and vomiting at times. I was told to keep my sodium level to 2000 mg. or less a day, and limit my caffeine and alcohol. I also got hearing aids, as I lost hearing, mostly in my left ear. Since then, my tinnitus is a lot less. If I ingest a food item with too much sodium (usually in a restaurant where I not always can limit my sodium), my tinnitus goes up, so I know that is the cause.

Contributor

The radical affects of meniers subsided about 5 years ago ( vertigo, etc) but the tinnitus got worse since then. 400mg of magnesium & a daily diuretic while keeping sodium < 1200 MG was the key to reducing the radical part of meniers 

0 Kudos
Contributor

The hearing aids I recently got apparently have programing that does lessen the impact of my tinnitus.  My tinnitus is in the higher frequency - like being in a jet aircraft - so there is a boost from the hearing aid.

The one thing I wish I could figure out is what triggers my tinnitus to get louder.  Sometimes it recedes into the background to the point I don't notice it, but other times is is so loud it makes concentrating difficult. 

I'm lucky that the frequency of the sound is right where our "white noise" generator's "surf" sounds" are so that I don't have too much of an impact on my sleep.

Contributor

I have had intermittent luck with trigger point massage around my neck, ear, jaws, temples, and generally some seemingly irrelevant muscles of the head.

Trigger points are produced by some sort of trauma, such as physical or emotional, both causing muscles to tense up, such as when we clinic our jaws because of some emotion.

Although tinnitus seems to have many causes, I find trigger point relief reduces mine to zero for a couple of days. I can't find the causes that reproduce those trigger points. It is some memory in the mind that remembers which muscles are supposed to be kept tense.

I have found such memories for many trigger points in my body, but not for the ones in my head. That is why they come back. If I could find the original memory, I could extend the silence to weeks and even eventually for ever.

Mine is also like yours, a high pitch white noise. And it is amazing when it goes quiet for a day or two. The problem is that finding and releasing the trigger points is time consuming, and as far as have experienced with others, they have to be self administered.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you so much for your input. Very interesting. I am following "Otonomy 313" - they are doing trials. I keep hoping for some breakthrough. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been suffering from tinnitus for a few years in both ears.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

The new 5G wireless technology involves millimeter waves (extremely high frequencies) producing photons of much greater energy than even 4G and WiFi. Allowing this technology to be used without proving its safety is reckless in the extreme, as the millimeter waves are known to have a profound effect on all parts of the human body.

There is more tinnitus than ever and it's going to get worse. EMF scientists have petitioned the UN and WHO to call for a stop to the proliferation of wireless technology which although we can't consciously hear it makes sounds that can damage ears as well as interfere with cardiac rhythms, affect brain chemicals & hormones and even damage DNA (think birth defects & cancer). 

U.N. Environment Programme Urged to Protect Nature and
Humankind from Electromagnetic Fields (EMF): 4G/5G antenna densification is escalating health risks - a global crisis

Contributor

What can WE as citizens do about this??  I am a tinnitus sufferer for years 

0 Kudos
Contributor

My audiologist ordered special hearings aids that make a different level white noise and they have had great response to the use of them.  Of course at night is going to be difficult for me since then audiologist ordered me as rechargeable so I am not putting new batteries in daily.  I won't miss the newscaster monotone voices in heat nor will I miss the his is that even though I know its not real it try to lake words to match the tempo and rhythm 

0 Kudos

I have had tinnitus for several years. I have to sleep with a fan to drown out the ringing. Sometimes when it gets really bad, my doctor gives me a prescription to help. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@sb84035959 wrote:

I have had tinnitus for several years. I have to sleep with a fan to drown out the ringing. Sometimes when it gets really bad, my doctor gives me a prescription to help. 

Hi, @sb84035959 !

I suffered tinnitus for 2 decades at least. What is your doctor prescribing? Is it for tinnitus or to sleep?

Thanks in advance!

#StaySafe

#WearAMask

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My doctor gave me a prescription that helps me sleep thru the noise of tinnitus. I am following (otonomy 313). It is a company in trials for tinnitus. First part of trial was successful. What a miracle that would be to have quiet.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have tinnitus really had, especially in my left ear.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I do and for a very long time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have had tinnitus for at least 2 years.  I am fortunate to not let it bother me too much. When trying to sleep I make myself believe that it's just the noise of quietness (if that makes sense).  Every now and then  a single high pitch will interfere with the regular ringing, but it subsides within a few seconds.  I'm not sure how this happened, but I have come to the realization that it's not going to go away so I just learn to live with it.  I don't think I have any significant hearing loss so I just "keep it movin'" and continue with my life with tinnitus as part of it..  However, if there ever becomes a cure, I will be among the first in line (if it's not too expensive).

I have had tinnitus for about 30 yrs. In the beginning it sounded like the electricity generator. Like a high whine, Now it's more like white noise but will still get loud enough it overlaps speech. I have hearing loss that seems to have advanced with the volume of the tinnitus.

The sound lately is usually like white noise but some times seems to be like the sounds the audiologist used at my hearing test. High or medium tones. Occasionally my ear goes 'dead'. No sound at all. I seem to not be able to hear low male voices even with my hearing aids. sigh

My daughter has been having hearing issues for the last ten years. We were told some of our hearing issues can be hereditary.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello. Just read your concerns about Tinnitus.  I now have it 8 days (Apr 😎 after the 2nd COVID (Mar 30) Pfizer Vaccine.  Not sure it this is directly related but I have read others  who have Tinnitus seems to think so.  The doctors seem baffled and my doctor ENT said he will see me in one year and turned me over to the audiologist.  Things that help me:  I downloaded white noise sounds to my Ipad and lay it by my head when I go to bed. This seems to help me (Pink Noise works best for me). Hopefully this will not destroy my hearing (you can adjust the sound).  Lipo- Flavonoids seem to help but may be just a placebo, but I will take what ever I can get. My audiologist has tinnitus and wears a hearing aid that has a masker of white noise and connects  via her cell phone. I haven't got there yet but am  looking into it. I know it is pricey though. Medicare and Medical supplements do not seem to cover this. However, I read that if your doctor submits a paper to Medicare and the insurance that it is a medical necessity, they may help- that would be great. The hearing aid with maskers may be good during the day, but what at night?  The Ipad for now seems to work for me -but it isn't perfect but much more tolerable.  I read there are ear buds (IQ2 seems more affordable but not sure if they really work. They seem to advertise they are very helpful. I would like the doctor and the audiologist inputs before I buy them.  But you could probably use them at night while you sleep-not sure yet.  There was a study from the University of Iowa I believe, that said the problem seems to be more related to the temporal lobe of the brain that connects with the hearing network, And that breaking the cycle-to have the brain stop sending the auditory signals which seem to cause the Tinnitus seems to help-Not sure about all this even though it would be great. How to break the cycle perhaps the University has some information on this, My ENT doctor did not address this at all. He just told me this is not fixable, go to the audiologist and I will see you in a year.  Little hopefulness there. My primary doctor's PA and an ER doctor put me on Hydroxyzine to help keep me calm and help me sleep, this really seems to help me. I do not like taking a lot of meds, I am an old Vet with a bunch of medical problems and surgeries and have been on meds for so long-I just hate taking them any longer. I don't know how you manage with having this terrible problem for so long. I have read Tinnitus can also make you go deaf and that it may also be from getting older-the ear bones stiffen or something like that. I would stay with getting the ear examinations at least once a year or when your doctor recommends. Finally, removal of wax via your primary doctor may also help-it helped me with the right ear a bit. I am sure you have been through the whole route. I would be interested to know what helps you. Frankly, in my opinion, the doctors don't seem to know.  Finally, a friend who also has this gets CBD and says it really helps. But what I read, the jury is still out and CBD can make it worse-Lord knows we don't want that. I would discuss this with your   doctor, I will speak with my doctor next year about this. Sorry for being so long, but I have spent a lot of time researching this and in the doctors office with little benefit. Anyone else have information--I am all EARS!!!!  Walter R

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you, Walter, for sharing your experience.  I got the same response as you from my ENT—that there is no cure for tinnitus.  The very expensive hearing aids for both ears did not solve the problem.  Of note, the tinnitus is only in the ear that I have hearing loss in.  (I don’t even wear the hearing aids because they are ineffective in the high-noise environments that are the most challenging!) 

On a more hopeful note, I barely notice the tinnitus anymore.  It no longer disturbs my sleep, and not because my hearing loss has become worse—it has not.  I think I have simply become acclimated to it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yay!  It's not just me.  I feel exactly the same way and have had tinnitus for about the same amount of time.  Your symptoms, experience, and opionion are the same as mine--especially if there is a cure.  I'm retired, but I'll try to find a job to pay for it if I have to😊.

Periodic Contributor

I am watching Otonomy 313 - it is in trials for tinnitus and just completed first half. Company will have more news in July. Hopefully they will find a cure. It took me 1 1/2 years and therapy to learn to live with it. also have meds for nighttime sleep. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

And how do they work for your Tinnitus?  

Do not all the noises simply (RATHER!) Get Even Louder? 

Curious and Thanks for your time,

Susan / anonymousmom@live.com

0 Kudos

Spoiler
Yes, I suffer from Tinnitus.  It seems sometimes I’m okay. And other times can’t ignore it.  Have had it for a loNV time now. Wish it would go away - but instead it gets worse.  
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have had tinnitus for five or more years.  It occurred along with hearing loss in that ear.  Hearing aids tone it down some, but not totally.  Some days it is louder than others, and the louder days seem to coincide with the worst days of sinus allergies, perhaps due to fluid build-up in eustachian tubes? 

My ENT says nothing can be done to get rid of tinnitus.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health