Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?  What is your experience, discuss with others here!

AARPTeri
Contributor

What can WE as citizens do about this??  I am a tinnitus sufferer for years 

0 Kudos
Contributor

My audiologist ordered special hearings aids that make a different level white noise and they have had great response to the use of them.  Of course at night is going to be difficult for me since then audiologist ordered me as rechargeable so I am not putting new batteries in daily.  I won't miss the newscaster monotone voices in heat nor will I miss the his is that even though I know its not real it try to lake words to match the tempo and rhythm 

0 Kudos

I have had tinnitus for several years. I have to sleep with a fan to drown out the ringing. Sometimes when it gets really bad, my doctor gives me a prescription to help. 

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@sb84035959 wrote:

I have had tinnitus for several years. I have to sleep with a fan to drown out the ringing. Sometimes when it gets really bad, my doctor gives me a prescription to help. 

Hi, @sb84035959 !

I suffered tinnitus for 2 decades at least. What is your doctor prescribing? Is it for tinnitus or to sleep?

Thanks in advance!

#StaySafe

#WearAMask

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My doctor gave me a prescription that helps me sleep thru the noise of tinnitus. I am following (otonomy 313). It is a company in trials for tinnitus. First part of trial was successful. What a miracle that would be to have quiet.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have tinnitus really had, especially in my left ear.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I do and for a very long time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have had tinnitus for at least 2 years.  I am fortunate to not let it bother me too much. When trying to sleep I make myself believe that it's just the noise of quietness (if that makes sense).  Every now and then  a single high pitch will interfere with the regular ringing, but it subsides within a few seconds.  I'm not sure how this happened, but I have come to the realization that it's not going to go away so I just learn to live with it.  I don't think I have any significant hearing loss so I just "keep it movin'" and continue with my life with tinnitus as part of it..  However, if there ever becomes a cure, I will be among the first in line (if it's not too expensive).

I have had tinnitus for about 30 yrs. In the beginning it sounded like the electricity generator. Like a high whine, Now it's more like white noise but will still get loud enough it overlaps speech. I have hearing loss that seems to have advanced with the volume of the tinnitus.

The sound lately is usually like white noise but some times seems to be like the sounds the audiologist used at my hearing test. High or medium tones. Occasionally my ear goes 'dead'. No sound at all. I seem to not be able to hear low male voices even with my hearing aids. sigh

My daughter has been having hearing issues for the last ten years. We were told some of our hearing issues can be hereditary.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello. Just read your concerns about Tinnitus.  I now have it 8 days (Apr ๐Ÿ˜Ž after the 2nd COVID (Mar 30) Pfizer Vaccine.  Not sure it this is directly related but I have read others  who have Tinnitus seems to think so.  The doctors seem baffled and my doctor ENT said he will see me in one year and turned me over to the audiologist.  Things that help me:  I downloaded white noise sounds to my Ipad and lay it by my head when I go to bed. This seems to help me (Pink Noise works best for me). Hopefully this will not destroy my hearing (you can adjust the sound).  Lipo- Flavonoids seem to help but may be just a placebo, but I will take what ever I can get. My audiologist has tinnitus and wears a hearing aid that has a masker of white noise and connects  via her cell phone. I haven't got there yet but am  looking into it. I know it is pricey though. Medicare and Medical supplements do not seem to cover this. However, I read that if your doctor submits a paper to Medicare and the insurance that it is a medical necessity, they may help- that would be great. The hearing aid with maskers may be good during the day, but what at night?  The Ipad for now seems to work for me -but it isn't perfect but much more tolerable.  I read there are ear buds (IQ2 seems more affordable but not sure if they really work. They seem to advertise they are very helpful. I would like the doctor and the audiologist inputs before I buy them.  But you could probably use them at night while you sleep-not sure yet.  There was a study from the University of Iowa I believe, that said the problem seems to be more related to the temporal lobe of the brain that connects with the hearing network, And that breaking the cycle-to have the brain stop sending the auditory signals which seem to cause the Tinnitus seems to help-Not sure about all this even though it would be great. How to break the cycle perhaps the University has some information on this, My ENT doctor did not address this at all. He just told me this is not fixable, go to the audiologist and I will see you in a year.  Little hopefulness there. My primary doctor's PA and an ER doctor put me on Hydroxyzine to help keep me calm and help me sleep, this really seems to help me. I do not like taking a lot of meds, I am an old Vet with a bunch of medical problems and surgeries and have been on meds for so long-I just hate taking them any longer. I don't know how you manage with having this terrible problem for so long. I have read Tinnitus can also make you go deaf and that it may also be from getting older-the ear bones stiffen or something like that. I would stay with getting the ear examinations at least once a year or when your doctor recommends. Finally, removal of wax via your primary doctor may also help-it helped me with the right ear a bit. I am sure you have been through the whole route. I would be interested to know what helps you. Frankly, in my opinion, the doctors don't seem to know.  Finally, a friend who also has this gets CBD and says it really helps. But what I read, the jury is still out and CBD can make it worse-Lord knows we don't want that. I would discuss this with your   doctor, I will speak with my doctor next year about this. Sorry for being so long, but I have spent a lot of time researching this and in the doctors office with little benefit. Anyone else have information--I am all EARS!!!!  Walter R

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thank you, Walter, for sharing your experience.  I got the same response as you from my ENTโ€”that there is no cure for tinnitus.  The very expensive hearing aids for both ears did not solve the problem.  Of note, the tinnitus is only in the ear that I have hearing loss in.  (I donโ€™t even wear the hearing aids because they are ineffective in the high-noise environments that are the most challenging!) 

On a more hopeful note, I barely notice the tinnitus anymore.  It no longer disturbs my sleep, and not because my hearing loss has become worseโ€”it has not.  I think I have simply become acclimated to it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yay!  It's not just me.  I feel exactly the same way and have had tinnitus for about the same amount of time.  Your symptoms, experience, and opionion are the same as mine--especially if there is a cure.  I'm retired, but I'll try to find a job to pay for it if I have to๐Ÿ˜Š.

Regular Contributor

I am watching Otonomy 313 - it is in trials for tinnitus and just completed first half. Company will have more news in July. Hopefully they will find a cure. It took me 1 1/2 years and therapy to learn to live with it. also have meds for nighttime sleep. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

And how do they work for your Tinnitus?  

Do not all the noises simply (RATHER!) Get Even Louder? 

Curious and Thanks for your time,

Susan / anonymousmom@live.com

0 Kudos

Spoiler
Yes, I suffer from Tinnitus.  It seems sometimes Iโ€™m okay. And other times canโ€™t ignore it.  Have had it for a loNV time now. Wish it would go away - but instead it gets worse.  
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have had tinnitus for five or more years.  It occurred along with hearing loss in that ear.  Hearing aids tone it down some, but not totally.  Some days it is louder than others, and the louder days seem to coincide with the worst days of sinus allergies, perhaps due to fluid build-up in eustachian tubes? 

My ENT says nothing can be done to get rid of tinnitus.

Contributor

Any scuba divers out there you might want to take it up at least for temporary relief, my brother has tennitis and noticed it go away temporarily during and for a short time after diving.I am an open water nitrox diver and know that you can't dive with a blocked estution tube its painful to try, but diving can open the tube(please excuse spelling stupid spell check keeps changing words)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I've had tinnitus since 1995.  I had brain cancer and the radiation after the surgery caused severe damage to my aural nerves, so I have profound hearing loss and severe tinnitus.  I'm stuck with it until they figure out how to repair nerves.  I could have died from brain cancer, so I'm OK with it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have suffered for many years and have total hearing loss in one ear and tinnitus in both. Nothing I have tried helps.

0 Kudos
Contributor

have a whole in right ear have alot of ringing dr said i need ampliyer and  medicaid dont cover it because it was a birth defect, i want to learn sign language but don't have a car to go anywhere or maoney to buy a car i am a widow and funds are limit, 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sherri, if you can find an elder advocacy organization in your area, such as Council on Aging, or AGE, maybe they can find help for you on getting the hearing device and help you need.  Best wishes.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SherriR896865 wrote:

have a whole in right ear have alot of ringing dr said i need ampliyer and  medicaid dont cover it because it was a birth defect, i want to learn sign language but don't have a car to go anywhere or maoney to buy a car i am a widow and funds are limit, 

Medicaid coverage for hearing loss problems depends on your age and the state which you have Medicaid coverage.

Hearing Loss Association of America: Medicaid 

If you are already on Medicare and have Medicaid as 2nd coverage - the rules of Medicare rule.

Medicare.gov - Hearing and Balance exams 

Medicare.gov - Hearing Aids 

However, if you only need amplification, there maybe some help coming soon -

AARP 05/06/2019 - Congress Approves Over-the-Counter Hearing Aids  

Sign language is great if you are surrounded by people who know how to communicate that way - otherwise, not so much.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

I have a.severe hearing loss in both ears, have been to audiologist that simply recommend hearing aids for me. My quality of life is very poor. I don't enjoy anything anymore, don't talk to people, I have isolated myself do to my hearing loss. It is very stressful with my family, I can not afford hearing aids, it is ridiculous the prices. What can I do ? Can anyone help me? I can't hear and my life is miserable because of it. Can you help? Maybe you can put me in the right direction where I can get affordable hearing aids? Thank you

0 Kudos
Contributor

Harbor Freight has hearing aids for around $10 although I don't think they're allowed to call them hearing aids but they have the piece that plugs into the ear and the part that rests over and behind the ear they amplify well and are battery operated, you can't tell by looking at them that they aren't hearing aids.

0 Kudos

I sure hope you were able to get help.  I see the date of this post is over a year.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Write to Sharkey with your situation that makes hearing aids out of reach,  they do have a foundation that may be able to help you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Where are you?  I use Advanced Hearing Aid Centers and I wear one of their hearing aids that really help me.   They're on Central Ave in Albany, NY.   Another thing I have found is to use masking noise, like a radio.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am in Florida. Have been to ENT doctor. I have hearing aids that are also maskers. When the noise gets extra loud I use them and I have  a medication for night time sleep. Just had 2 quiet days which was awesome. Watching the 2 trials for cures that are in progress. Otherwise just trying to habituate to the sound by mostly keeping busy.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP