Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?  What is your experience, discuss with others here!

AARPTeri

I have audio hallcinations. Music, talking, mine is usually Big Band music. I also have slamming noises and people speaking or yelling directly next to me, as well as caling my name as I fall asleep. Its during the sleep phase that is used for hypnosis.  I have had all of this for decades. I have a rare neurological disorder called Ideopathic Hypersomnia, a sleep disorder that loves to throw everything but the kitchen sink into the game. I also have chronic migraine disease, seems to run in my family.  I only developed Tinnitus a couple of years ago as a side effect of Bupropion, aka Wellbutrin SR. This, like the seizure medications, and the Narcolepsy meds, is often used for off label treatment of various conditions, including neuro pain. Stopping the Buprophion did not stop the Tinnitus, unfortunately. I am at the point where I need to have my hearing checked, but I wonder if it is actually my hearing that is going, or just that the noise in my brain, not my ears, is simply too loud to let me hear past it.

I would like to say though, that I'm not only offended, but deeply Annoyed that a few posters have minimalized this and told people to just suck it up. (not referring to the post I'm replying to). Lucky for you, the noise isn't as loud as it is for many of us, at least not yet. Don't judge others by what is happening to you. You do not know their pain. A little kindness and empathy goes a long way, especially when the Medical field tells you that they really do not know what to do.   

Periodic Contributor

Oh, yes.  I've had severe tinnitus since 1995.  I had brain cancer and the radiation therapy afterwards damaged my aural nerves.  I use blocking noise, like a radio.

0 Kudos

My good friend suffers from the same as you. She hears Christmas music non stop. It is terrible!! Been to a neurologist and they haven't helped her. I just read an article in the AATSP magazine about a new therapy called: Night Time Sound therapy. Trying to get more info, but can't seem to find it here!!
0 Kudos

Yes - that's what the Doctor says it is.  H hear ringing in my ears all of the time and have for several years.  It is bad all of the time, so much so that I do not hear as well as I have in the past (or cannot decipher sounds as well)  I always, ALWAYS, hear the ringing.

Contributor

My Grandmother had tinnitus, but it was mostly nosie in her ears or head.  I've been getting music, only music, like a band playing the same tune over and over.  It's isn't bad, but it is annoying.  I never connected it with epilepsy. I don't know much about epilepsy, but I thought that was related more to mobility issues, not hearing. 

I have hearing aids that work well for understanding speech. I don't wear them regularly, but I still "hear" that repetitious music playing in the background.  My Grandmother wasn't able to wear hearing aids because they magnified the noises she heard from the tinnitis. 

I was recently diagnosed with tinnitus and hearing loss.  There doesn't seem to be enough support groups for tinnitus.  

Regular Contributor

I see you posted your comment about support groups back in 2016.  Maybe there were fewer posters to this site then, but now, in February of 2021, I would say this AARP forum is a support group!  I have seen much support and some interesting ideas about tinnitus here.

Periodic Contributor

I used to belong to a Meniere's Disease forum, where you can discuss tinnitus and possible solutions, but haven't gone on it in a long time, so I don't know if it is still around.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I did try to find zoom or online support group but found none 

0 Kudos

Also no one can afford hearing aids.  The cost is prohibitive.

Regular Contributor

You are right about the prohibitive cost of hearing aids.  Hearing is a vital sense, one that keeps us safe and ensures quality of life.  Medicare should cover the entire cost of hearing aids, as should Medicaid for those who qualify for it prior to age 65.  Make noise:  call your State and Federal representatives!

Regular Contributor

Tru Hearing I believe it’s thru Medicare. I didn’t go tho. Because hearing aids haven’t helped. Good luck 🍀 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

1. I believe that Tru Hearing is the brand name of the new hearing aids I just got through my Humana Medicare Advantage insurance. I only paid $199 for each hearing aid!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I've been told I have hearing loss after several tests and last year I purchased a pair of hearing aids for both ears.  I also have tinnitis but feel it has gotten worse since I've started wearing them.  Don't know if that's the cause though.   

What I hear is something like the wind and sometimes it sounds louder than other times. Getting back to those hearing aids, which I'm still trying to get used to. They do cost a pretty penny but I feel I could've gotten the same thing for a much less price than what I paid.  They usually range in price from 1500 dollars each.  

Lillian Mercado
0 Kudos
Contributor

Some Sam's Club stores have Hearing Centers.  They have many different styles of hearing aids and personal sound amplifiers at a fraction of the cost of going to a hearing center.  They do the testing there too.

My tinnitus has become so bad, that I am finally going to get a hearing aid or a personal sound amplifier.  My doctor said I would know when it was time, when I couldn't understand what people are saying to me (when in a crowd) that it affects my daily life and work.  My family is telling me it's time.  It's not that I didn't want one, but I didn't have $4,000-$5,000 for a pair.

I am definitely go to Sam's Club to see about their service, now that they are much more affordable than before!

Also, an interesting article....https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2017/hearing-aid-no-prescriptions-legislation-fd...

0 Kudos
Contributor

FYI....In addition to comment below:

Veterans are provided free hearing aids....contact your local VA office.

Financial assistance may be available to you through many different programs listed here:  

http://www.betterhearing.org/sites/default/files/hearingpedia-resources/Financial_Assistance_for_Hea...

0 Kudos

I have noise problem only in my left ear when " I lie down to  go to sleep " when I have the airconditioner or ceiling fan ON.  During the day I have No Problem when I am working or moving around and the wind does not bother my left ear.

0 Kudos

Yes!!! Drives me nuts and has gotten worse. Went to ent doc and basically said to ignore and play music that silence is not my friend. Welcome any ideas please

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have had tinnitus for 1 1/2 years. When it started, I didn't sleep for almost 3 weeks because of the high pitch sound, and wound up in the hospital. ENT could not do anything. Went to audiologist who fitted me with maskers (hearing aids that you can choose sounds, music, nature noises etc. with your phone or Ipad. So with that and behavioral counseling and antidepressants have been able to tolerate it. I am now having more quiet days. Have to stay busy. No magic cure. There are trials going on so hopefully they can find a cure. 

Info Seeker

My heart goes out to you. Keep your hopes up for a cure. I've have had tinnitus for over 30 years, been duped many times that there is help. There is not. I have prayed so many times for relief. I still believe God is the only cure except for death. Sounds gruesome the death part. But there is good news, I'm 80 years old and I go several weeks at a time and don't even know that I have tinnitus. Just don't think about it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JosephF474840 

I am not far behind you in length of having it (or in age) - It has gotten worse for me in the last couple of years before that I managed it .  Only in one ear - now new and different sounds have emerged periodically  - volume of it has also increased.

Sometimes it is just this side of madness - 

I am thinking about seeing if I can get the various sounds of it synthesized and then record it so that it can be CONTINUOUSLY piped in to every health care and research facility office in the world for all to hear what we hear.

I have tried everything - conventional and unconventional - I feel it is us sufferers who are descending into the abyss.  

It is maddening - 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

God is the answer!  Stay strong, I know how it is.  Many blessings.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP