You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you know anyone with Diabetes?

Message 1 of 15

Most people don't know the difference between type 1 and type 2. But both versions are expensive and have potentially deadly outcomes. There is a glimmer of hope for an inexpensive cure for Type 1 coming out of the lab of Dr. Faustman of Mass. General Hosp. She has been struggling to get funding - the drug companies won't fund because a cure would eliminate the sales of pumps, insulin, insulin analogs, test strips, meters to about 22 million people around the world. Worldwide there are about 400 million people with Type 2, which is why it gets so much more publicity. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

I was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, now known as Type1 diabetes 44 years ago. Much of the public has no idea what a Type 1 diabetic's challenges are because Type 2 diabetes is receiving the majority of media coverage. More support for Type 1 diabetics needs to exist because we have no choice but to fight this disease 24/7.  Yes, we need to eat well and exercise, but we have no chance of eliminating or reversing this type of diabetes. The excessively high cost for insulin, pumps, infusion sets, reserviors, blood glucose monitors and test strips are as essential to survival as food and water for any human.  Add to that dealing with and paying for complications associated with Type 1 diabetes can be overwhelming such as cardiac, vascular, visual, kidney, etc.  For some of us, this disease has robbed us of the ability to be employed. To date, we are under served at least in part because we are a minority.  I hope someone who has some "pull" will put Type 1 diabetics on a priority list for support in services of all kinds.  We need it to supplement our never ending efforts to survive and thrive. We have the right to live as full and actively as possible.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

I have Type 1 since age 55 (a real life changer!). My brother is type II. I was fortunate that when I displayed symptoms, I was employed and had really great ins which covered getting a pump and CGM. Now on Medicare and while the pump supplies, lancets, test strips and insulin are covered, CGM is not (at least not the brand that talks to my pump). However, I have discovered that there are often good deals on current dated CGM's on Ebay (you have to troll it often as Ebay will remove those listings when they become aware of them). So far I have been able to keep myself supplied with affordable CGM's. Every now and then an Amazon seller will also have CGM listed. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

Yes, I agree Type 1 is a 24-hour job. Sometimes I have to disagree with my endo and sometimes they are extremely helpful. I went back on the pump in August of 2017 and was uploading my data to a Medtronic nurse educator. She was adjusting my insulin for me on a weekly basis, sometimes more. I have to go back to monitoring my fluctuations more myself, as I am losing touch with my control. I have to find ways to keep it simple and not make adjusting basal rates so complex. My former endo shared that, ideally, I should be taking about the same amount of basal per day as bolus. That has worked for me in the past. Thanks everyone for sharing. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

I have had Type 1 for 41 years and my daughter was diagnosed as a Type 1 at age 4. She is now 30. It is helpful to have a good endo but in order to know type 1 you have to be a type 1 and live it every day. It is a 7x24 job if you want to be in good control.

If there are any senior type 1's out there let me know. We can exchange our stories and hopefully learn something.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

I have lived with type 1 diabetes (taking insulin) for 46+ years. I have seen many changes for the better over those years such as home blood testing, insulin pumps, constant glucose monitoring (if you can afford it), much smaller needles, etc.   In order to live with diabetes you MUST take responsibility for your control and health.  Doctors don't live with it every minute of their lives.  They only understand what the books tell them, not how life actually is with diabetes.  I do what I want and eat what I want in moderation but I test, test, test and count carbs.  My A1C has been between 6.2 and 6.8 for the last 20 years.  I only depend on Doctors for tests and the rare occurrence when I need some advice, and often the Doctors can't answer my questions.  They are especially baffled when my sugar goes high for a week with no signs of infection, no changes in eating habits and no changes in insulin except for increasing insulin to try and counter the higher sugars.  I finally quit seeing my endocrinologist several years ago because I felt I wasn't getting any help or advice from my visits and it was costing a lot of money.  My GP checks my A1C every 6 months and if I ever need advice or help he is there to help me.  3 years ago when I had heart surgery the doctors took my pump and were going to control my sugar.  After 3 days of being over 400 my heart doctor threw up his hands and told the nurses to give me my pump back and see what I could do.  Within 12 hours my sugar was under control and remained so for the remainder of my hospital stay.  Remember YOU know your body better than any doctor can and if you are willing to learn about diabetes you can control it but also remember it is a 24/7 job.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

find a plant based endocrinologist. The ACE (American College of Endocrinology) has recently endorsed the plant-based diet, but most are not up on the research. Through the American College of Lifestyle Medicine (www.lifestylemedicine.org)  or www.plantbaseddoctors.org - you may be able to find a plant-based endocrinologist in your area. If not, you may just have to educate your current doctor - refer them to the ACE endorsement.

Rogier F. van Vlissingen
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15
Hi. Thanks for your share. I too have had Type 1 diabetes for 30 years. Recently, I moved and have had to establish a relationship with a new endocrinologist, which has not been going swimmingly. I can never truly predict and control my blood sugars, even though there are alot of tools to work with. Staying positive helps.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

While the greatest progress with the plant-based diet concerns type II, which in many  cases can be reversed completely, there are more and more reports on type I.

You may refer to Dr. Neal Barnard's latest book: Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes.

It is my understanding that in many, if not most cases significant improvement is within reach, even with Type I.

see also here:

https://www.forksoverknives.com/type-1-diabetes-vegan-diet/#gs.9Gd3f4c

https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/plant-based-diet-makeover-lindsay/

http://www.diabetesdailygrind.com/type1vegandiet/

and finally:

Type 1 Diabetes and Diet

Diet can help to reduce the amount of insulin needed and reduce the risk of complications in people with type 1 diabetes, a condition where the body stops making insulin and frequent injections or an insulin pump is required. For more information, visit PCRM.org/Type1Diabetes. Some research suggests that cow’s milk may increase the risk of developing type 1 diabetes.5 For this reason, among others, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the avoidance of commercially available cow’s milk during the first year of life. Breast-feeding mothers may do well to avoid cow’s milk, until more research is completed.

unquote - from http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/diet-and-diabetes-recipes-for-success

Rogier F. van Vlissingen
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

I've had Type 1 diabetes for 30 years. Was diagnosed as brittle at age 30. It was a struggle for over 10 years, then I was lucky enough to have insurance through an employer to get a pump. I had it for 8 years without a single problem. Then the employer changed insurance and of course they wouldn't cover the supplies, so I went back to shots 3+ times a day which I still do. I have been taking shots for about 14 years now and I just telll myself that I am a very lucky person. I could have hbeen diagnosed with a cancer but wasn't. I cannot control this everyday, I have really bad ones as I get older, but I am alive and do NOT let diabetes CONTROL my life which alot of people decide to do when they are diagnosed. My A1C is acceptable, by no means great, I have NO signs of retinopathy. But, I do NOT feel sorry for myself which I think is a big downfall for alot of people with diabetes.

Kudos
Views