If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Diabetes II and diet

Message 1 of 1

AARP just ran an article about diet and diabetes. In 2008, I contracted a severe viral illness, (possibly bird flue) was hospitalized a months later and was then diagnosed with diabetes II. During the next six months I worked with my physician to reduce my hemoglobin A1C from 11.8 to 6.2; initially with medication and then with diet. Today, I control my diabetes II with diet only.

The trick is to avoid all sugar and most starches. No bread, no rice, no potatoes. High fiber vegetables and lots of protein and fat. Yes fat! Fat by itself, is very difficult to digest. Fat mixed with a high carbohydrate intake is disastrous as body fat results strictly from excess carbohydrate intake, not dietary fat. Initially, I limited my carbohydrate intake to 3 g per day with a high fat and protein intake. That type of diet, essentially a starvation diet, will drop your body weight like a rock and drop you blood sugar levels as your body switches from sugars to ketones for energy. (your brain actually preferes ketones over glucose) Most people cannot maintain this type of diet for more than three months because the high fat intake without carbs results in diarrhea. Today, I limit my carbohydrate intake to less than 20 g per day. Still no sugar and little starches. AND ABOLUTELY NO BEER!  But one drink of distilled liquor per day helps keep the sugar down.  More than three per day kills the liver and drives your sugar up.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies