Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: DEATH - We Will All Experience It !

Message 1 of 7

@nyadrn wrote:

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. However I wouldn't depend on anything in that pocket going anywhere, when it's "time is of the essence" for first responders, and they can't stick around after dropping patients at the hospital, to explain paperwork.

I have a friend who's a long-time EMT, so I think I'll ask her if she's ever heard of it.

Well I got it from my son who is a first responder.  They use them here not sure about other places.  I am lucky in that he is my emergency contact. 

You are sooo right about that!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. However I wouldn't depend on anything in that pocket going anywhere, when it's "time is of the essence" for first responders, and they can't stick around after dropping patients at the hospital, to explain paperwork.

I have a friend who's a long-time EMT, so I think I'll ask her if she's ever heard of it.

Well I got it from my son who is a first responder.  They use them here not sure about other places.  I am lucky in that he is my emergency contact. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@ASTRAEA wrote:

One of the most important concepts was in the 1st paragraph, about respecting the individual's wishes! Too often a person is rushed to an emergency room that doesn't have a copy of their Living Will, family members don't think to bring it with them at all times, and the facility itself refuses to follow certain requests.

When I participated in a caregivers support group, one of the other women's husband was at a VA hospital/nursing home, with severe Alzheimer's. He decided to stop eating, and it was documented, but one of the staff members would bring food & cajole him to "eat just a little," making the man very aggitated. When the wife found out & spoke to the manager, that staff member was talked to & reassigned. The husband died peacefully within a short time.

Astraea

Are you familiar with the "File of life"?  It is a magnetic plastic pocket that goes on the front of your refrigerator.  It contains all of the medical information you have completed and is picked up by any Emergency First Responders that may have to come for a medical emergency.  I wonder if adding the info about the confact info for your living will etc would work?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

We lost my best friend and brother-in-law last July.

The pain is still so incredible.

But we know loss plans now:

My plan (for your consideration):

body to science (search google)

ashes from body to science to diamonds (again, search google)

Best!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

One of the most important concepts was in the 1st paragraph, about respecting the individual's wishes! Too often a person is rushed to an emergency room that doesn't have a copy of their Living Will, family members don't think to bring it with them at all times, and the facility itself refuses to follow certain requests.

When I participated in a caregivers support group, one of the other women's husband was at a VA hospital/nursing home, with severe Alzheimer's. He decided to stop eating, and it was documented, but one of the staff members would bring food & cajole him to "eat just a little," making the man very aggitated. When the wife found out & spoke to the manager, that staff member was talked to & reassigned. The husband died peacefully within a short time.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

DEATH - We Will All Experience It !

Message 7 of 7

Thought this subject title would rouse some curiousity to read this opinion piece on how to improve end of life.

STAT News 02/24/2017 - Five Ways To Improve Care At The End Of Life

This piece is by Kathleen G. Sebelius who was the Secretary of Health and Human Services from 2009 to 2014 and Tommy G. Thompson who was the Secretary of Health and Human Services from 2001 to 2005. They are co-chairs of the Aspen Health Strategy Group where this subject was discussed.

You can read the details of each of these (5) things at the link above -

1.  Emphasize planning for the inevitable.

2.  Refine Medicare coverage. 

3.  Measure the effectiveness of end-of-life care.

4.  Train more clinicians in palliative care

5.  Get community input on better models of care.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies