AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Color changing tattoo to monitor helath

Message 81 of 89

My first reaction was, "NO!"  Then I thought about it.  With the probable change to seniors health insurance availablity, I think daily monitoring would be a safety measure, useful when trips to the doctor for minor concerns would be unavailable. So, yes.  I would do it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 82 of 89

I like the idea. In addition to self-monitoring, first responders would know what's going on right away. The downside for me would be the inevitability of my husband glimpsing my off-color tatt and saying, "No cake for you."

Info Seeker

Message 83 of 89

Reminds me of the mood ring I wore in the 70s. I am not aversed to tattoos and would consider it if I had a condition that required frequent monitoring. Fortunately I do not. If this worked for blood sugar moitoring I think my friends that carry around test kits would go for the tattoo.

Info Seeker

Message 84 of 89

Sure, I would get one.  I don't care if it is noticed by other people or employers.  

Silver Conversationalist

Message 85 of 89

No,I don't need this to monitor my health.Sounds like some intrusive govt nonsense,like Democrats would favor.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 86 of 89

AARPTeri wrote:

Would you consider getting a tattoo that would monitor your health?  MIT researchers have come up with new technology that monitors dehydration, blood sugar and more.

I have seen several articles on this subject and yes I would have one.. but others might wonder if an employer would notice etc.. ie too much info.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/color-changing-tattoos-aim-to-monitor-blood-sugar-other-health-stats/

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 87 of 89

This sounds like something out of a Star Trek episode. The rapid innovation in biotechnology science is promising.

They don’t use tattoo ink instead they use a special biosensing ink that changes color due to the fluid in your tissues. This is a great article.

http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2017/color-changing-tattoos-health-monitoring-...

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 88 of 89

From what I've just seen, this isn't a tiny, unobtrusive Medical Tattoo, that would always be covered with clothing. I'd like to know what kind of "chemicals" they use in the tatto, and what side effects they might have!

I already have a tattoo/implant marking spots where the my breast cancer showed up, and then to align the machine when I got radiation treatment.

I'd skip any other medical markings & invasive treatments, if at all possible.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Community Manager

Color changing tattoo to monitor helath

Message 89 of 89

Would you consider getting a tattoo that would monitor your health?  MIT researchers have come up with new technology that monitors dehydration, blood sugar and more.

AARPTeri