Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Conversationalist

Re: COPD

Message 11 of 32
I HAVE A PULMONOLOGIST. I WILL CHECK OUT A PULMONARY GROUP.THANKS
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 32

Hello. As with COPD, he should seek out a Pulmonary (lung) MD for this disease. Ask for physician that specializes in this diagnosis. If he's been diagnosed already, then it seems like he has started the process. There are new drugs being released just for this affliction. Pulmonary rehab could also help manage symptoms. Good luck to your brother.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 13 of 32
I have been having C.O.P.D since late 90' . I use to smoke a pack a day and chainsmoke . Then I stop smoking cigarettes it was very hard and have cold turkey. I have friends that didn't smoke help me with all cold turkey and nervous paving back and forth. I'm very glad that they were there for me. I still have to take my medicine and. And also I go to my.C.O.P.D confer meeting every November right before thanksgiving. I learn so much how take care my breathing and myself. I love it
Conversationalist

Message 14 of 32
Pulmonary classes are usually given by a local hospital; Google your hospitals and check with your pulmonologist. They usually have the info. They attempt to teach you how to breathe with an ailment and if you have been prescribed inhalers do use them.
Conversationalist

Message 15 of 32

Cany 1956.  Connect with a pulmonologist.  Look one up in your area on bing or another search engine.  I was sent to a pulmonology group at my hospital by mine.  I was diagnosed when I walked up a steep incline and had to stop to catch my breath.  I have not smoked in maybe a dozen years but had already done the damage, COPD.  I take my inhalers as prescribed and do breathing exercises.  COPD is not curable but can be brought under control and perhaps not get any worse.  Do not just ignore it.  Good luck, just do not get depressed. (-:

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 32

I have COPD but not in advanced stages.  I have been using a sea salt inhaler since December and have had extremely good results.   I use only a rescue inhaler occasionally, no other medication.

There is also a machine to use at night that you just turn on and let it run while you sleep.  It contains a salt cartridge that you replace about 3 times a year.  Check it out Salin Plus.  It is now available in the USA and worth the price.  

The inhaler is like a bong if you grew up in the 60's you know what I mean, but all you do is inhale and the air passes through the salt.  This reduces inflammation and thins mucis - again it has helped me feel like the elephant on my chest has left the building.

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 32
You can get you prescription in Canada for a lot less.
Info Seeker

Message 18 of 32

My brother has pulmonary hypertension - it is kind of rare - anybody know about it or have it and what has been done for it. 

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 32

My brother has pulmonary hypertension - it is kind of rare - anybody know about it or have it and what has been done for it. 

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 32

I have COPD and Asthma with shortness of breath upon exertion. I have had many tests to determine exactly the cause of my shortness of breath. Still more questions than answers. The latest finding that I have a hiatal hernia adds a piece to the puzzle. Symbicort is the best medicine that helps so far. If one has a low income budget the cost is highly prohibitive even with insurance. Last year AstraZeneca covered me. This year I have to spend a certain amount out of pocket to get any type of help from them. I live check to check with no savings. Symbicort is about $800 per month without coverage. I am a little worried.