Join AARP panelists live Nov. 18 for a free webinar on ride-sharing. Register now to learn more about apps like Uber and Lyft.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you a diabetic with practical advice for other diabetics?

Message 1 of 10

@jay2300 wrote:

Today my sugar averages under 110 and my A1C is 6.1.

Wrong. If your A1C is 6.1, your average blood glucose is 128.

eAG(mg/dl) = 28.7 × A1C − 46.7 = 28.7 x 6.1 - 46.7 = 128

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycated_hemoglobin#Interpretation_of_results

@jay2300 wrote:

They have cut the pills I was taking to 1 instead of 2 a day. 

What drug and dosage, pray tell?
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

I was diagnosed as diabteic on 10/23/18.  I was 65.  My sugar # was over 300 and my A1C was 12.1

Today my sugar averages under 110 and my A1C is 6.1.    They have cut the pills I was taking to 1 instead of 2 a day.  I hadn't been to a doctor on 30 years and weighed over 220lbs at 5'4".  I followed the doctors advice for what to eat - I hate vegtables and love pizza.  I gave up the pizza, bread, etc (anything thatn tastes good) and eat string beans, a pear, blueberries, unsalted peanuts and food cooked without salt.  I walk 2.3 miles every day with few exceptions.  I lost 40 lbs and went from size 44 pants  and xxl shirts to size 36 and size l shirts.  I could eat a frozen pizza right now because I still want it but I don't.  I feel 100x better and have 2x the energy.  Again, I listened to the doctor and argued with her that I could not live without pasta...but everything she told me worked.  Also, I could not have done any of this if my wife was not a saint and cooked all the right things for me and checks contents on everything we buy.   I do now and then have pasta and pizza in less amounts than I used to...and they taste great

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

I have type 1 diabetes, I have had it for 37 years, i was 12 when i got it. If you do not follow what the Dr, says you will end up with a lot of problems. I had to stop working at age 30 because I did not take care of myself. I have every thing wrong with me that diabetics cause, so I can die at any time. I wish now that I did what the Dr told me to do, because I do not know if I will be able to see, or be able to play with my grandkids when they come. Diabetes is a hard disease to live with and it is very hard to change the way you are use to doing thing. If i could change anything it would be (listen to the Dr). There are a lot of things that diabetes causes and they are not fun to have. So i hope peaple will take care of them shelves 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

Tell him, he will lose his hair, his teeth, and probably have high blood pressure which gives you strokes, some small some huge,enough to whack you off your feet anytime, anyplace and not know what happens to you.  You become weak and not stable on your feet, because the nerves in your body are intensifying.  You will need foot massages, because you won't feel your feet after awhile. The blood flow from your feet to your head becomes thicker and thicker, might need stents.  The heart has to work harder because the look is too thick.

Read this to him and if he still laughs, and says that it  won't happen to me, get yourself prepared financially, and mentally.  It's a long hard road downhill, sometimes, it's slow and some times it's fast.

If you have kids, talk with them about it and remember your the caretaker and You must Take Care of Yourself First, otherwise you might go first.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

Type 2 Diabetes can turn into Diabetes 1.  It happened to my husband.  He refused to stick to his diet and it progressed from good to horrible.  The doctor wanted him to take injections, he refused.  He said it reminded him of heroin, his younger days and said he would not do it. So, the nurse turned to me, will you do it.  I said but only for a week so he can get back on his regular pill.  The nurse smiled and said there's no going back.  I told her You are so wrong.  I injected him for a week and then he was back on pills.  So, believe it or not but YOU ARE IN CONTROL, not anybody else.

You want to change- read this book- The PH Miracle by Robert O. Young and Shelly Young-  yes, you can get off Diabetes permanently.  It's a long road but hey, You want to live longer, enjoy your life, there's so much out there- not those plague pills your taking!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

Type 2 diabetes can't turn into type 1 diabetes, since the two conditions have different causes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. It occurs when the insulin-producing islet cells in the pancreas are completely destroyed, so the body can't produce any insulin. ... However, the body is resistant to insulin.Jul 20, 2017

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

Move! Physical activity doesn't have to be viewed as punishment.  Walk the dog, walk (don't drive) to the corner store, stroll a shopping mall. Find ways you enjoy to get yourself out and about. Its not a myth that movement helps keep blood sugar in control. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

There is quite a bit of scientific evidence connecting fluoride consumption with diabetes. Fluoride is an endocrine disruptor and enzyme poison. It interferes with glucose metabolism. Fluoridation predicts an increase in age related diabetes in the population (as well as low thyroid and IBD). Most filters don't remove fluoride from water and you can absorp it into your body from using fluoridated dental products. Some medications include fluoride. 

Since diabetics drink more water and often have reduced kidney function, they are especially vulnerable to ill effects. The so called safety studies on fluoride excluded any with diabetes or kidney disease. 

In any event, I'd suggest reducing exposure to fluoride by changing water and dental products could help. Here are some studies & reports:

2016 Fluoridation increases diabetes in older folks: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27740551 

2017  Mouthwash can trigger diabetes

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1089860317301532?via%3Dihub

2017 Chilean review recommends avoiding F due to endocrine risks 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28453591 

2014 "Fluoride interferes with cellular function." 

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0106646

2011 Report to EPA from NRC scholar mentioning diabetes: http://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/thiessen.4-19-11.pdf 

2008 lab study: https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/11375/ 

1998 lab work: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9449624 

Best wishes~  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

I need some advice along these lines. My husband (age 74) was diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes. Because he doesn't feel sick, he is ignoring all the advice his doctor (and I) have given him. I try to have healthy food in the house and make meals that won't make his situation worse, but whenever he is out with his buddies, or I am not around to watch him, he eats all the wrong things. Then, at other times, he will be working out in the garage or running errands and forget to eat until he is lightheaded, and then he will grab hot links or a burger and fries. I don't think he is eating many sweets except for ice cream (3 cups worth at a time), but he loves hot dogs and sausages all of which I'm pretty sure are not good for him in the quantity he eats. He always tells me that he hasn't had any for a week. (His weeks last 1 day.) I am just afraid that his diabetes will turn into Type 1. What can I do to drive the importance of proper diet and exercise for him? Scare tactics don't work and facts about the disease don't seem to worry him. He just says he feels fine, but I know that won't last if he keeps it up. Help!!  Sandi

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are you a diabetic with practical advice for other diabetics?

Message 10 of 10

Nutrition and physical activity are important parts of a healthy lifestyle when you have diabetes.  Do you have some practical advice you can share with others?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors