Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

A Health question: A cold or an allergy attack

Conversationalist

A Health question: A cold or an allergy attack

Yesterday, my mother came over to do pills and helped me reload my pill organizer.  And she noticed my nose was dripping.  And my mouth felt funny.  And I was all shaken up.  My mom thought that I may have had a cold.  I went to the grocery store earlier yesterday on the bus.  I wonder if I inhaled some pollen or what.  A cold can go on for a week.  But I guess an allergy attack I guess can last for a day.  But I am not sure.  Today, I feel better and my nose is not running big time like it was yesterday.  So I wonder if I had an allergy attack or was a minor cold or what.  I got the COVID vaccine in January at work.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Both allergies and colds can have similar symptoms, such as a runny nose and feeling unwell, so it can be challenging to determine the exact cause without a medical evaluation.

If your symptoms improved within a day, it's possible that you experienced an allergy attack rather than a cold. Allergies can be triggered by various substances, including pollen, dust mites, or certain foods. Inhaling pollen during your visit to the grocery store could potentially have triggered an allergic reaction.

However, since the symptoms you described could also be associated with a cold, it's difficult to make a definitive diagnosis without a medical professional's assessment. Additionally, the fact that you received the COVID vaccine in January doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of getting other respiratory infections.

If your symptoms persist or worsen, it's best to consult a healthcare provider who can provide a proper evaluation and guidance based on your specific situation. They can help determine whether it was an allergy, a cold, or something else entirely and advise on the appropriate course of action.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

And, most importantly, check your temperature. Checking your temperature will also determine whether or not you can stay home, and feel better, or if it requires a doctor visit. Allergies do not cause high temperatures, as you're usually dealing with the discomfort of sinus issues, watery eyes, itchy skin, sometimes a cough, which can be remedied with over the counter allergy medicine/by taking local honey. A cold is usually indicative, and different from allergies, when your sinuses are clogged, or inflamed, you have a lump or scratchy throat, chills, feverish, disorientation, you have a persistent cough, etc... you can tell the difference between allergies and a cold. A cold usually causes a change in temperature, any temperature above 100.4 F. Also, COVID symptoms are indicative of a fever greater than 99.9F, accompanied by chills and lethargy. A sudden shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing, and lack of smell. It is still possible to contract COVID, even with immunizations. Keep in mind that studies have shown that COVID is airborne, just like influenza, and allergies. This is what all three (3) have in common, but the only difference is that you can contract influenza by touching infected surfaces. So, wash your hands often! 

All in all, and basically...check your temperature! Always have either a digital thermometer, or a mercury thermometer on hand. If your temperature is above the norm/above 100.4 F, take aspirin, use a cold washcloth on the forehead, or take an ice bath, to lower your body's temperature. If your temperature does not go below 100.4 F, you must see a doctor right away. If you experience, shortness of breath, with a high temperature and chills, any yellowish-greenish-brownish phlegm, go to the doctor right away

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP