Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Zoom and Malware

If you use zoom, you might like to read this link.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/hackers-take-advantage-of-zooms-popularity-to-push-ma...

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

Fixes for the moment with Zoom, and from Zoom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-prevent-your-zoom-meetings-being-zoom-bombed-gate-crashed-by-tr...

Unfortunately this is merely for being attacked by trolls who crash your meeting🤣.

Seems with every new exploit released you also get more than a few gotcha's like the one that allows iPhone and iPads to have their cameras turned on in local host mode, when you're not using the app.

Expecting a patch for that in the next update for Safari or Chrome or ?? 

The latest issue to popup is coming from my memory, will post link probably here, after I discover where ai read it.

And who did the proof of concept. Still need to read too many periodicals by white (good) and black (bad) hat hackers, and still really want to retire.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

Good.  I still have one kid at home.   He first was doing zoom, then the school district said no zoom, and the teachers had to scramble to make their lessons into videos to post.  I hope they go back to using zoom...

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the tip!

But no worries here mate as the video platforms I have been using for the decade or more (2) are still going strong and trouble free (knock on wood).

Smiley Very Happy

"Don't worry about the oil running out, worry about the food running out"
Professor Al Bartlett PhD (emeritus 1923-2013)
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Fixes for the moment with Zoom, and from Zoom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-prevent-your-zoom-meetings-being-zoom-bombed-gate-crashed-by-tr...

Unfortunately this is merely for being attacked by trolls who crash your meeting🤣.

Seems with every new exploit released you also get more than a few gotcha's like the one that allows iPhone and iPads to have their cameras turned on in local host mode, when you're not using the app.

Expecting a patch for that in the next update for Safari or Chrome or ?? 

The latest issue to popup is coming from my memory, will post link probably here, after I discover where ai read it.

And who did the proof of concept. Still need to read too many periodicals by white (good) and black (bad) hat hackers, and still really want to retire.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Above my pay grade -

All I want to know is if they have fixed it yet?

With so many working from home, schools with kids learning from home and many other things going on and using ZOOM - I just want to know if they are staying on top of their security and privacy issues.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

For the moment no, give it time.

New problems are popping up.

https://thehackernews.com/2020/04/zoom-windows-password.html?

and something about zoom bombing -

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490402-virtual-meeting-with-black-university-of-texas-stude...?

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

NOTHING STRANGE, OR NEW. SAME OLD STORY IDENTIFIED WITH THE DIGITAL WORLD. EXCEPT I DO NOT GET YOUR POINT.

The below, a cull from same page and link you cited. From the last paragraph.

"Zoom privacy and security issues

Zoom's online collaboration platform has gone through its own issues as of late, with the developers having to patch a vulnerability in January that could have made it possible for a threat actor to potentially identify and join active and unprotected Zoom meetings.

A few days ago, Zoom also announced that it had decided to remove the Facebook SDK (Software Development Kit) from the Zoom iOS application after it was reported by Motherboard that it collected and sent device information to Facebook's servers.

"The information collected by the Facebook SDK did not include information and activities related to meetings such as attendees, names, notes, etc., but rather included information about devices such as the mobile OS type and version, the device time zone, device OS, device model and carrier, screen size, processor cores, and disk space," Zoom said.

Last year, Zoom also had to deal with another security vulnerability (1, 2) that allowed hackers to remotely execute code on Macs where the application was uninstalled via a maliciously crafted launch URL.

A different security flaw (1, 2, 3) also patched last year would have allowed remote attackers to force Windows, Linux, and macOS users to join video calls with their video cameras forcibly activated.

MEANING THIS IS A USUAL OCCURRENCE WITH ON-LINE AND INTERNET TRANSACTIONS. IT IS AN ON-RUNNING BATTLE. INTERESTINGLY, ZOOM RECOGNIZED THE ISSUE.

There would always be RATS and RODENTS in all aspects of life. Most families have them. Some would always take advantage of others, including systems. Its is a WWW-Wild Wild World.

I wish not to be misinterpreted. I have not implied that it is a proper practice., Rather not new in this clime.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP