From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Windows 7 home, or professional

Message 1 of 14
Got my windows 7 tower. Getting everything setup at this point. The only thing left is to transfer my documents. I use Google on my tablet, so when I put Google on my new desktop all my bookmarks were there once I signed in. Did the same with Dropbox.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14
Yippie! My never ending research is done! Thank's for your knowledge, and help. My neighbor installed a DVD burner on my XP, but he has health issues.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14
Janet

It says on the description that it is a read/ write DVD, that say it does burn CDs.

Also seems to be a faster CPU so it looks good.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

Found a 64 bit with a 1 year warranty, but can I burn CD's on this tower?

• Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    3.0GHz

• 4GB DDR2 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)
    Gves you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

• 750GB SATA hard drive
    Store 500,000 photos, 214,000 songs or 395 hours of HD video and more

• DVD drive
    Watch movies and read DVDs and write CDs in multiple formats

• 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet

• Integrated GMA 4500 Graphics

Additional Features:

• 8 x USB 2.0 ports, 2 x audio-out jacks, 2 x microphone jacks, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x line-in jack, 1 x VGA port, 1 x serial communication port, 1 x parallel port
  • 1 x low profile PCI slot, 1 x PCI Express (x16) slot, 1 x external 5.25" bay, 1 x external 3.5" bay, 1 x internal 3.5" bay
  • 10.5 lbs, 10.3" x 9.9" x 3.5"

Software:

• Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, clickhere)
  • Backup and Restore options built into Windows allow you to create safety copies of your most important personal files, so you're always prepared for the worst

Support and Warranty:

• Refurbished items have a 1-year parts and labor limited warranty
  • Recovery partition on Hard Drive

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

Frozen,

I've been researching the 32 verses the 64 bit tonight, and looked at some of the towers with 64 bit. The few that I looked at came with only a 90 day warranty, but the 32 had a 1 year. 

More shopping to be done. 

I research things to death, and appreciate all the help.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

Janet

Simple answer 32 bit Operating system, your ram is maxed at 3 gb,
Recognizable definitely of the 4 FB you get.

Where your description read upgradeable to 8 Gb Ram, that is only possible with a 64bit operating system.

A dual core CPU which the Intel is, works faster with a 64bit Operating Systems like Window 7 or  Windows10 64bit.

If you go with that type of computer and CPU than I'd say 64-bit Operating System to go with a 64-bit CPU capable of upgrade beats a 32-bit operating system is maxed on memory capacity.

I hope that makes sense

If you'd like the most bang for your buck, I'd really suggest going the 64-bit Operating system, 32-bit as a weird comparison is what Win95, 98, 98SE, XP, Vista etc were predominantly. They did have a few 64-bit cpu but, not that many. 

The Intel you be getting will work faster and won't seem to bog down as frequently as your old XP might have.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

Frozen it is under $125. I really don't understand the difference between 32, and 64. Learning. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

Here are the minimum requirements for Windows 10 on a computer.

• Processor:
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM:
    1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space:
    16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card:
    DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display:
    800x600 

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

Around $125 it's an ok deal, what I dislike - it says 32-bit Windows 7. Unless something miraculous has happened that I don't know about, Windows will only see definitely 3 of those 4 Gb.

I know money's an issue but, let your fingers do some more looking if $250 were more in your budget. Tigerdirect and other online vendors offer 64 bit Windows 7 and 8 starting around that figure. New for some laptop around the same figure, price point.

If they promise to give you a better CPU, 64-bit operating system and better hard drive it might be a better deal. Please tell me it's less than $125.

Personal opinion only - check out minimum system requirements for running Windows 10, I'm not near a computer right now, just a cellphone.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14
The Dell Refurbished 745 Desktop PC features an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB of system memory for fast computing. A DVD-RW drive lets you watch movies on DVD, listen to your music collection on CDs and create your own media discs. Refurbished Dell 745 Desktop PC: Key Features and Benefits: Intel Core 2 Duo processor 1.86GHz, 2MB Cache 4GB DDR2 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB) Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work 250GB SATA hard drive Store 166,000 photos, 71,000 songs or 131 hours of HD video and more DVD-RW Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 Additional Features: 8 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x headphone jack, 1 x microphone jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x serial communication port, 1 x parallel port, 1 x line in jack, 1 x VGA port 2 x low profile PCI slots, 1 x PCI Express (x1) slot, 1 x PCI Express (x16) slot, 1 x external 5.25" bay, 1 x internal 3.5" bay Software: Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here) Backup and Restore options built into Windows allow you to create safety copies of your most important personal files, so you're always prepared for the worst Support and Warranty: Refurbished items have a 1-year parts and labor limited warranty Recovery partition on Hard Drive
Kudos
Views