Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Windows 10 Version 2004 Problems

Social Butterfly

Windows 10 Version 2004 Problems

How many of you that use Windows and updated to Version 2004 are having problems.

Here is what I have had so far.

1. I had to go to Settings and reset my speakers so they would work.

2. I had to reset my default app so I can see my video from my  security cameras, I was getting a message that they could not be decoded after the update.

3. I am having problems with my wi-fi adapter, ASUS PCE-AC68 WLAN Adapter.

If I have more problems I'll list them. I am on my desktop, Windows 10 Home updated to Version 2004. I haven't had time to look at my two laptops and see if it caused problems on them.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@cat0w 

That’s gonna be fun then thought I was gonna go fishing. Then the skies opened up, and I found this again.

https://www.windowstimes.com/windows-10-version-2004-removes-advanced-update-deferral-options/

Think I’ll be reading manuals again.🤬

Thanx

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Super Contributor

@Frozenoem  Their forced updates and the problems they are causing, side effects and all, are not acceptable. I finally just had to download a 3rd party software that blocks them from the registry. I tried two of them that were supposed to let you pick the updates (an interface like the Windows 7 updates), etc., but I must have not known how to use it correctly. So I finally just went the blocking route. And I am SO glad I did. I keep antivirus up to date anyway.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CaliaRose 

If things were as easy as protecting against viruses, malware, ad ware still, I’d have no troubles ignoring security updates to Windows10 all flavors.

But, they don’t and aren’t.

Turning off updates is bad, delaying them a week or so until patches happen, are a wiser option.

That is if you desire to protect yourself from unpleasant surprises or oopsies.

Google - Windows10 CVE’s
Cumulative updates, security updates, etc for what all of the Microsoft patches fix - someday just for giggles.

For a little more in plain English, you could try -

Hazards of computers 

You might change your mind on not applying updates within a week or two of their appearance.

As it stands on a weekly basis, I get 10-50 Issues/ hacks that appear on most operating systems - Windows, Linux, Unix, Android, IOS, Mac’s, IOT (Internet of Things) like smart appliances with nothing more than a MAC address, etc.

My old Windows7 upgrade to Windows10 Home is still functioning and receiving updates, regularly. I have delayed a patch once or twice for a week but, never turned off entirely.

Your call🤣

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Regular Social Butterfly

@cat0w wrote:

How many of you that use Windows and updated to Version 2004 are having problems.

Here is what I have had so far.

1. I had to go to Settings and reset my speakers so they would work.

2. I had to reset my default app so I can see my video from my  security cameras, I was getting a message that they could not be decoded after the update.

3. I am having problems with my wi-fi adapter, ASUS PCE-AC68 WLAN Adapter.

If I have more problems I'll list them. I am on my desktop, Windows 10 Home updated to Version 2004. I haven't had time to look at my two laptops and see if it caused problems on them.

You may want to consider turning off Windows updates...

• Windows 10 Users, click or tap the Windows icon, lower left, then Settings, then scroll to and click or tap Update & Security.
  • Click or tap Pause updates for 7 more days, then click or tap Advanced options, scroll down and click or tap the dropdown under Pause until and pick a date beyond the 7 day (usually 14 days/2 weeks).

Also recommended if confident W10 user, turn off updates and manually perform when reports of major security issues:

• Click or tap the Windows icon.
  • Type services.msc
  • Click or tap the Services icon.
  • Scroll to Windows Update (wuaserv), tap or double-click, click or tap on Startup type dropdown and highlight Disabled.
  • Click or tap on Service status: Stop
  • Click or tap on Apply.

This will stop W10 updates (until MS sends through worm to reset; no one knows if/when that will happen).

When there are emergency updates you learn about that really matter, just reverse the settings.

Note, also check in Services for any other Windows Update services (such as Windows Update Media Service) that can be turned off without negative impact.

hth

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman     I like keeping all my devices up to date. I have solved all the problems I had and everything is back to normal. I created a new restore point now that I have everything working.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@cat0w 

Here’s an odd question for you does your Win10 Home version 2004 still allow you to defer updates.

In Enterprise it doesn’t seem to exist, a new feature NOT, a bug.

Read something about it in Windowstimes, etc.

Froze

Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem    Yes, this is what is available.

AARPPauseUpdates2004.jpg

Advanced Options

AARPPauseUpdates2004B.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@cat0w 

M$ is reporting issues With some installs using Win10 V. 2004

V2004 bug breaks storage spaces

You might like to read, I can’t update at moment, off-grid with really funky network and a repeater🤣.

You don’t use RAID do you?

Multiple storage drives?

I may actually hold off until I have 24-hour power, and real network for this one.

Reports of multiple issues at ZDNet, just for this 2004 version screwing up Outlook, Office365, blank or black displays, Chrome, etc.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP