You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Windows 10 Problems

Message 1 of 22

Microsoft wil NEVER call anyone.   Microsoft has no idea "you are having a problem" and will call you.  I did have a friend get a call and say "Microsoft" saw you were having a problem and they will fix it.  Well she gave them her CC# and was charged almost $200 to remote in to her PC and install a $30 software anti-virus program.

Again... Microsoft will NEVER call you.  It's a scam.

M. Butkus - Former School Tech for 31 years.   Been there, done that.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

Hi,

I realize your comments are from 2015, but I just received some answers from Microsoft via phone. I can go ahead and keep my 8.1.  There will be not issue with it and they stopped the system from downloading Windows 10 for me at no charge.  I was told that people are calling in to have Windows 10 removed from their computer.  Here's Microsofts number 1-800-642-7676.   I was given this number after requesting help via our computer conversation regarding my concerns.  It you are not sure.  You can call yellow page 800 information and they will confirm it is Microsofts number. 

Take care   :Woman Happy

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

There are many, many, MANY variations of this scam. I hear about it constantly. Check my site if you want some articles on it... search for "calling me" or "support scam" to begin with, because that's the key...

Basically if someone CALLS YOU, then you MUST be skeptical, and NEVER let them access your PC remotely.

If you feel like you need to continue the discussion with them (you don't), ask for a callback number. BUT if they give it to you, you must then VERIFY that number somehow. Here's the deal: a lot of these scammers have set up phone numbers for this very purpose. You THINK you're calling Microsoft/PC Repair/Dell/Someone else, but in fact you're just calling the scammer back.

It's gotten so bad that they now place ads in Google so that if you search for something like "Microsoft Support" you'll get a bunch of results that have nothing to do with Microsoft at all - they're all 3rd parties, and many of them are just ready to take advantage of you. (One clue? The phone numbers that show up in those search results to call for "Microsoft Support", "Gmail support", "Yahoo support" and others - are all the same. NO WAY would these companies all share legitimate support numbers.)

Bottom line: deal only with people you know and trust, people that YOU call, and not people who call you.

It's an epidemic. The "support scam" epidemic.

The "Leo" at https://askleo.com
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22
Oh pccare, were they speaking in very proper English with a little bot of Indian accent, if they called.

They usually send people into their event viewer a frightening place, every thing that ever went awry is on there.

I'd do previous message, then run with a Google either "MRT" or "MSRT" Microsoft malware program .
On 2 hours sleep my brain isn't working yet.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22
Not them specifically others - yes.

It's good you didn't bite.

Did you get an email or did you get flashing in an open browser window? Something like we have detected problems and if you download this we'll fix them for you.

Just another day in Paradise.

Reasons many, do a security update, update Java, Update Flash, update AntiVirus, take a couple of aspirins and Google/Bing - Microsoft scanner.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

after down loading windows 10 was you ever contacted by trial version PC care wanting to fix problems you were having.  They stated that they were working for the windows network and throught them they could fix all problems.  I did not trust this network and did not bite.  Has anyone else out  there run into this company.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22
Enter a body
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22
Google end of life for Windows 7, 8,8.1 and 10.
Windows 10 is the safest. Windows 10 is what 8 and 8.1 should have been, it even has a Start button.

I prefer Windows 10 it's easier to use than 8 and 8.1. Yes, there is a brief learning curve but, it's easy.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

All those concerned about Windows 10 :

Check out what Forbes.com  has to say about 10.

I don't know what to do either ; seems Microsoft isn't very forthcoming about answers !

What to do ? Will Windows 8 become 'extinct '? Should we stick with 8 ?

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22
I downloaded windows 10 on a flash drive now I don't know what to do with it. I think since I have an error code of approximately 17 that it could be. I'm giving up on it. Too many people are having trouble with it. Some like it others hate it. I think I will stay the way things are I don't usually give up. But I give. They have tried to download it every day since day one. If they can't do it. I certainly can't and don't care any longer. Thanks for your input.
Kudos
Views