Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

Windows 10 Hidden Tricks

You may want to look at these, Windows 10 Hidden Tricks.

Trusted Contributor

Windows 10?  The ultimate spyware system?

You may want to go to YouTube and check out Linus Tech Tips on the Windows 10 Ameliorated edition to find all about what Microsoft is up to these days and how to eliminate the unnecessary stuff in Windows 10.

"Don't worry about the oil running out, worry about the food running out"
Professor Al Bartlett PhD (emeritus 1923-2013)
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

YouTube channels TechGumbo and ThioJoe are also worthwhile.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Disable all of Windows search functions and indexing which will speed up your computer tremendously.  Get the free program "Search Everything".  You won't believe how fast it is!

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Thanks. There are some slick ones in there that I use, on occasion. Plus a few that I've wanted to try but hadn't yet ("God mode").

I am really enjoying the built-in virtual desktops; in the past this required special software. Windows has long had your familiar old "desktop" that you populate with different open applications, etc., which comes as a metaphor for an actual desktop covered with books, pictures, letters and other documents. Now, Windows lets you actually use several different desks! It's sort of like having several desks in your office (or home) where you attend to different tasks...financial work, hobbies, personal correspondence, recipe planning, etc...without having to set up your tools again for each task or role. Each virtual desktop need hold only the applications and documents necessary for the task, so there is no distraction from unrelated activities.

For example, one ongoing legal project I have requires my intense focus and concentration, so I created its own desktop that has been running for about a month. By having its own dedicated workspace (desktop) I minimize distractions and confusion by not having applications open that are not strictly necessary to this task. I can easily toggle back and forth between this and my "daily" desktop. I don't know if there's a maximum number of such virtual desktops but certainly more than 2 can be set up.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have no idea what you just explained. Can you please make it more simpler to understand?.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Ray, if you click the link in the original posting, it will take you to a page that has pictures and explanations of what's being mentioned. I've copied the original link for you but that's about as simpler as I can make it. Here it is but you'll have to click on it to see the page.

Windows 10 Hidden Tricks

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP