Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where is Windows 10 on my computer that I upgraded from Windows 8.1

Silver Conversationalist

Where is Windows 10 on my computer that I upgraded from Windows 8.1

Hey y’all. I need help with my 8-10 year old Dell Inspiron computer that came with Windows 8.1 ....before the end of support in a few weeks. I upgraded to Windows 10 for free...about 2-3 years ago... before the cutoff date.  After 10 was finished installing....I took the option to roll back to 8.1... with the option to roll back to 10 one last time....now I  have to find where Windows 10 is located on my computer & how to initiate the process going from 8.1 to 10...also to minimize loss of installed programs, & settings, ..., & have as much control over choices that I have now.. (like which programs run at startup). & when to install updates that are available ..... (but not auto installed)! 

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks ~Allen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Silver Conversationalist

Hi @Anonymous  😸

After spending all night.....countless restarts.....& updates & new messages to make decisions on  & &  & .....I have Windows 10.....

but as feared....lost many preferences settings programs etc. & control over choices that I had.... & just so much extra crap installed that  I don’t need or use 🙄😧😒...oh well...that’s progress FUR YA!🙃😸

Take care  ~Allen

View solution in original post

Conversationalist

If you have a pc or laptop running windows 7 or 8, you can update it to window10 free at anytime.

Don't believe that cut off date. Just go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow the instructions to download a copy of windows 10 image (iso). With the iso file, burn it into a bootable dvd or a bootable usb drive. If you want to keep you existing files and installed software, just run setup.exe from the dvd or usb file from your current OS.You may want to make a back up, but I have done it so many times without any issues. If you want start new, just boot from the dvd or the usb drive.

If you are running windows 10 already but having issues or problems updating. Use that copy of dvd or usb and run setup.exe. That would cleanup the problems too.

(I am not responsible of any data loss when following the above,)

Silver Conversationalist

Thanks @sc10

Take care  ~Allen

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (1/8/23) Good Luck Allen @Therapist4u 🙂 Nicole

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @Anonymous  😸

After spending all night.....countless restarts.....& updates & new messages to make decisions on  & &  & .....I have Windows 10.....

but as feared....lost many preferences settings programs etc. & control over choices that I had.... & just so much extra crap installed that  I don’t need or use 🙄😧😒...oh well...that’s progress FUR YA!🙃😸

Take care  ~Allen

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment 🥳 Happy New Year and glad you found some help. Can you update us?

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @Anonymous  &  @cat0w

After spending as many hours as possible of research 🤔....the update cutoff day is here....so I’m going for it tonight

I’ll either have an old but updated system 💻....that I’m grateful for 🙏....or I’ll have to buy one that I really can’t afford...oh well

Anyhoot.... Thanks😀

Take care  ~Allen

Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u 

Have you already looked at downloads? 

Get Windows 10 | Microsoft

Silver Conversationalist

Hi@cat0w ☃️

Thanks ....

Microsoft offered Windows 7 & 8.1 users a free upgrade to Windows 10...it ended on July 29, 2016. You could rollback ...which I did...but end of support for 7 was January 14, 2020 ...& 8.1 on January 10, 2023. However, you can still technically upgrade to Windows 10 for free for users who upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. I’m working on it now & update y’all later

Before downloading or installing anything new .....You should always have your data backed up to at least two external media destinations (external hard drive, DVDs, flash drive) in case of system file corruption and/or hard drive failure

Take care  🎅 ~Allen 🏂

Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u 

Are you still needing help or are you providing advice to us?

Both of my newer computers, a Dell desktop and a laptop have Windows 11 Pro 22H2 and my older Dell laptop has Windows 10 Pro with all updates.

I have two WDMYCLOUDS that are used to back up my computers to. I also use, One Drive.

Silver Conversationalist

Hi@cat0w

Thanks ....still working on it...I found some help & support from TechSupportForum.com....they’ve been around since 2002 ...anyone’s welcome to join for free....

Take care  🎉

Happy New Year wishes for you... & all my friends

I hope 2023 brings you lots of love, laughter and joy

🎊~Allen

Silver Conversationalist

Obviously the best option would be to buy a new laptop with Windows 11...but cannot afford one any time soon...

I too am having the Windows 8.1 nightmare.  I have a 2015 Dell laptop.  Of course they advise to purchase a new computer.  I would rather not as there is nothing wrong with the one I have and I'm very happy with all the features it has.  I tried just downloading the new Window 11 or even Windows 10.  Haven't had any success.  Your advice is more than appreciated!!  Believe me.  Bernadette

Conversationalist

Your hardware will not pass to run Windows 11. On the other hand, Windows 10 will most likely run. If you read my post on 1/9/2023, that gives you the steps to upgrade to Windows 10 and keep your data and software intact. An upgrade to a solid state drive will definitely give your PC a new life and speed that you will enjoy.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP