Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ˜ฑ What is your BACKUP when you lose CELL SERVICE?

Trusted Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ˜ฑ What is your BACKUP when you lose CELL SERVICE?

We (well some of us) have ONLY a Cell Phone. Gone are the days when a Landline was around. Gosh, even the Public Telephone Booths have disappeared.

Do you have a way to make and receive calls "especially" during an emergency IF you LOSE CELL PHONE SERVICE?  ๐Ÿค”

If YES, what is it...  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/29/24) Lol @sc10 , I am NOT into Technology but I am "referring" to the LAST HOME PHONE I had in Florida through BellSouth. Now that was when I was age 50, will be 66 this year!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @sc10 wrote:

What is landline? Are we talking about "copper wire" or just "home phone". I understand  copper wire is going away in 2025. A lot of so called landline is actually carried by internet. ***]

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

Now that was when I was age 50, will be 66 this year!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

You are just a "spring chicken".

Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/29/24) Well thank you @sc10  ๐Ÿ˜Ž  Gosh, some days I look around and wonder WHERE all the "familiar" things are. Oh well, I guess you LEARN "new" things or get left behind in a Nursing Home... ๐Ÿ™„

[*** @sc10 wrote:

You are just a "spring chicken". ***]

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

What I miss is the kind that comes in over copper phone lines to your house and does not come through the Internet. Old-school phone lines typically work even when the power is off because the voltage is very low and it comes in over the line. if I had one of those lines, I would have an old Bell telephone that doesn't need to be plugged in to house current. You can still get that service where I live but it costs $40-$50 a month and I'm not willing to pay that.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/29/24) Okay, so the OLD SCHOOL home phone is still around. Thanks @DirkB349973 , that was my question. I am on my daughter's T-Mobile Cell and Mobile wifi (a tiny unit I travel with) and she is in FLORIDA. I am thinking COX who does the "internet/cable" here in Virginia (I am NOT a customer) probably offers the INTERNET VERSION. Nope, lol - that GOES OUT when their service does. Yes, miss my old Bellsouth Home Phone  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** DIRK @DirkB349973 wrote:

What I miss is the kind that comes in over copper phone lines to your house and does not come through the Internet. Old-school phone lines typically work even when the power is off because the voltage is very low and it comes in over the line. if I had one of those lines, I would have an old Bell telephone that doesn't need to be plugged in to house current. You can still get that service where I live but it costs $40-$50 a month and I'm not willing to pay that. ***]

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

The home phone I have is a internet based VOIP service from OOMA. I am paying abut $6+ per month. My backup for power outage is an UPS battery to run the modem, router and the Ooma box. The internet service usually is active even during a power outage.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/29/24) The power outage is okay @sc10 as my Android works and I have a "mobile" CHARGER STICK from Walmart I keep charged = use to RECHARGE Android if needed. My concern is IF what happened to At&t happens to T-mobile = NO service to customers. Anyway, ...  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @sc10 wrote:

The home phone I have is a internet based VOIP service from OOMA. I am paying abut $6+ per month. My backup for power outage is an UPS battery to run the modem, router and the Ooma box. The internet service usually is active even during a power outage. ***]

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I still have my landline phone. My cell phone is with Straight Talk that is now a part of Verizon.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

If there is internet service, wifi calling will be the back up for cellular, provided there is a smart phone. Otherwise, the options are very limited.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/28/24) Thank you for "responding" @sc10   ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @sc10 wrote:

If there is internet service, wifi calling will be the back up for cellular, provided there is a smart phone. Otherwise, the options are very limited. ***)

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/26/24) I am withT-Mobile and feel sorry for the At&t customers with the recent loss of service. Made we think about the OPTIONS and realize I had none. Finally gave up my LANDLINE several years ago when I moved in with my last ex. His house didnot have one.

Anyway, wondering what you guys have in place.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP