Watch AARP’s Movies for Grownups awards show online! View the streaming video on PBS.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What apps work on the RealPad?

Message 11 of 16

Just in case Google Play Store is wrong in labeling the 2 apps are incompatible with RealPad  there is a easier way to get the apk files without going the route of using Raccoon. Just google the 2 apk and you will find other sites to download them. Do that with the RealPad so you don't need to get a PC involve. Go into settings, security, and check install from unknown source. Locate the apk and double click the file to install. Good luck.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

Well, sc10, I really am new to this Android world; I have only attempted 4 app installations.   So, I don't think I have hit any conflicts yet.

American Airlines and Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch both got immediate "Your device isn’t compatible with this version" messages at the Play Store. 

I have installed Skype and tested it today - the RealPad can make voice and video calls outbound (an iPad was on the other end).  However, Skype on the RealPad disconnects when the iPad places a voice with video call to it (voice only works incoming).

I have installed the Android TiVo app, also, but it won't let me "Set up in-home streaming" which is how I use TiVo on an an iOS tablet to download unwatched TV shows with to catch up on past episodes while riding in a car, train, or plane.  The featured is grayed out as though it is not an option.

I got the RealPad as a Christmas present for someone who doesn't want to bother with all the bells and whistles of fancier devices, but I can't seem to get things he wants working for him.   

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

I have used Android for many years and I have a pretty high end phone and a very dated tablet. From my experience, when you log into your Play Store account, Google is aware of what devices you have. When you select an app, it knows if the app is compatible to your devices. When it says it is not compatitble it is ususally hardware related and I don't think there is much hope of getting it installed. The process you discribed in obtaining the apk file by Raccoon and installing the apk, I believe it is called side loading. It works when you have an apk that is not approved by Play Store, but you can get it from Amazon. You can download the apk with Raccoon side load it into your device, provided the hardware is compatible.

One thing I am not sure from reading your posts is at what stage you found out the app cannot be installed? At the Play Store  or after downloading and during installation? If it is the latter, may be the new app is conflicting with something you already installed. Then you can solve it by uninstall the other app. The RealPad is running "KitKat" which is almost the latest Android version. I would expect it to run almost any apps.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

Thanks, retiredtraveler.  I am new to the Android world.  I had done the search for the message, but with RealPad as an additional search argument and got nowhere.

I do see a number of potential solutions, but some of them are way above my pay level.  The following seems the safest, but still is difficult for me to understand:

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-incompatible-apps-from-google-play-onto-your-android-d...

It requires me to learn how to do things like transferring the .APK file to the RealPad which at this point I don't know how to do.  I will reserch that, too.

However, I would like a response from the AARP technical people, please.  I am not trying to access unusual apps.  Again, an example is the American Airlines app for traveling to keep track of my flight reservations and any flight alerts while traveling. 

Again, I appreciate your response and nudge, retiredtraveler.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

"..... Just setting up a RealPad that was a Christmas gift.  I have gotten the message

Your device isn’t compatible with this version.....".

I don't have personal experience with this, but since I'm interested in getting a tablet, I looked this up. If you 'Google' your message, you'll find this to be a universal problem that may have a fix, if you can wade through all the forums out there that have suggestions for fixes.

You can't ask what apps will work --- there are literally hundreds of thousands of apps. You have to try to figure out why something is incompatible.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

What apps work on the RealPad?

Message 16 of 16

Just setting up a RealPad that was a Christmas gift.  I have gotten the message

Your device isn’t compatible with this version.

for 2 out of the 3 Android apps I have tried to install - American Airlines and Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch.  Only Skype has worked.  The AARP support line could not help.  Does anyone know why these Android apps do not work on the RealPad tablet?

Kudos
Views
Replies