Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿ–ฅ What Do U Like/Dislike About YOUR Cell/WiFi PROVIDER? What DEVICE(s) Are U Using?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿ–ฅ What Do U Like/Dislike About YOUR Cell/WiFi PROVIDER? What DEVICE(s) Are U Using?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

*READ comment, ADD a comment*

(1) Getting very COMPETITIVE out there = PROMISES from THEM to us (affordable plans). ๐Ÿ™„

(2) WE would luv to hear from U! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Nicole ๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿ–ฅ (Technology Forum)

Trusted Social Butterfly

I may sound like an old broken record fuddy duddy. I can remember when all we had was landlines the older generation (our parents & grandparents) complained about phone calls interrupting Dinner Time...etc.. They called it an invasion of privacy yadda yadda yadda.
But...
Now that phones are strapped to our hips they are literally a constant presence. And although this state of affairs has led to repeated examples of dangerously addictive behavior, we take them for granted. Like a drunk or a junky thinking they can't live without their substance of choice.
With landlines we had prank calls, phone sex, harassment calls and telemarketers. Now we have all that plus distracted driving, location tracking, hacking, and the murky hazards of social media on top of, "Why the .... didn't you answer the phone? I know you have a cell! What do you mean it was turned off...are you trying to hide something?".
Technology is only as good or bad as we use it. I like having an emergency communication device on my person. I like being able to make and receive phone calls more easily. I don't like the wrecklessly competetive environment and manner in which the overall package evolved.
....Turn phones off when driving...turn phones off during meals...turn phones off during meetings - church or otherwise...students in classrooms don't need to have phones (especially pre-collegiate students)...what the heck...if you're taking a walk with a loved-one, turn the flippin' phone off and flip-off anyone who tries to chastise you for doing so.
Really, if we just mitigate our egos with a little mindful humility we can reduce stress simply by accepting that we are not so important that we have to be 'Connected' and 'Available' all the time.  This would contribute to a culture that manages technology instead of being managed by the purveyors of technology.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Thank you for your perspectives @SpringIsHereSoHappy  @KellytheBelly  and @Tempest332  Just goes to show ya never know what might spark a conversation. And thank you for illustrating that my opinion, as expressed, was apparently less mindful than I hoped.
It's not an anti-technology rant: "Technology is only as good or bad as we use it". Technology is an indicator of Progress. Implementation is also an indicator of Progress. It comes back to 'How a goal is accomplished is at least as important as the Accomplishment'.
The beef isn't with wireless technology it is with how the technology has been (and is being) deployed. Many phones these days list Airplane Mode as a feature. Twenty years ago people were dying in airplane crashes while wireless service providers and equipment manufacturers were arguing that 'More proof was needed' to demonstrate their role in those deaths. That is an example of what, 45 years ago, we would've called a 'Gun Model' because they are patting themselves on the back for solving a problem of their own making. If the device is to be used as a GPS device in a moving car, have a GPS Only Mode so the device performs the needed function without the risk of additional unexpected distraction. Prevention of the problem would be a true accomplishment.
I don't buy the excuse that these things are unforeseeable. That is just an excuse used by a culture that over emphasizes competition for market share, profit margin and stock value as decision making factors. And the assertion that Prevention is of less value because it can't be proved without a body count is an antisocial absurdity.

Our technology will continue to evolve as long as humanity continues to evolve. The matter at hand is the ways we implement new technology also evolve with us and currently we need that evolution to start trending in a healthier direction. At least attempt to foresee complications with other technology like we do with possible drug interactions. Prioritize Safety over Time to Market. Certainly encourage people to feel free to make their device unavailable to the network. And separate themselves physically, psychologically, socially and spiritually from their device(s).

Bronze Conversationalist

@EricC28201 Even with my background working in automation engineering & software, being a Ham op (former, I can't figure out online payments to renew my license), some things bewilder me.  I have never sent a txt message via phone or ever used a monolithic mobile phone. 

I actually just looked up the full definition of "Airplane Mode" to fully understand it.  I've just shut power off the few times I have flown with a mobile phone.   I can remember when the airlines frowned on Walkman's on a plane, it was always fun to listen to the range of FM signals bouncing around while in the air, & made the time pass quickly. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Not sure what you mean by monolithic mobile phone.

You're not missing out on anything in. re. txt messaging.  If you ever used instant messaging on a computer or one of those chat windows to get help on a web site, it's pretty much the same thing.  I do some phone texting, but mostly because I work nights and sometimes it's important to share a thought at the moment, but not important enough to wake somebody up.

The Walkman thing is kinda on point...The airlines didn't like them because they were afraid of losing money....Walkman was an alternative to paying for headphones they offered.  Wireless companies were afraid admiting to being a factor in plane crashes would hurt their profit margin.

...Just out of curiosity...would Airpane Mode help around sensitive medical equipment?

Bronze Conversationalist

@EricC28201  Speaking of interference with medical devices, we recently had a bad power supply on a LED light panel in one of our our labs creating havoc with a component.  So all these electronic devices out there even outside of phones can create issues.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hiya @Tempest332 .  This reminds me of the 1st Desktop P.C. my employer gave me.  286 processor running Windows 3.1, and the A Drive was prone to I/O errors.  Techs confirmed the errors, but could not figure out a solution.

This was back when it was customary to have the chassis horizontal on the desktop and the monitor sitting on top of it.  After the Techs gave up and left I decided to try putting some distance between the chassis and the CRT's elctromagnetic field.  The cables were so short my only easy option was to stand the chassis on its side on the floor and leave the CRT sitting on the desktop.  It worked.  The A Drive was fine after that.

Bronze Conversationalist

@EricC28201 They sometimes would put a choke or coil on the video cable on monitors, possibly a cure. 

I had an Insignia CRT monitor, that gave me a splitting headache after a half hour in front of it.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

That's interesting @Tempest332 .  Although I never experienced the CRT Headache symptoms I remember some of my co-workers having the experience.  Some of them remedied the problem by putting a fine mesh screen in front of the face of the monitor.  I don't remember the reasoning behind remedy, just that a few of them found that it solved the problem.

Bronze Conversationalist

@EricC28201  Monolithic phone = Those black frail oversized clunky pieces of glass everyone is enamored with.

Airplane mode?  I wouldn't think at a far enough proximity a phone/laptop would not have an effect on the unit. I know the guys still used their phones in/near the test bays with these units with no ill effects.  The units I worked on the were PC based either Windows &/or Linux depending.  We also stayed away from units after setup when testing the nuclear cameras. I think when I actually had to use one I could not have any electronic device on me (phone, car remote fob), but could be in the room. 

It seemed a lot of the online chat services just went way (AIM, yahoo!), those were rather fun at times, but became infiltrated with spam & bots.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Thursday 1/18/24)

@Tempest332 , I have NOT flown in years, but when I go see my doctor, they have a SIGN up about NO CELL PHONE use in their building. Yes, they probably "interfere" with their Medical Equipment BUT with the Random Mass Shootings = I NEED to be able to call 911 while I hide somewhere in a building.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I have worked for medical device companies, & yes these HF devices can interfere with frequency sensitive medical equipment, MRI, SPECT CT & such.

I would just let someone else call "911", you have way more chances of getting hit on the way to your appointment by a yahoo driving while diddling with their phone, than being in a random shooting, I was sitting at a Dr. waiting area in September, all 14 of the other people there were diddling with their phones, so not sure where they draw the lines.    

Never dial 911 - Hunter S. Thompson.

Never-Call-911-500x512.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Bet you can remember the party line too (I can). 

Still have a landline (though now a VOIP) & an answering machine, that is filled with hangups, & calls for Medicare supplements, my ID log is filled to the point I wouldn't know if I got a legit call. 

My mobile was off recently for over 10 days & I didn't realize it.  Debating of canning it, though costing me about $80-90 a year. Though seldom look at it or use it. 

I'm one of the few not living in the mobile phone cult. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Wednesday 1/17/24)

Lol, yes, @Tempest332 - my Grandparents had one and whenever I spent the Summer Holidays (school) I would "listen in" on all the gossip!!!  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

Now of course it was NO FUN when I NEEDED to make a call.  ๐Ÿ™„

Had to keep "checking" to see IF I got a DIAL TONE instead of VOICES.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Early on (until I was about 5 or so), my parents had a Party line. 

For "gossip" it was much better with Radio scanners & the early 46mhz Cordless phones (& baby monitors).  You pretty much could hear the entire neighborhood. 

Even the early Cell phones were on the 800mhz band, until the scanner manufactures were blocking that spectrum. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

*READ comment, ADD a comment*

(1) Getting very COMPETITIVE out there = PROMISES from THEM to us (affordable plans). ๐Ÿ™„

(2) WE would luv to hear from U! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Nicole ๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿ–ฅ (Technology Forum)

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿ–ฅ You Donโ€™t Need to Pay for Antivirus, Experts Say (AARP Article)

๐Ÿ—ฃBy Rob Pegoraro, AARP. February 27, 2023.

๐Ÿ‘‰Link to information๐Ÿ‘ˆ 

Any comments? ๐Ÿค”

I am using the one that came with my android.

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Anonymous
Not applicable

(2 comments) Anyone purchased a NEW Cell phone this year? ๐Ÿค”

I need to upgrade myself....

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , talk to your daughter and she can probably set you up with a new phone on her family plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (Saturday 6/3/23)

I "prefer" these BUT the NEW "prices" since they are now POPULAR!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Any comments? ๐Ÿค”

BEST foldable phones of 2023 | Tom's Guide.

๐Ÿ—ฃBy Philip Michaels last 6/1/23.

๐Ÿ‘‰Phones information๐Ÿ‘ˆ 

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Bronze Conversationalist

Ouch & @ what cost.... my flip phone (Alcatel A406DL) that is supposevely smart was $19.99 back in January... so yes I had to get a new phone this year the hinge went bad on the LG at the end of the year (lasted just less than 2 years).   As it tries to be a "smart" phone, the Software is wonky on it & sometimes painful to navigate, I don't use it that much though, much rather use my home phone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (Thursday 6/1/23)

๐Ÿ“‹How To SAVE Money on Cell Phone Service.

Any comments? ๐Ÿค”

(1) Switch to a New Cell Phone Carrier.

(2) Know How Much Data You Need.

(3) Add Lines or Join a Family Plan.

(4) Sign Up for Autopay.

(5) Ask About Additional Discounts.

(7) Donโ€™t Upgrade Your Phone.

(8) Drop the Cell Phone Insurance.

๐Ÿ—ฃMY COMMENT: I am on my daughter's T-Mobile cell plan and ONLY "upgrade" when I have to. I already feel bad about her paying my bill - she insists.

Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous 

Communications utilities (cable, phones.. etc.) tend to be the biggest ripoff, & folks just rationalize they can't be without these things now.   I'm likely going to lose my current pay as you go plan toward the end of this year.   This works wonders for me since I don't use it much.   I don't see where #3 would work (adding lines?).  Autopay with communications, they're the  only utilities I didn't allow "Carte Blanche" with my checking account, as I never knew when they were going to slip something in unknowingly. 

Silver Conversationalist

My cell is a OnePlus and I use Google Fi. It has unlimited calls & texts. It can be used in foreign countries without putting in a different sim card.  My cost runs from 19 to 23 monthly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

10  comments (Monday 5/29/23)

I just READ this on Google News! Any comments? ๐Ÿค”

๐Ÿ“‹Why Gen Zers are gobbling up flip phones and rejecting smartphones | Fox News.

๐Ÿ—ฃPublished May 28, 2023 12:08pm EDT.

๐Ÿ‘‰Link to article๐Ÿ‘ˆ 

I prefer a "flip" phone, BUT luv many "features" on my android. Lol, IF I could get a "flip" with ALL of what my android has - I would be SO HAPPY! ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿฅณ

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Super Contributor

I occasionally watch some Korean shows on Netflix and I see a lot of what appears to be flip phones, but they really look like modern phones with foldable screens. Some of them have dual displays so that you can see who's calling without opening the phone. I have to imagine that, those are the flip phones that will become popular if they aren't already. I can't imagine giving up a handheld computer for one of the old style flip phones. Plus, I don't think the old 3G technology is well supported anymore so they probably don't work with the modern cell providers . 

Bronze Conversationalist

Where can you actually put one of those large clunky monolithic devices?  They are really too big to put in a pocket, in the back pocket you can sit on them.  I've even had my flip fall out of my shirt pocket.  Women are at an advantage with a purse.

You are correct, the US carriers are phasing out 3G, though 3G is still used in Asia & other areas of the world.  They do make 4G & 5G flip phones (limited models), though now they are incorporating the smart phone "apps" within which I think is a big mistake.  The cameras, & video capabilities are great, though I no longer need these accessories (about 20-30 years too late) I wanted something simple to just make & receive a call.

The ones you are seeing in the movies are the folding screens & are $1K & up.  I had a LG Flip I got a little over 2 years back that I grew to actually like, but the hinge contacts went south on it about 6 months back. . 

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 comments (5/30/23) 

@Tempest332 , my purse or thing I hang around my neck so I can access cell without digging in my purse. Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Bronze Conversationalist

Purse is cheating, so you use a lanyard?  Mine goes into my desk drawer when I get to work, therefore can't drop it or lose it.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

4 comments (5/30/23) Hi Dirk @DirkB349973 , and probably will be way more EXPENSIVE than the "flip" I had with T-Mobile I bet.

Had to get the "android" I NOW have (since 2018) because they said they NO longer "supported" the "flip" ๐Ÿ™„

Lol, NOW need to UPGRADE this "android"....

Hmmm, would be AWESOME if they OFFER these NEW "flip" set ups. Lol, tired of my phone DIALING my contacts when it feels like it. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks for taking time out of your "busy" day/night to comment.

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP