AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The new Laptop mombo-opinions needd

Message 11 of 14
Surface seems to have a design defect, in that if used until warm and then placed within 4 feet of cold air (think Winter) the screens will crack.

Which tends to make that dandy touch screen a pita to use. Esp, if trying to use "oak" admit that last bit is levity my niece has had 2 3's to date.

Froze
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 14

Let me second the Lenovo comment. I keep hearing good things. If I were in the market, that's what I'd look at. That or a Surface Pro 3.

The "Leo" at https://askleo.com
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 14

Rich,

Judging by what comes into the  shop, Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway at least up here have greatest amount of repairs of components, hdd, or motherboards, and occasional Dell stinky laptop. What I don't see are - Lenovo, IBM , Asus, or my own brand.

Build quality new or used, support, etc. I get happy. Just google/bing lenovo.com for better than store costs from web presence. My personal machine (Lenovo V570) I bought from Lenovo with a $15 hdd upgrade for $450 back in 2010. 1Tb hdd, 8 Gb Ram, and fingerprint and facial recognition. Check out Lenovo Y40-80 for giggles. Yes, I have my business machine by me but, I like my IBM/Lenovos, all 5 or 6 that still work and go back to DOS. Geez, that makes me a IBM/Lenovo fanboi. 

Intel i5 5th generation, and i7 4th generations rock, AMD's I just have never cared for same as their motherboards.My druthers are Intel graphics vs nVidia but, my choices are just that mine.  Battery life of around 3-5 hours is a norm to shoot for.

You asked for the non-salesman opinion, I don't sell Lenovo or IBM or Asus. I have sold Dell and
Acers in the past, I don't now.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

The new Laptop mombo-opinions needd

Message 14 of 14

I am just looking for a little unbiased (not from the salesman) opinion on purchasing a new PC laptop. 

I have a Dell Latitude that is about 8 years old.  It is getting slow and grumpy but still works.  I keep drifting over to the computer section of any stores we wander through. Last time, I did not pay enough attention to what I was getting (my opinion) so this time I am trying to be a bit more knowledgeable.  I am looking at a PC machine because I use Word, Excel, Access, and Quicken (windows) the most.  I have a MacBook and don't use it for much but love it. 

I am pretty sure I want at least 6 GB of ram.  I was thinking a TB of hard drive storage. That may be overkill as I only have 4 GB ram and 256 GB storage now. Still, the jump from 750 to 1 TB is not that pricey.

I have done a little research and it looks like the I5 processor is what I would need. This is the area I am least well informed.  

I am not worried about weight or battery life.  I very seldom go more than a couple of hours on battery and I usually set up at whatever charity I am volunteering so I am not lugging this thing through airports.  As I said, I use the MacBook for trips to the coffee shop etc. 

I would really like some feedback. especially about processors.  

Thanks

Kudos
Views
Replies